Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I've been nodding along with everything I've read in the last few posts. I (and most of us I guess) have been guilty of being snide about some of the social media stuff when it approached shark-jumping territory (which it undoubtably did on occasions) but I think it's fair to say that they pretty much redefined what club media could do for mid to small teams. You still see echoes of what we were doing across Scottish clubs today.

The exec board consciously moved away from being cutting edge as a cost saving exercise and I think that has been to our clear detriment (and that is absolutely no slight on the folk still working their arses off on it today BTW as it's still of a really high standard). 

The fact that over the past decade, we've been a factory that has helped move countless players - academy, loans and ex-jobbers - onto much more money/bigger clubs/first team football is the most important story that we have from a pure business perspective. The factory has probably generated more money than the "merit" income from the actual football and so we should be shouting about that so every player and agent hears it. Savvy agents will be thinking about their client's next move and I don't think any comparable club has the track record that we have in helping them do that.

I think the entire tone of the investment patter even from before the video showed the club in a really negative light (almost as a failing business) when we should be shouting about how good we are at helping players careers and making relatively serious amounts of money from doing so.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

And without downplaying what they did - they had a great plan and executed brilliantly - it wasn't exactly reinventing the wheel here.

Totally agree. The majority of the things that played out in terms of coverage and success were doing the basics really well. Get your message set, get it to people who you know/like/have relationships with, then get them to put it to the general public.

The board, broadly, had the advantage, imo. You've got the opportunity to sell something new and exciting, but failed in almost every respect to hit that line, which speaks to an ignorance or arrogance that was unwarranted. 

24 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The board, broadly, had the advantage, imo. You've got the opportunity to sell something new and exciting, but failed in almost every respect to hit that line, which speaks to an ignorance or arrogance that was unwarranted. 

Pure speculation but I suspect would guess there was stuff behind the scenes we have not yet heard...some will likely leak out over the next WS and club AGMs but we'll probably never know everything.

Because you're absolutely right, while the club may have been selling a poor deal, in pure terms of the campaign, they started very much with the high ground and then simply didn't bother contesting it.

If I had to bet, it would be that Barmack realised that the amateurs he was dealing with were inside rather than outside the boardroom and a culmination of things led him to change his mind. And I don't mean when the writing was on the wall in terms of the vote, he had clearly chucked it by the time he produced that plan.

20 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Too busy playing Barbie and drawin with crayons otherwise. 

Now they've released a "blind" Barbie it can only mean one thing: the other have been watching you all these years and gossiping about you when your back is turned.

3 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The only time the club media ripped my knitting was shoving a camera in someone's face at full time when we'd just been pumped 4-0 at home. The rest of it has been pretty sound. 

Aye, the "Live, Laugh, Love" type posts after defeats with "we know we have to do better" and 👏 💪 in them really wound me up. I'm fairly sure my response to those posts a number of years ago are what led to Brannan blocking me on Twitter. 😅 🙃

39 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The only time the club media ripped my knitting was shoving a camera in someone's face at full time when we'd just been pumped 4-0 at home. The rest of it has been pretty sound. 

34 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Aye, the "Live, Laugh, Love" type posts after defeats with "we know we have to do better" and 👏 💪 in them really wound me up. I'm fairly sure my response to those posts a number of years ago are what led to Brannan blocking me on Twitter. 😅 🙃

They were fully committed to the bit on that stuff. During shite runs of form, I used to get angrier at the "righting the wrongs" and "hard yards on the training pitch" posts than the defeats themselves.

If it is indeed us that are signing him - you have to believe we would have agreed to him staying in Oz until his wife gave birth. Probably some more time on top of that also. Means we may not see him nor have official confirmation for a wee while yet as he would need to pass a medical once he gets over here I would assume ? 

Also suspect with it being a newborn baby his Mrs won’t move over for quite some time. At least until he hopefully settles. The all being well we can sell him to some team somewhere warm for £2m+ in a year’s time. 

Edited by welldaft

Just the 2 (TWO) page feature in the sports section of the Heil today. :lol:

IMG_7002.thumb.jpeg.5da6a1327f93b14839ce3006da580c8b.jpeg

For clarity, I saw Sean post about this earlier and tbqh my curiosity got the better of me (the online version is behind their paywall).

And was it worth it? The shame of buying a copy of a Fascist newspaper to read a Special Report referencing The Thread on Pie & Bovril in it (more than once)?

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Oli Shaw scoring against Ross County, Kettlewell's ability to develop strikers really is unreal. 

Nice finish too. 

Been watching Aberdeen v Airdrie. Hate to say it but been really impressed with Airdrie. Some really nice passing moves even out from the back and they have just taken a deserved lead. Aberdeen have had their chances to be fair including a one on one. 

Clyde beating Thistle 2-1 is also a decent result so far 🤞. Probably will change. I was quite impressed with Clyde at the weekend. By far the better of the 3 teams we had played so far. 

I've been watching Thistle vs Clyde to get an idea of what we might face on Sunday. Lee Ashcroft on the left side of Thisle's defence having an absolute shitemare. Farcical back pass og that resulted in their keeper colliding with the post and going off injured, followed by being easily swept aside by Dunnachie for Clyde's 2nd. A weak link to be targeted for sure if he starts against us.