Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Somebody somewhere, or a collection of people have dropped the ball massively over the current state of our injuries, it’s not all down to bad luck, it’s certainly never been this bad before and it doesn’t appear to be happening to this degree with any other club in the division. 

Either way, it was bad before the season started and has got progressively worse with each passing week since to extent that it almost certainly will destroy the start of our season and possibly beyond. 

I couldn’t give a monkeys about the result today, the fact that our star striker is now indefinitely crocked on the back of everything else, and risked/pushed in a game we historically have zero chance of getting anything from, is completely unacceptable and heads should roll! 

Can we even trust the club to rehab him successfully if the people in charge of it are the ones that have made the decisions on such matters so far?

Absolute amateur hour! 

1 hour ago, JamesP_81 said:

I think that was my point.  Or at least highlighting the bizarre nature of the Everton game unless there was some quid pro quo going on.  

Tbf I don't think there was anything bizarre about the Everton game (although clearly no one at the club has commented on it).

It's well documented that we have a pile of players who need minutes because they've not been able to get them either in pre-season or in the Betfred groups so the bounce game at Goodison was an opportunity to get minutes in the legs for those who needed them against good quality opposition.

I've found it weird that anyone is criticising the decision to take the game. I mean, given we're not running a Reserve team now I imagine we're playing similar sort of bounce games on the regular, albeit presumably not against sides from the Barclays.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Players have been eased back to full match fitness with little bits of games for as long as I can remember, I don't see what's hard to understand about that either.

What I find incredibly hard to believe, given all the data available to clubs these days, is that SK didn't have a conversation - several in fact - with the experts during the week. We're obviously speculating from the outside but which scenario (others no doubt also available!) do you think is more likely?

1) SK looks at him jogging around training and says f**k it, I'll throw him in and see what happens.

2) SK goes to the data health guys and asks do you think I can safely give him a bit longer than last week to his benefit as part of his build-up regime?

3) SK is told by the medical guys not to use him and ignores this advice.

Now it's obviously best guess stuff next but given SK's public comments about 'minutes', the obvious need to protect an expensive asset and all we know about the data obsession in modern football, to me option 2 seems by far the most probable.

Aye. Related to the point above about the Everton game; I take it Stamatelopolous took part in the bounce game through the week and unless he was actually showing up signs of an issue after that then it's probably fair enough to think that he's picked the player in good faith.

I mean, obviously in context of everything given that he's had no pre-season, is only just in the door and we seem to have been actively managing players back it seems genuinely mental to have just thought "f**k it. On you go Apostolos...have at it".

Edited by capt_oats

There has definitely been talk of another bounce game, possibly in the week we didn’t have a midweek league cup game. Not sure if it was bizarre or normal or just not against English opposition.

Kettlewell picks the team so the buck stops with him. He’s likely to have spoken to the fitness team but then surely he must look at a match we have less than 10 percent of winning versus progress in the the cup next weekend and then decide if it’s worth risking our most expensive signing .

I mean this is in the context of a full blown injury crisis coupled with Ap Stam having last played a full match 5 months ago and saying in the presser last week he was humped after 5 minutes.

I would have given Kettlwell some leeway if he had brought him on with 20 minutes to go and he picked up a knock but starting the boy today is for me kamikaze stuff.

29 minutes ago, ropy said:

Do you think we will see the other keeper in the cup match to keep him interested? 

Probably not knowing Kettlewell. He didn’t do it last year with big Ox. Which the more I watch him the more annoying it gets. 

The big man’s distribution seems decent, handling and shot stopping also been very good. Why the f**k was he not given a run when Kelly was on his clusterf**k run last season. 

Edited by wellboy1991

23 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Somebody somewhere, or a collection of people have dropped the ball massively over the current state of our injuries, it’s not all down to bad luck, it’s certainly never been this bad before and it doesn’t appear to be happening to this degree with any other club in the division. 

Either way, it was bad before the season started and has got progressively worse with each passing week since to extent that it almost certainly will destroy the start of our season and possibly beyond. 

I couldn’t give a monkeys about the result today, the fact that our star striker is now indefinitely crocked on the back of everything else, and risked/pushed in a game we historically have zero chance of getting anything from, is completely unacceptable and heads should roll! 

Can we even trust the club to rehab him successfully if the people in charge of it are the ones that have made the decisions on such matters so far?

Absolute amateur hour! 

More excellent nuance. 

27 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

See TBF, he did go down 5 mins or so prior to being subbed off, he could have easily put his hand and said he was f**ked, he chose to stay on.

If he went down 5 minutes prior to going off and has admitted that he’s short of fitness then the manager should’ve subbed him off then. Simple as that. 

f**king ridiculous circumstance we find ourselves in. 

Butland stopped us getting a point today but it was a poor game overall. Oxborough looks very decent especially at set pieces. Davor for me isn’t good enough. I know a lot of boys like him but i was at his debut against St Mirren last season and he hasn’t progressed at all since then he still gets ran over.

Robinson held the ball up well and was really unlucky with the Butland save.

I know we all know this already but the majority of Rangers fans are scum. Trying tae spit on us etc they are absolute tramps 🤦‍♂️

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

f**king ridiculous decision to play that Ozzie guy. Kettlewell is a fuucking moron

Worth bearing in mind that Kettlewell wouldn't have just been guessing about the fitness of any players. He'll be playing the guys who he's been told are fit enough to play by the medical experts. 

1 minute ago, David1979 said:

Worth bearing in mind that Kettlewell wouldn't have just been guessing about the fitness of any players. He'll be playing the guys who he's been told are fit enough to play by the medical experts. 

No.

Stamatelopoulous admitted he wasn’t fit last Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

If he went down 5 minutes prior to going off and has admitted that he’s short of fitness then the manager should’ve subbed him off then. Simple as that. 

f**king ridiculous circumstance we find ourselves in. 

I'm not saying Kettlewell shouldn't take blame FWIW, at the end of the day if Stam had pulled up injured he should've known not to continue playing on.

There was absolutely need to start him today. In fact, playing away to Rangers on a pitch that size, he'd have been on a hiding to nothing on his first start anyway. Holding the ball up and running the channels seemed far more suited to Robinson.

Also, I do not think it's wise to try and build a player up by having him playing the first half of a league game. We should be using the subs bench to build these guys up.

We signed this fella for six figures, on a three year deal with an option of a fourth. We didn't sign him to address a short term injury crisis, we clearly signed him to be good over time. We weren't expected to take anything from this game anyway, surely your risk assessment weighs up the impact this marquee player could have over time, rather than risking him when he's not up to speed.

Obviously we will never be privy to the conversations between the medics and the management, but surely in light of what has happened to Nicholson and Callachan just of late, everyone could have agreed to exercise a bit of caution given the risk and reward.

Obviously not all of our injury problems can be attributed to bad decisions, but between us signing crocks and players breaking down whilst getting match fit, we are getting into the "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" category.

If the reason that we haven't seen Balmer since the Edinburgh City game is injury related, I can only assume one of his legs are hingin aff, given how gung ho we've been with the rest.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

1 hour ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

If you can’t see how this injury is on Kettlewell and his backroom team then you are a complete idiot.

The knee jerk in this thread after going away to a team with 18x the budget and recording a 2-1 loss with at least three, possibly four guaranteed starters out is the only idiotic thing I've seen today.

Stama got 25' last weekend, played in a bounce match in midweek where he probably got a commensurate amount of time in the legs or more and started today. Throw in a few training sessions. Wouldn't a natural progression be 25' to a bit more vs Everton to a half of football?

We have no idea on what's going on between the manager or physio's, we have no idea if it was felt there was merit to him being on the pitch at the start opposed to the second half for some advantage (none of us foresaw it so I doubt Sevco did too), we have no idea if he was due to be pulled at halftime or later.

Your issue seems to stem from the fact he was introduced from the start where the manager decided on when his game ends opposed to being introduced later where the referee's final whistle defines it.

The plan was to play one up at the start and finish with two up (unless we were winning) so it made sense to have two strong strikers on the bench to see out the game.

We have a 1/3 of our squad injured.

You would think with that in mind you would not take any risks.

Apostolos came in later than any other player. Some of whom have not been getting much game time. 

There was NO need to start him in this game. None. Away to Rangers has 95% resulted in defeat. 

If he come on at 2-1 down for the last 20 minutes and then got injured then I would say we have nae luck at all.

But to start him was stupid and negligent and nothing anyone says on here will change my view or the vast majority of fans.

It was a massive mistake and puts us in an even bigger hole than we were before😡

This decision has potential to be closer to a true 50:50 split than the investment 80:20

If he was introduced at 70' and got injured at 80' many would just pivot to "playing three games in a week is mental".

Edited by Vietnam91

I wouldn’t start shouting Kettlewell out just yet but i’m not far away. 
Scottish football success stories pretty much always involve wingers. 
This wing back pish is really bursting my balls now. O’Donnell is a f**kin solid right back he isn’t a wing back. 

I really want Kettlewell to succeed but he’s making it hard with this wing back shite 😒