Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Big issue is, as other have also said, if he didn't play Apostolos people would also let their heads go off.

Get what you mean, but I'm not convinced having him starting on the bench again, given we've been vocal in the media about him getting up to speed, would have drawn much of a negative reaction. 

I reckon most people would have expected him to be on the bench today, in fairness.

Just now, Gaag97 said:

I mean if there was any ambiguity over the injury situation - serious questions have to be getting raised now. The decision to start our “flagship” signing of the season - when not match fit, when we’re not expected to get a result - is completely baffling to me. 

Exactly this. Complete madness.

I don't understand the other thought process that folk would have been upset had he not started.

We've not disgraced ourselves relative to the situation..Seddon looks good going forward and did well for the goal but him and Casey are miles apart, which is unsurprisingly proving fatal.

Anyway, hard to be too focused on the performance when it's overshadowed by the injury - and unlike Gordon that was a non-impact muscle problem so no alibi. You can never be sure whether the manager or the medical team takes more of the blame for that but between them we need to change things in this area or we're f**ked.

Just now, Busta Nut said:

Exactly this. Complete madness.

I don't understand the other thought process that folk would have been upset had he not started.

Even if folk had been upset - so what?

4 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Get what you mean, but I'm not convinced having him starting on the bench again, given we've been vocal in the media about him getting up to speed, would have drawn much of a negative reaction. 

I reckon most people would have expected him to be on the bench today, in fairness.

Yeah, I totally agree. I thought it was strange he was even starting but my thoughts were " oh he's fit enough and we are atleast going to have some attacking presence".

And my, how far was I off with that prediction.

Most muscle injuries are preventable, especially with the tecnhology and treatments we have today. We are doing a very bad job at preventing those. Either the person responsible for monitoring this and preparing the players physically is doing a bad job, or the management team are ignoring their advice.

Impact injuries happen, some players are more robust than others in that regard, but a lot of that is luck.

I think most fans would have accepted Apostolos not starting. I mean he has been here for a fraction of the time some of our other new signings have been.

If he is out for any period of time then that was a fkin stupid decision to start him. Bring him on at the very end for a few minutes and look to the cup game v Killie for a half even. 

Fingers crossed not bad but this will be self inflicted by Kettlewell. 

None of us know how fit Stama is, none of us know what his injury is.  Perhaps the plan was to give him the first half then take him off, but I don’t know that.

Edited by ropy

Agree re Stama, should have started Robinson today and given AS at least 30 mins in the second half. Then played him from the start against Killie. Striker is the one position we had options, maybe not great ones but options. 

However I can’t be the only one that is not a fan of Gordon. I think he and Casey look poor together. Why is Balmer not starting. 

Hopefully Miller makes it through the game. Kettlewell saying pre match he hasn’t trained all week but assured him he was fit to play. 

Not sure I would trust kettlewell not to just play him anyway. 

Yep. It's so easy to jump in and say he shouldn't have started now that he came off injured. Given we don't know anything really it's just as equally plausable that a generrally fit 25 year old who passed all the medical tests he was given didn't cause any worries to the manager or the club to play for 45 mins/60 mins.

Feels very much like a reason to batter Kettlewell if you are looking for one.

3 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Yep. It's so easy to jump in and say he shouldn't have started now that he came off injured. Given we don't know anything really it's just as equally plausable that a generrally fit 25 year old who passed all the medical tests he was given didn't cause any worries to the manager or the club to play for 45 mins/60 mins.

Feels very much like a reason to batter Kettlewell if you are looking for one.

It was f**king stupidity.

When I used to do a predict the score competition I always went for a 3-0 defeat in these games so anything better than that is a moral victory.  (4-1 is better than that).