Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Is it possible to go and delete the bit where someone might have agreed that it wouldn't make much sense to sign him to replace Kipre - asking for a friend.

I'll chuck it out there...given Hartley's start to the season it probably makes sense to bring Aldred back to let #Pete6 get his match-sharpness back at his own pace.

It must be a bit mental that one set of supporters are giving you dogs abuse and telling you to f**k off and the other set are offering you a pint/marriage/a go on their sister if you sign on. 

I'm honestly not sure what Bury fans were seeing as he was the epitome of the no-nonsense centre half with us - and at a higher level than bury, who are playing in a league where our worst rejects can get signed...

ETA - Also, yet another triumph for the Steelmen ITK'ers - "He'll no be back" :)

Edited by Swello

1 hour ago, Swello said:

It must be a bit mental that one set of supporters are giving you dogs abuse and telling you to f**k off and the other set are offering you a pint/marriage/a go on their sister if you sign on. 

I'm honestly not sure what Bury fans were seeing as he was the epitome of the no-nonsense centre half with us - and at a higher level than bury, who are playing in a league where our worst rejects can get signed...

ETA - Also, yet another triumph for the Steelmen ITK'ers - "He'll no be back" :)

Steelmen ITK'ers had him signing for St. Mirren a couple of hours ago.

In fairness I think the general line back at the start of the summer was that he had no intention of signing with us permanently. Going by the reports this is another loan so I'd say that probably still holds.

As far as the Bury fans go it's weird because by all accounts the version of Aldred we've seen has been similar to the Blackpool version. He captained them to promotion via the play-offs. Whether he just didn't suit Bury or the team he was chucked into were just mind-blowingly shite IDK but their take on him has been pretty much the polar opposite of what we've seen.

Totally take the whole "he's not a Kipré replacement" argument but regardless it'll be good to have him back if only because he was solid as f**k last season. Also, going by Burrows tweet the other day after Kipré left we're in for more than one defender so who knows the other one may be more Kipré-esque in terms of attributes.

Either way....

Spoiler

_101665539_aldred.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Is it possible to go and delete the bit where someone might have agreed that it wouldn't make much sense to sign him to replace Kipre - asking for a friend.

It’s strange, I’m still not convinced he’s what we really need but I’m still very happy he’s back. It reminds of the last 8 odd times we signed Faddy..

In all seriousness with Dunne out long term, Hartley finding his way back to fitness and Donnelly still finding his feet - he clearly improves on the centre backs options we currently have so in that regard I’m more than happy to have him back. Our defence has hardly convinced so far this season in his absence so he’s hardly stepping on anybody’s toes either, although all the chopping and changing between games can’t have helped. 

Will be interesting  to see if he and Hartley can indeed operate in the same back 3 as they both seem ideally suited to that same central role. Whatever we do I imagine Robinson will want to pick a defence and stick to it, something we’ve been unable to do so far this season.

Last seasons back 3 and Carson picked itself, I don’t think we’ve played the same defence 2 games running so far? In fact I’m not even sure we’ve finished many games with the same defence that started this season.

Edited by Casagolda

Allegedly- I read it on Twitter-  the Bury fans' hatred of Aldred is down to him being from Bolton.  No connection to the football team,but apparently being born in the town is enough :lol:

I believe the word for that is "tinpot"

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil