Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

image.png.b95c3a89fedf2c4893012f1e97e65dc7.png

What the f**k are we doing man. 

One or two knocks at this stage is understandable. This is ridiculous.

TBF Blaney was injured on Saturday and Miller likely came off due to getting kicked about a bit. Didn't agree with subbing him at the time but that would explain it. Callachan seems to be yet another wasted wage.

File Callachan alongside Obika, Soare and Nicholson as crocks we should have known better about. 

Some amount of money wasted on oft injured players who we've signed to play in key positions.

18 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

6-0 against Everton. Lol.

Tbf, from the Goal scorers it looks a fairly strong everton side. Beto cost them about 20m, The boy o'brien has also just signed from Lyon for 20m. Neal has been around the prem for a good few years as well. Also seen Seamus Coleman, Jesper Lindstorm, Iliman Ndiaye and Mykolenko mentioned.

That injury list is honking btw.

HOWEVER we knew fine well Nicholson and Callachan had poor records in terms on injuries, so should we be surprised.

11 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Blaney will be the 11th and Miller potentially the 12th player to miss a game injured by the second week of August.

Of the seven injuries, five of them are pretty much indefinite.

If it is indeed just "bad luck" at the root of this, we're not having getting a lot of it.

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

image.png.b95c3a89fedf2c4893012f1e97e65dc7.png

What the f**k are we doing man. 

One or two knocks at this stage is understandable. This is ridiculous.

I mean, it depends what the injuries actually are.

If they're impact injuries during training there's not a lot you can do about them other than tell Liam Gordon to calm it. If there's a trend in muscle injuries (Stuparević's hamstring and Koutroumbis' calf for example) that's where you'd be inclined to ask questions about what we're up to.

From that update though Blaney was injured in the County game, he was caught late which we all saw. Paton's injury was incurred during a game. Slattery was already long term injured.

I also wonder how many of the other absences (Balmer etc) that people have been raising their eyebrows over has been a case of load management or whatever.

Edited by capt_oats

34 minutes ago, DerekWatson said:

Candidates were given a deadline of noon on Sunday to submit their videos for it going live on Monday. 

That said, it was quite a tight turnaround and people may have personal reasons or so for not getting it in on time. I believe that at least one of those missing has now submitted a video and the others have been asked again they wish to contribute. I think, don't quote me on this, the updated "hustings reel" should be online in the next day or two. Understandably given I'm up for re-election, I've not had anything to do with that side of things. 

appreciate the reply. thank you

8 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

How do we line up then? Dreading to think what our bench will look like.

Oxborough

SOD, McGinn, Gordon, Casey, Wilson

Halliday, Wells, Davor

Robinson, Moses

Those were the changes I imagined. Perhaps maybe Sparrow instead of Wells to be a bit more conservative against Rangers away.

That leaves Hegyi, Seddon, Balmer, Sparrow, Stama and Kaleta as subs. We'll need to fill the bench with the likes of Ferrie and Luca Ross.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

12 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

How do we line up then? Dreading to think what our bench will look like.

Oxborough

SOD, McGinn, Gordon, Casey, Wilson

Halliday, Wells, Davor

Robinson, Moses

That's pretty depressing. Saturday will be a contest of who can be less shit.

So this is how the squad currently looks:

GK: Hegyi, Oxborough
DF: O'Donnell, Seddon, Gordon, Balmer, Casey, McGinn, Kaleta, Wilson
MF: Zdravkovski, Sparrow, Halliday, (Miller)
FW: Robinson, Stamatelopolous, Ebiye, Ferrie, Wells

Injured:
Blaney, Callachan, Stuparević

Long term injured:
Koutroumbis, Slattery, Paton, Nicholson

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

When you look at our squad like that.....oft. We are in bother unless we get attacking bodies in and quickly.

Maybe bodies not made out of wet toilet paper rolls would be a start.

I can remember quite a few mid-season injury nightmares over the years - have literally never seen us come out of pre-season in this shape since I've been going.

It might not be the only thing going on here and I completely get the notion that picking up guys with some injury history might allow us make signings that wouldn't have been near us otherwise - but over a few years and multiple managers, the gamble inherent in that approach has objectively failed. We need to not do that any more.

The slight panic here is that getting off to a poor start is incredibly hard to overturn in this league and we (understandably) look likely to do just that.

23 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Tony Watt anyone?

I would take anyone that won’t break down after 2 minutes.

8 potential injuries from a squad of 26 is not good at all. A third of the squad unavailable. 

And then someone (presuming our Manager) thought it would be a good idea to play Premiership opposition full of multiple players worth £20m+. How did that turn out. 6-0 to Everton. No-one saw that coming. Useful for minutes for players but probably does not do a lot for the confidence.

Please, please, please DO NOT sign any more players with a history of injuries. Just don’t. I know we have a small budget but I would rather have someone who is less able but available. Who have we signed that has an history of injuries and has stayed injury free this past few seasons ? Genuine Q. [Edit to add] - just read Swello post above - almost the same unsurprisingly 🤷‍♂️.

I was not necessarily against us signing Nicholson and Callaghan. But the former had some major surgery in last few seasons and the latter missed almost all of last season injured. Red flags and all that 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by welldaft

Don't we have like 8 right backs, I know one or two are injured. Oh well lets see how long it takes for him to pick up an injury, shall we run a sweep?.

Edited by Well Well