Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, Desp said:

The Callachan thing is indefensible.  Some serious questions need to be asked to the management and the medical team.

Nicholson was also nearly recovered and had a 'set back' during his rehab which was considerably worse than his original injury.

Of course it might just have been bad luck or some underlying weakness which couldn't have been spotted before but there comes a point when an accumulation of bad luck is simply negligence or incompetence.

Without knowing the exact workings between the manager and the medical experts it's impossible to be 100% certain how the blame should be divided but it's pretty obvious we have a serious problem here.

Yeah it was @Desp. Probably going to be going on medical insurance premiums and excess' at Rosshall though.

I don't think any of us would have had any issues pushing the boat out to keep Turnbull after a year out (if we could, which we couldn't), but we've got two guys in Nicholson and Callachan pushing 30 with a history of injury, it evident to all of us the older the body the longer it takes to regenerate and heel.

I dunno, it just kinda feels that Callachan is an empty wage already in the similar vein to Obika and McGinley.

If we truly sounded out Magennis then because of what he brings, in a normal season with one long term and a few knocks and muscle pulls, aye OK. But with 8 of our team and you'd argued 50% of our projected starters out the picture then learn your lesson.

If all the perma-crocks on 2+ year contracts who are incapable of being on the park two weeks in a row follow the Obika path to having their monies honoured, we're going to have a f**king huge coaching dept next season.

Just echoing the above but Callachans hamstring seemingly exploding during a light training session feels like a big red flag on whether his body is still up to football at this level. 

So this is where the injuries stand in terms of how long they have left on their contracts and when they picked up their injuries.

Paton (26) - 1 yr - injured during game (ankle)
Blaney (25) - 1 yr - injured during game (medial ligament tear)
Callachan (30) - 1yr (+1 option) - injured during training (hamstring)
Nicholson (29) - 2 yr - injured during training (patella)
Stuparević (23) - 2 yr (+1 option) - injured during training (hamstring)
Slattery (25) - 1 yr (+1) - injured during training (last season) (knee)
Koutroumbis (26) - 2 yr - injured during training (calf)

16 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

So Callachan, who was out for 18 months before he signed, has "had a bad one" in a "light training session". 

Great signing that is. 

In the last 20 seconds too, which appears to be when everyone ends up with their "bad ones". Slattery, Wilkinson, Souare as well.

2 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

In the last 20 seconds too, which appears to be when everyone ends up with their "bad ones". Slattery, Wilkinson, Souare as well.

Forgot about Pape .... are we a fitba team or a hospice?

15 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Forgot about Pape .... are we a fitba team or a hospice?

A sponsorship opportunity perhaps. Just rename the ground The HC One Nursing Home. Will be quite apt.

We do seem unfortunate but as many have alluded too we have not learned our lesson from Obika even though it was acknowledged at the time. So we sign a player who has missed a whole season thru injury and another who has had multiple operations. There really should be no surprise at these ones and an actual clear message to the recruitment team and management to avoid signing any players with a recent (serious) injury history. If they do it again they only have themselves to blame.

I would take Lowry if he was available. Has promise yet unfulfilled. I saw shouts for Alan Campbell. I would love that to happen but he is more likely to turn up at one of the City clubs if he is even considering a move north which apparently he is not. 

I think it is disappointing but inevitable that we need a couple of signings for midfield as soon as possible. Money wasted that probably did not need to be unfortunately. Could minimise financial impact by signing a couple of loans (from down south) till Xmas if that was an option. 

Edited by welldaft

29 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

Good afternoon, would just like to make everyone aware that it is 20 weeks since it was confirmed Blair Spittal would join Hearts. Nearly half a year. 

We still don't have a replacement 🫠

You could argue we have three in Nicholson, Callachan & Stuparevic.

Granted, they all might end up retiring through injury by October but that's neither here nor there.

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I keep seeing the Serbian boy being touted as that role. Is this a thing or have we just decided he can play there?

I've seen 45 minutes of him against Thistle and he looked like a lost boy. I'm no sure he can fill any role. 

2 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Heads up for anybody with Sky TV.

Tonight at midnight Sky Sports Football is showing the full 6-6 draw with Yogi's Hibs.

About time they pulled that one out the archives...

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I keep seeing the Serbian boy being touted as that role. Is this a thing or have we just decided he can play there?

Someone mentioned he'd played there before, personally I think it's just a hope he can do better deeper in a bit more space because he certainly looks miles off being a striker playing on the last man or trying to hold it up.

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I've seen 45 minutes of him against Thistle and he looked like a lost boy. I'm no sure he can fill any role. 

aye, that's what I was thinking, early days blah blah blah