Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 hours ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

Do they not usually have hustings for well society elections? "Can all candidates please give their opinion on the previous takeover offer and whether they would have accepted it"

In an election though if there are 7 candidates, one “runs” on a “would have accepted” basis, they could get 20% of the vote and each of the other 6 candidates share 80% between them.  I’m not trying to be contrary - I just think you don’t always get what you want even if people openly declare what they would/wouldn’t have voted. 

1 hour ago, Ceiling Granny said:

In an election though if there are 7 candidates, one “runs” on a “would have accepted” basis, they could get 20% of the vote and each of the other 6 candidates share 80% between them.  I’m not trying to be contrary - I just think you don’t always get what you want even if people openly declare what they would/wouldn’t have voted. 

Also, if enough people elect someone who wholeheartedly supported the deal - that would be perfectly democratic and fine

In the same way we worried about this place being an echo chamber (turns out it wasn't though) - having different views on the WS board would be a pretty healthy thing. The main problem with the handling of the Wild Sheep deal was that there was no-one on the Exec Board putting the contrary point of view - it was a failure of groupthink and it wouldn't be wise to replicate that on the WS board IMO.

Lastly - whoever proposes that The Thread© finally gets to nominate a rep to the Exec Board will be getting my vote. Would also consider a single-issue Pakora Hut candidate.

As for increasing revenue if the club charge 50p a letter for the new striker's whole name on the back of strips then we will be the biggest club in the UK by the end of the season. Obviously every strip will need to be 5XL to fit his full name.

2 hours ago, tonicg said:

I liked the look of Zack Flatman who played in the middle of the back 3. Seemed really comfortable on the ball and tried to play intelligent passes. 

Luca Ross went off with a head knock early on and was replaced by Nathan Lawson who was born in 2008. I think he was the youngest on the pitch but had some nice touches and should've scored at least 2.

2008.....deary me.

Aye.

I thought that they seemed pretty composed in general defensively. Even after McGinn and Kaleta went off.

Looking at the stats from last night East Stirling only managed 6 shots on goal in total. 1 on target.

IMG_7018.thumb.jpeg.653f867f617e451dee577002443b9997.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Swello said:

Lastly - whoever proposes that The Thread© finally gets to nominate a rep to the Exec Board will be getting my vote. Would also consider a single-issue Pakora Hut candidate.

Started a new contract in Farnborough, Hampshire on Monday, and the area has a significant Nepalese community due to the Ghurkas in the past. Personally prefer Nepalese over Punjabi (Central Belt) and Bengali (ubiquitous in England), so looking forward to visiting Ghurka Palace tonight. Will duly report later.

41 minutes ago, Swello said:

Would also consider a single-issue Pakora Hut candidate.

My vote goes to this person.

Just now, Dan Electro said:

Started a new contract in Farnborough, Hampshire on Monday, and the area has a significant Nepalese community due to the Ghurkas in the past. Personally prefer Nepalese over Punjabi (Central Belt) and Bengali (ubiquitous in England), so looking forward to visiting Ghurka Palace tonight. Will duly report later.

Nepalese food is dynamite. Momos washed down with a cool, refreshing Gurkha lager.

51 minutes ago, Well Well said:

As for increasing revenue if the club charge 50p a letter for the new striker's whole name on the back of strips then we will be the biggest club in the UK by the end of the season. Obviously every strip will need to be 5XL to fit his full name.

Most need to wear 5xl with these macron sizes though so it shouldn't be an issue 

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Nepalese food is dynamite. Momos washed down with a cool, refreshing Gurkha lager.

I went to Nepal a couple of times (fucking great place) and my abiding memory of the food was eating Dal Bhat multiple times every day. I like curried lentils as much as the next man - but I was going out my nut by about the 2 week mark. I almost offered to marry the cook in a place when he served up a plate of Pakuada/Pakora alongside the Dal Bhat.

They also had a brilliant line in knock-off versions of European beers - "San Miguel" was very drinkable, "Tuborg" was genuinely horrible and "Guinness" was just lager with black food colouring. 

12 minutes ago, Swello said:

They also had a brilliant line in knock-off versions of European beers - "San Miguel" was very drinkable, "Tuborg" was genuinely horrible and "Guinness" was just lager with black food colouring. 

I personally consider San Miguel as Filipino, and not Spanish. The stubbies in the Philippines are excellent.

Some account on twitter, rangers related, saying his info is solid re Lennon Miller.

apparently we want 2m upfront, rangers want to pay it in installment's but the hope is we cave on deadline day.

Quite a few things in the story that don't add up. The fee and selling our best player on deadline day.

his original tweet said his info came from an ex player who's now at Motherwell. HIYA Andy.

11 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Some account on twitter, rangers related, saying his info is solid re Lennon Miller.

apparently we want 2m upfront, rangers want to pay it in installment's but the hope is we cave on deadline day.

Quite a few things in the story that don't add up. The fee and selling our best player on deadline day.

his original tweet said his info came from an ex player who's now at Motherwell. HIYA Andy.

Lol.

Based on what I've heard, Miller has absolutely no desire to go to either of the OF. He backs himself to be of a far, far better standard than that in terms of his next move.

Also, £2m? Nope.

Edited by StAndrew7

8 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Feel the need to add that it's the same account that has in the recent past claimed to be an ex-pro who played for Rangers for 4 years. An attention seeking weirdo.

Also posted this last week claiming Lee Miller is English

(He was born in Lanarkshire)

12 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Just saw the Tweet above but aye that laddie has been trying with that for a few weeks. Even the **** in his comments and QTs have been calling him a slaver.

I hadn't realised this was an ongoing thing, There did seem to be too many holes in the story to be true.

@StAndrew7 That is good to hear. I guess he doesn't have to look very far (Bailey Rice, Jake Hastie and to a lesser extent David Turnbull) to see that a move to the old firm isn't all champagne and roses.

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Just saw the Tweet above but aye that laddie has been trying with that for a few weeks. Even the **** in his comments and QTs have been calling him a slaver.

Yeah was about to ask if it was that roaster, as well.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Also, got a sighting of Tam Sparrow in the wild and he was...fine. Got about the park, kept the ball moving. Absolutely not a solution to our creativity but he wasn't tripping over the ball or anything.

Someone over on yon other board said they thought he didn't look anywhere near ready for first team based on last night's game. I never thought Sparrow was going to be a regular starter in the team this season; definitely felt like a "project". I guess part of the want to have him ready is the dearth of options we have in there right now and hoping something else can work.

Edited by StAndrew7

Neither side of the Old Firm strikes me as particularly likely, really. I'm sure they'd both love to have him, and- thank f**k he isn't- if he was OOC would be all over him, as a project like Barron etc. Due to finances/snobbery/all of the above though, I don't think they're ever going to give a diddy Scottish team £3m+ for a player that doesn't walk straight into their team. Despite Miller obviously being fucking class, I think his age and the nature of the deep-lying midfield role he plays means he wouldn't be more than a rotation option for a season or two at least. 

It seems more likely that a Premier League team would see the sort of money we're asking for as a reasonably low risk fee for a player to develop over a few years, rather than the OF who would likely expect a bit more of an immediate impact.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It seems more likely that a Premier League team would see the sort of money we're asking for as a reasonably low risk fee for a player to develop over a few years, rather than the OF who would likely expect a bit more of an immediate impact.

Aye, this. Preferably with a loan back to us for another season!