Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I was in P&B Jail for a week and a lot has happened.

Think everyone will know my opinion on the Dickie debacle.

We've had a brilliant start to the season. I'm all for it. There is something I am unsure of in the team. I can't even really figure it out but I am there to shout and cheer so I will.

I am looking to Stamatelopoulos getting a good run.

We’re doing great so it’s seems churlish to split hairs but Robinson is a major weak link for me.

While we’re doing well the argument doesn’t seem as important but his missing the target completely again, like he did when clean through v Ross County, yesterday, from not far out at seems to sum up his prowess.

When folk were on here lauding over SOD for his first 8/10 this year vs Hearts (and I appreciate many were tongue in cheek) then I'm prepared to give a 22 year old striker a bit of leeway for his worst game this since joining.

Not saying he's going to score every week from January but if he gets one goal he's equalled what Theo achieved by Boxing Day therefore he's earned a degree of patience.

It would also be worth noting that normally, when you're not trying to fatten up a Christmas Turkey, your primary striker is also your penalty taker. Throw in the extra we get some oomph and come alive in the last 15' of a game, when he's normally been replaced.

I think Robinson does a job in the same way that Curtis Main did a job when the young boys were running riot.  If nothing else he softens up the defence for the finishers to come on and ehm finish the game.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

We've had a brilliant start to the season. I'm all for it. There is something I am unsure of in the team. I can't even really figure it out but I am there to shout and cheer so I will.

I think this is the new 'wait and see' view the vast majority of the support will hold.

Our start has been excellent, you can't argue against it. But setting up to start the way we do leads very much to Alexander comparisons, in the sense of praised when it works but little credit in the bank when it stops.

The United game became a legendary FP night but we were 30 seconds from being booed off at halftime. Had Hibs scored one of four or five great opportunities before we'd managed a shot, how different would yesterday have been etc.

We're averaging a set piece goal per game in the league...that simply cannot continue. 

And the midfield there's no point in repeating the concerns.

So while we've been brilliant in terms of results, it's incredibly fragile.

On the plus side, solid gets you a long, long way in the league and the combination of our results and others means the top six is well and truly possible. Hearts will get better and slow down those chasing us while going by recent years, just over 30 points from the next 26 will have us very competitive for the split - a rate which isn't ridiculous even with an expected slow down.

And for the paranoid among us, utter relegation form of 23 points from the next 31 may still be enough to keep us up (though I wouldn't like to test this!).

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I think this is the new 'wait and see' view the vast majority of the support will hold.

Our start has been excellent, you can't argue against it. But setting up to start the way we do leads very much to Alexander comparisons, in the sense of praised when it works but little credit in the bank when it stops.

The United game became a legendary FP night but we were 30 seconds from being booed off at halftime. Had Hibs scored one of four or five great opportunities before we'd managed a shot, how different would yesterday have been etc.

We're averaging a set piece goal per game in the league...that simply cannot continue. 

And the midfield there's no point in repeating the concerns.

So while we've been brilliant in terms of results, it's incredibly fragile.

On the plus side, solid gets you a long, long way in the league and the combination of our results and others means the top six is well and truly possible. Hearts will get better and slow down those chasing us while going by recent years, just over 30 points from the next 26 will have us very competitive for the split - a rate which isn't ridiculous even with an expected slow down.

And for the paranoid among us, utter relegation form of 23 points from the next 31 may still be enough to keep us up (though I wouldn't like to test this!).

Yeah, that's it. Good post.