Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The whole investment thing was an unmitigated fiasco and I was highly critical of almost every aspect of Jim's handling of it - but I'm not going to vilify the guy as he steps down. He's put in a long shift and there is lots of good stuff in there too - he (IMO) doesn't need to seen as some kind of hate figure.

We're signing too many players who are injured, easily injured or have been injured for ages.

As for McMahon. Good riddance. He went f**king mad at the end.

On 04/08/2023 at 13:40, Desp said:

We're going to need to take a punt on someone unproven, looking to make the next step up, just like Flow did.  What's the story with the guy who does the tannoy?  I like the cut of his jib.  Promote him to the top job, IMO. 

If Speedie ends up as Chairman, what a shout this was btw.

The overall effect of this operational and managerial professionalism has left the Club in a very stable financial position. The combination of income from future player sales and the additional growth and investment promised in the Well Society’s business plan, means the Club has never been in a better place.

This feel like a little bit of a dig to anyone else, or am I reading too much between the lines?

Edited by StAndrew7

Douglas Dickie can go take a flying f**k to himself if he thinks he's getting the Chairman gig.

Meerkat looking f**k

Just now, StAndrew7 said:

This feel like a little bit of a dig to anyone else, or am I reading too much between the lines?

I thought there was a couple of subtle digs

Another typo on socials 🤦‍♂️

Who gets "f**k you" wrong?

In all seriousness, he obviously did some good stuff in previous years, last couple haven't been up to much at all though and the investment debacle was just bizarre. Cheerio. 

Edited by MurrayWell

6 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

The Club has, in real terms, broken even during fan ownership, 

I took this as a bit of a dig but maybe I'm putting 2 and 2 together and making 5

32 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

There definitely reads like some bitterness there, toned down just enough to deniable.

I'd be curious to know if the Society had anyone at the board meeting last night beyond the other pair also on their way out. Also slightly interesting or not that there was no mention of an interim chairman or replacement in the short or long-term?

18 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I don't know if I'm getting old, cold, unsentimental or what, but I wasn't that bothered about David Turnbull going to Celtic and I'm not that bothered by where Lennon Miller goes next. My main concern is us capitalising on our talent and getting the biggest transfer fee that we can. Obviously it would be nice if he went to a club we could want to win etc, but it's honestly not something I lose sleep over. That said, in getting the biggest transfer fee possible, that probably rules out Rangers anyway.

It's not even about them going to either of the old firm for me, It's the arrogance of the fans, when they are linked/sign.

As though being at Rangers or Celtic is the pinnacle of any young SPFL talent.

If you remove the investment/takeover nonsense from Jim's history with the club, he has one hell of a record for things that happened under his watch, but I can't (im a petty bastrud). 

It is well over time to have someone new at the helm, with fresh ideas and truly believes in fan ownership.

Bye Jim, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

22 minutes ago, Richie said:

Quite a debrief and list of achievements in that farewell note.

Is that not usually reserved for others to bestow?

That was my take...before I opened the link, I was about to flippantly comment "ffs, did he write that himself" - only to then find, aye, he actually did...!!

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Also slightly interesting or not that there was no mention of an interim chairman or replacement in the short or long-term?

Dickie was the Co-chair of the club and WS. So in theory …….

I found his bit about Kettlewell a bit of a strange take as well.

Firstly, a ridiculously back handed compliment to the manager "everyone else thought you were shite, but I still liked you".

Secondly, as he appears to be, as a result, taking credit for Bair's sale and Miller's new contract.

What an ego 😆

40 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Firstly, a ridiculously back handed compliment to the manager "everyone else thought you were shite, but I still liked you".

Secondly, as he appears to be, as a result, taking credit for Bair's sale and Miller's new contract.

What an ego 😆

No mention of Max Johnstone however …..

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

What an ego 😆

Thing is there is probably a fair amount he could take credit for from over the years. Why didn't he just focus on that in his farewell? Did feel like there were a few unnecessary thinly veiled swipes in there, but maybe we're all reading into it too much. 

I've long held the opinion that he comes across as far too full of his own importance, spoke about this on here well before the investment chat started.

Wish he had highlighted his record of  overseeing more secret contract extensions than any other chair.