Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

There's also a chance that some of the bodies we've brought in already simply aren't up to it, isn't there?

Aye, not thinking of anybody specifically but I was wondering this too, that maybe we've signed a few Mich'el Parker types to pad out the squad during the LC Group Stages but aren't really being factored in as options going forward.

21 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

There's also a chance that some of the bodies we've brought in already simply aren't up to it, isn't there?

When you're bringing in a dozen plus players it's inevitable some will be mistakes and cut asap but beginning the process within six-eight weeks is mental.

Bair, Gent, Davor all needed months to get going last season, unless someone has personal reasons why a move here needs to immediately be reversed, even SK will be keeping the mutualling axe in the cupboard for now. Surely.

29 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aye.

I mean, we've signed what? 14 players (13 if we're not including Nicholson as he was here last season)? The odds of *all* of them either hitting the ground running or, as you say, actually being up to it are slim.

That's not even a knock on recruitment it's simply the case that if anyone is looking at the sort of overhaul we've had/required this summer and expecting a high success rate then there's a definite expectations:reality issue.

I suppose a useful one to one is Robinson's first summer in 17/18 - 14 players in and for all it got Carson, Kipré, Andy Rose, Hartley et al in the door you also had your Fisher, Newell, Plummer and Petravičius and everything in between.

Screenshot2024-08-22at10_18_49.thumb.png.7d022540aee272927521b6cc9c770bd7.png

Edited by capt_oats

45 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

As long as it's not the one we paid money for and gave a 4 year deal to....

1 minute ago, Swello said:

As long as it's not the one we paid money for and gave a 4 year deal to....

Mate, we're two signings away from asking him if he wants to go to East Fife on loan to get game time.

58 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I was thinking more along, aren't up to it "physically".  Either way though aye.

44 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I suppose a useful one to one is Robinson's first summer in 17/18 - 14 players in and for all it got Carson, Kipré, Andy Rose, Hartley et al in the door you also had your Fisher, Newell, Plummer and Petravičius and everything in between.

Speaking of that season. Thank you to @thisGRAEME for putting this on my Twitter TL.

One of the greatest games at Fir Park this millennium - complete 90 minute performance from a team that I f**king loved.

Moult's 2nd goal is one of my favourite modern goals of ours - I love players scoring late goals when they are totally burst and he looks like he's going to pass out in the celebration.

It's a shame that another of our great 90 minute performances - the QF against Utd with Jeffers et al - doesn't seem to exist.

I hate to always pile on the comms guys because it's clear they are not being given the same resources as before, but eh, how do you get a job doing media stuff with unpossible English?

image.thumb.png.ec4ba3feb334adca383be713a189e3a7.png

52 minutes ago, Swello said:

One of the greatest games at Fir Park this millennium - complete 90 minute performance from a team that I f**king loved.

Moult's 2nd goal is one of my favourite modern goals of ours - I love players scoring late goals when they are totally burst and he looks like he's going to pass out in the celebration.

That was an astonishing season....to knock off Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen twice in the cups (and a derby win v Accies, and wins in top-flight Dingwall/Dundee) and be left without a trophy was some going mind.

6 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I hate to always pile on the comms guys because it's clear they are not being given the same resources as before, but eh, how do you get a job doing media stuff with unpossible English?

I prefer to believe it's a cry for help.

6 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I saw that earlier and genuinely wondered if it was some sort of pun or meme that had flown entirely over my head.

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think my brain did that thing where you read it wrong cos you know what it's meant to be. 

a good example of "Perception is an active process" as I taught my psychology students.