Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

There's really no reason we shouldn't be getting to the QF's most years in the LC. Four games against lower league opposition and one knockout game gets you there. It's a bit sobering how chronic we were vs Partick and how close we came to getting put out on our arse and where we are.

By definition at least a third of the top-flight won't make the quarters but aye... QF is very much par for me in the LC given it's structured how it is.

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

Can still remember the video of that.

"GO ON FITZY....... YAAAAAAAAAAASS!!!!"

Bedlam.

Don't forget the "GIE 'EM IT!!!" as the ball is just about to leave McDonald's boot for the shroo ball.

Approaching 20 years ago now.  f**k me! 

Am I right in saying that was Stephen Craigan's first Motherwell goal that night?  Must be some sort of record considering the date of his first Motherwell appearance to his first Motherwell goal.  

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

Don't forget the "GIE 'EM IT!!!" as the ball is just about to leave McDonald's boot for the shroo ball.

Am I right in saying that was Stephen Craigan's first Motherwell goal that night?  Must be some sort of record considering the date of his first Motherwell appearance to his first Motherwell goal.  

Nah, he scored three the season before according to Wiki.

Loved a goal in a semi-final though. His header against St Johnstone was all-time for me and his first for four seasons and last goal for us.

When we went 3-0 up in that game I sat down with my head in my hands in utter disbelief. Like, Motherwell just didn't do that in semi-finals.

Edited by StAndrew7

2 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

When we went 3-0 up in that game I sat down with my head in my hands in utter disbelief. Like, Motherwell just didn't do that in semi-finals.

Was the only time I've actually felt a bit sorry for the opposition supporters in a game like that - a f**king nightmare for Saints that day and an utter stroll for us.

28 minutes ago, Desp said:

f**k me right enough, apart from the bounce and sheer euphoria as Fitz's shot went in. other memories the boy the blow up boaby in the top tier 😂

Myself and my brother walking away from the game buzzing with a jambo running up to us wanting a few words, expected the worst got a  "Well done lads, all the best in the final"

Whit a night...

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Was the only time I've actually felt a bit sorry for the opposition supporters in a game like that - a f**king nightmare for Saints that day and an utter stroll for us.

That's never happened to me. 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I spent the whole second half saying “if they get a goal back it could turn to shit, don’t celebrate too early” 😂 

45 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

f**k me right enough, apart from the bounce and sheer euphoria as Fitz's shot went in. other memories the boy the blow up boaby in the top tier 😂

Step forward @JayMFCon that one.

The phone call to Easter Road to try and retrieve said item is still one of my favourite moments from around that period. 

12 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I realise this won't change your mind one iota, but having literally been in and around dozens of these draws; they don't. :lol: 

League Cup ties used to be predominantly mid-week, from memory? They also drew relatively crap crowds because of it (The 2008/09 cup semi finals, Rangers v Falkirk, Celtic v Dundee United didn't even reach 50k combined).

The league cup is and always has been, fundamentally, a money making exercise, so 100k at Hampden over a weekend is miles beyond what you'd get midweek, before you even begin to start figuring out the logistics of Aberdeen/United/Anyone outside of the immediate central belt on a Tuesday and Wednesday night. A pain in the arse and night and day to what it is now. 

Of all the things that Scottish football does right/wrong, the current format of the LC certainly gives the competition more weight and pomp than it did previously, imo. There's a real desire to make a bit of a (positive!) fuss, on the whole.

It’s not just the avoidance of each other which is massively suspicious, there was no way either of the Old Firm were ever getting Aberdeen away for example in the form they’re in! 

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

I couldn't make it back for St J but did make the 3-0 v Aberdeen at Hampden - what I found utterly bizarre was the euphoria of winning was basically gone by the final whistle, there was a quick thunderclap then off to the pub. 

Fitzpatrick on the other end...a genuine moment of a lifetime along with Kirk in the 91 semi.