Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Newell & Sammon are absolutely essential to get rid of tbh. I genuinely forget Newell exists until I see him mentioned on here and Sammon didn’t inspire me with confidence in when he signed and he’s done f**k all to convince me otherwise.

Main just gets a shrug from me tbh. If he’s got a bit of confidence and genuinely is interested in playing for us then he is good to have around. If nothing else he’s good fun to watch when he fancies it.

However. If someone offers us any cash at all then goodbye big man!

Aye, it was kind of why I mentioned, it's a fair number of bodies we've got there and you can probably add Scott, Hastie and Frear to that group in the screenshot. If Robinson's hinting at us bringing more in then it seems reasonable to assume he's got takers lined up. Genuinely curious to find out how many are on their way out the door though.

I noticed that was Edwards and Burns away back to Hearts from their loans at St Mirren and Livi. It'd be fairly shite if they patched us trying to launch Sammon back to Gorgie.

16 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
34 minutes ago, supermarv said:

The Chesterfield video hadn't particularly inspired me but that's more like it!

I enjoyed his skill and ability in the video if I’m honest and second one was more his goals for mk dons

Newell & Sammon are absolutely essential to get rid of tbh. I genuinely forget Newell exists until I see him mentioned on here and Sammon didn’t inspire me with confidence in when he signed and he’s done f**k all to convince me otherwise.

Main just gets a shrug from me tbh. If he’s got a bit of confidence and genuinely is interested in playing for us then he is good to have around. If nothing else he’s good fun to watch when he fancies it.

However. If someone offers us any cash at all then goodbye big man!
main seens to be to you exactly what kamara was to us. fantastic last season and would have been a devastating loss but not fussed this year. thats going by reading comments on here. from the outside ive never understood your hype about main. nothing more than a slightly above average striker.

im very jealous of McCormack though!

:lol: nice to see the club read the forums...

Pretty much the only places Miller's name's even been mentioned is on here and SO.

The bold Graeme McGarry putting this out there in the ET...

"Meanwhile, Motherwell are not believed to be interested in bringing Calvin Miller to the club despite being linked with a loan move for the Celtic youngster."

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/celtic/news/17341306.motherwell-land-gboly-ariyibi-but-calvin-miller-not-on-the-radar/

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

:lol: nice to see the club read the forums...

Pretty much the only places Miller's name's even been mentioned is on here and SO.

The bold Graeme McGarry putting this out there in the ET...

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/celtic/news/17341306.motherwell-land-gboly-ariyibi-but-calvin-miller-not-on-the-radar/

:lol:that’s brilliant man

8 hours ago, ah-dee said:

main seens to be to you exactly what kamara was to us. fantastic last season and would have been a devastating loss but not fussed this year. thats going by reading comments on here. from the outside ive never understood your hype about main. nothing more than a slightly above average striker.

im very jealous of McCormack though!

Aye pretty much. When Main was on form last year he was throwing defenders about and helping the team out. This season he's not managed to get any sort of form and, just when it looked like he had, he missed a penalty at Killie and that was him back to square one. I don't think Main could ever be a 25 goal a season striker tbh. If he screwed the nut and just tried to work for the team I reckon he'd be class working alongside a finisher.

After his fucking stupid red card and Robinson hanging him out to dry I wouldn't be shocked to see him leave though. 

30 minutes ago, nsr said:

I've said this before but Main would been the league's top scorer if we'd managed to sign Chow from Ross County to play up front alongside him.

Straight red card.  Three match ban.  No grounds of appeal.

Off you go.

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2007–2011 Darlington 61 (5)
2011–2014 Middlesbrough 48 (6)
2013  Shrewsbury Town (loan) 5 (0)
2014–2016 Doncaster Rovers 48 (9)
2016  Oldham Athletic (loan) 18 (4)
2016–2018 Portsmouth 17 (2)
2018– Motherwell 35 (7

Suppose his lack of goals shouldn't come as much of a surprise...

Correct - but not every forward player needs to be a prolific goal scorer though. When he is on it, he can cause some enjoyable chaos and opposition defenders don't enjoy a game against him - he is good at bringing other players into the game and in the right setup, I still think he can be effective. 

All that said, I think he's cut a fairly disinterested figure at times this season and his confidence has looked shot - if he's just going through the motions and hoping for a move back down south, there would be no point standing in his way...

Edited by Swello

1 minute ago, AndyRoss said:
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2007–2011 Darlington 61 (5)
2011–2014 Middlesbrough 48 (6)
2013  Shrewsbury Town (loan) 5 (0)
2014–2016 Doncaster Rovers 48 (9)
2016  Oldham Athletic (loan) 18 (4)
2016–2018 Portsmouth 17 (2)
2018– Motherwell 35 (7

Suppose his lack of goals shouldn't come as much of a surprise...

Aye he's not exactly prolific. 

If, as the rumours were saying, someone does offer us money I'd probably take their hand off and look to bring someone else in. If he does choose to stay he really needs to screw the nut because watching him run about in an attempt to get sent off is tedious.

When he actually fancies it he's a great player to watch. Seeing him kicking Arnason and McKenna up and down Hampden like an empty fag packet was absolutely great fun.

I think Curtis Main has been the victim of his early success at Motherwell.  We had just lost Moult, and all of a sudden we get this new guy in, wearing the no.9 shirt and banging in the goals.  All of a sudden, it appears we've found his replacement. 

But as has been shown by Sparra, the stats never really backed this up.  Agree he would be an excellent "second striker".  Him up front alongside someone like Moult would have been brilliant. 

If he's at the point of wanting to go back down south, I'd have no issue with wishing him all the best and us using the cash to go in a different direction.  For his Scottish Cup performances alone last season, he was worth the punt. 

20 minutes ago, Swello said:

Correct - but not every forward player needs to be a prolific goal scorer though. When he is on it, he can cause some enjoyable chaos and opposition defenders don't enjoy a game against him - he is good at bringing other players into the game and in the right setup, I still think he can be effective. 

All that said, I think he's cut a fairly disinterested figure at times this season and his confidence has looked shot - if he's just going through the motions and hoping for a move back down south, there would be no point standing in his way...

Pretty much that, I think the fact that Danny Johnson was sidelined for a few months while we watched our strikers fail to score probably added to most of our frustrations around Main.

8 minutes ago, Desp said:

For his Scottish Cup performances alone last season, he was worth the punt. 

Agree - but I don't think Main is in any way a failure - he's been a decent signing overall IMO. The stark fact is that with the utter lack of any type of attacking quality or creativity in the first half of the season, Moult himself would have had a poor season - regardless of our views on individual strikers, they have had next to f**k all to work with.