Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Have to say the attempt by the United captain to destroy the penalty spot ahead of the spot kick was a disgrace and not befitting of a team captain. I’d like to think someone at the club will have a word with him.

55 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I like your positivity. 

We lost one 2-1 to Rangers. I remember we were the better team in the second half that day and Keith scored a late equaliser only for them to go back ahead almost straight away. No recollection of the year though.

2010/11 season we lost 2-1 to Rangers in the semi final. I think that was early in McCall's tenure, from memory.

Last semi final loss before that was the 05/06 season against Celtic. I think that was the Corrigan one where Celtic got an indirect free kick for a back pass.

12 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

Last semi final loss before that was the 05/06 season against Celtic. I think that was the Corrigan one where Celtic got an indirect free kick for a back pass.

Christ. Here's me in a great mood this morning and you go and bring that one up. That was a sickener.

21 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Us all??

Kelly was shite for years.

I've seen that a few teams haven't updated their playbook and are still trying the big inswinger corner that had Kelly in tears last season - Ox has been happily plucking them out of the air.

Last night is a good example of what we seem to be doing better post-Kelly - we aren't giving away free goals in tight games. If someone does what Moult did, then you just get on with it - then look what Kelly did against Morton in the cup earlier in the year and you see the difference. 

I'm actually not convinced that Ox is a brilliant keeper or anything like that - he just feels like a good solid pro and that is a big upgrade for us.

Not sure if it’s just me rewriting history, but I remember us being the better team that night against Celtic. Losing it like that was a sickener, up there with the worst I’ve felt at after a game. 

Just now, dezz said:

Not sure if it’s just me rewriting history, but I remember us being the better team that night against Celtic. Losing it like that was a sickener, up there with the worst I’ve felt at after a game

Yes it was. It was like we invented a fresh new way to lose a game.

21 minutes ago, Glasgowwell said:

Have to say the attempt by the United captain to destroy the penalty spot ahead of the spot kick was a disgrace and not befitting of a team captain. I’d like to think someone at the club will have a word with him.

See, to be honest, this isn’t the kind of thing I get annoyed about. Maybe if it was the 25th minute, but at that stage in the game, and it’s through a desperation to win, it doesn’t bother me (I’d probably quite like it if the boot was on the other foot 🤫).

22 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

See, to be honest, this isn’t the kind of thing I get annoyed about. Maybe if it was the 25th minute, but at that stage in the game, and it’s through a desperation to win, it doesn’t bother me (I’d probably quite like it if the boot was on the other foot 🤫).

At the time I actually found it quite funny - I love any type of shithousing and scuffing up the penalty spot was kind of pathetic but good - certainly better than just shouting "miss ya bastart!" during the run up.

Randomly I was thinking about Graeme Smith taking both his gloves off to tie his laces after Nancy got their penalty over there and then putting them back on *really* slowly - he took about 5 mins and it worked.

Absolutely buzzing after last night, feels like everything just clicked into place. Too many players deserve so much credit it’s hard to single any out.

A huge thank you to all the volunteers this week who have been pounding the pavements trying to get more bodies to Fir Park, create a bit of a hype and making the Well Society that bit more visible in the community.

Over 8,300 in attendance makes that our biggest crowd outwith the Old Firm coming to town since our Champions League Qualifier in 2012.

I really feel there’s a huge opportunity here to create something special and to grow the club. If you’ve not done so already, please think about joining the Society and being part of that journey! 

https://thewellsociety.uk/join/

2 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Everyone okay with us finally binning the whole "awww naw big crowd and hype" patter?

I think we should hype up every game from now on. 

See, I'll freely admit I'm bad for that sort of rhetoric but besides the actual winning the game then after the absolute shift that the Society and volunteers put in not f**king it up was a massive 'win'.

2 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Just shy of 6000 well fans last night, some effort that is btw.

Kind of related to the point above it's hard not to look at last night and feel that it was a massive vindication of the vision the WS were arguing for through the summer when McMahon was trying to give the club away.

It's part of a broader conversation but when you see the WS actively out promoting the club and selling a story around everything then it really highlights the extent to which everything seemed to slip in the period post-Burrows with McMahon/Dickie/Weir running the show.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I'm actually not convinced that Ox is a brilliant keeper or anything like that - he just feels like a good solid pro and that is a big upgrade for us.

exactly