Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

18 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

It's funny, like, because from all the reserves footage I think every one of us said 'Aye, but he'll not get that time'.

Turns out he made the time for himself and still does, I can't even think of a time where he's given it away. If teams do start doubling up on him; good. Doubling up on Turnbull gives Campbell more space to run into, Gorrin more time on the ball, Hastie and Ariyibi more space wide. 

While you make an excellent point about Turnbull, I assumed @Swello was talking about Hastie in his post?

The point still stands, to be fair.  Double up on Hastie, let Aribiyi run wild on you. 

I was talking about Hastie, but the post from @thisGRAEMEis spot on. FWIW, I do think Hastie is the real deal and someone who just runs at defenders at pace isn't easy to stop even if people want to do that.

Humphrey is a good example - he was a bit of a one trick pony (and I say that as someone who liked him as a player) and so you'd have thought he was easy to nullify but what happened was that teams ended up nullifying their own fullback's attacking threat by sitting them deep to stop them getting done for pace (and there were plenty of other attackers to worry about anyway). 

The best thing about our current system is that the opposition can't just shut down one player - we have two decent wide men and that makes it much more difficult than when it was just Frear out there on his own (or no winger at all)..

Apropos of nothing I was having a browse at some older u20s games earlier. Looking at the team that beat Aberdeen 9-1 Turnbull, Maguire and Livingstone are there, Hastie scored (x2), Campbell scored, Scott scored. Early days and all that but there seem to be more of that group actually establishing themselves in the first team than previously.

Of the other scorers Mackin's fallen down the leagues via Falkirk and Livi to end up at Stirling Albion (and in fairness has been fairly prolific with them) while Watt and Falconer have been released. 

From the rest of the folk on the park in that game Fry, Armstrong and Agyeman have all been released.

Looking back to the Youth Cup final the line up was:

Long, Watt, McMillan, Ferguson, Hall, Campbell, MacLean (Hastie 90), Turnbull (Leitch 71), Mackin (Falconer 77) Thomas, Cadden. Subs: Morrison, Livingstone.

#goldengeneration #youngmotherwell

Edited by capt_oats

Has anyone seen the Roger Mitchell stuff on Twitter and the subsequent replies from Alan Burrows?

I'm probably getting more wound up about this than is necessary, but Mitchell has basically suggested that certain clubs show 'WATP bias'.

Apart from the fact this is utter shite, doesn't it just demonstrate the fact that those involved in the higher up posts in our game both past and present are utterly clueless?

Well done to Alan for not taking it lying down, but what a dinosaur Mitchell is - his struggle to stay relevant is real!

6 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Has anyone seen the Roger Mitchell stuff on Twitter and the subsequent replies from Alan Burrows?

I'm probably getting more wound up about this than is necessary, but Mitchell has basically suggested that certain clubs show 'WATP bias'.

Apart from the fact this is utter shite, doesn't it just demonstrate the fact that those involved in the higher up posts in our game both past and present are utterly clueless?

Well done to Alan for not taking it lying down, but what a dinosaur Mitchell is - his struggle to stay relevant is real!

Mitchell is a fucking no-mark and even though Burrows comes over well enough, he should have really have left Mitchell wallowing in the cesspit that is OF Twitter where this type of thing belongs and not given him the credibility of a reply.

I’m just not naive Alan. Almost every person in Scotland (not just football) deep, deep down has a preference that one win over the other. Some hide it better. Or again, maybe that’s a generational thing. I don’t think so."

As to this - I (and almost everyone I know) must hide it really fucking well as I think the Fitba/Religion crossover is a deeply tedious pile of shite.

Spoiler

#WATP #1690

From what I’ve seen of him, Hastie has the element of surprise still about him. He’s only played half a dozen games and teams haven’t found a way to effectively stop him. That’ll happen and then it’ll be a test of how good he is at breaking teams down. From what I’ve seen his quick, direct and more importantly not afraid of it doesn’t work. Makes me think he’ll be absolutely fine cause they’re the worst kind of players to stop. We’ve got one in O’Halloran who, if playing well and confident is impossible to actually stop, despite being able to predict exactly what he’ll do. So it I’d say so long as he’s in form and playing well, there’s not a whole lot you can do to stop him? Maybe I’m wrong, but he looks an exciting wee player and one who’ll be good for Scottish football. The more young, homegrown boys in the team the better.

I’m just not naive Alan. Almost every person in Scotland (not just football) deep, deep down has a preference that one win over the other. Some hide it better. Or again, maybe that’s a generational thing. I don’t think so."

As soon as he started this patter, I'd be off.  These folk are the worst folk on the planet.  So wrapped up in their own shite, they simply cannot fathom it's not all about them.

The absolute fucking worst.  Let's face it, he was a failure as SPL boss, been irrelevant ever since and now thinks it's a plan to go down the "shock jock" route on Twitter to try and become relevant again. 

I've clocked some of his ideas on Twitter.  Unsurprisingly, everyone of them shite.  He obviously still has the hump about getting turfed out, and has therefore turned to sticking the knife into Scottish Football ever since.  A bawbag of the highest order.

3 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

I clocked it earlier on. Mitchell's a fucking crackpot and has been for years. Although the ex-Chief Exec of the SPL being thick as mince is probably the least surprising news anyone could receive. 

3 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

Tbf, it demonstrates that Mitchell is a welt, for me.

24 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Who the f**k is Roger Mitchell? 

Not many people know this, but he's actually the uncle of Hearts full-back Demetri Mitchell. 

No relation, whatsoever, to former Kilmarnock player Ally Mitchell. 

HTH.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Roger Mitchell blocked me today, surprising that it took so long cos I am pretty sure at least 3 other tweets of his were brought to my attention and I called him a c**t then too.

Following on from the likes of Well Fans Two and Jamie Murphy...

Noticed an interview with Robinson running through the PA earlier, there are a couple of interesting bits about the strategy and our model.

I may be misreading emphasis here but it sounds like we're largely patching the non-league route. Also interesting to read that (understandably) we're looking at the "next crop"...presumably that's the likes of Semple and McAlear?

A few choice quotes from the piece below (I've clipped it a bit). Also, there's a pretty heavy sell in the sign off, curious to know if that's framed at guys like Brown, Watson and McLaughlin who we've picked up around 18 from other clubs or if he's simply meaning younger kids and it's a selling point to parents (could be both I guess):

The Lanarkshire club have achieved success in the Vanarama National League transfer market in recent seasons by signing the likes of Louis Moult, Ben Heneghan and Marvin Johnson and selling them on.

But that policy is becoming more difficult and Motherwell are now benefiting from hard work in their youth academy with teenagers David Turnbull and Jake Hastie bursting onto the scene in recent months.

The pair, along with 20-year-old Allan Campbell, have scored nine of Motherwell’s last 10 goals and been instrumental in a six-match winning run in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

Robinson said: “Now non-league players down south are probably earning more than we can afford to pay so it has to be the way forward. It always has been our policy.

“You can’t put the young kids in until they are ready. We have another crop of young kids coming through, four or five Scottish internationals. So we have a good breeding ground.

“You have got to be brave as a manager and the timing has got to be right, it wasn’t at the start of the season.

“But putting a young player in for 10 minutes and coming out isn’t really blooding them. As we have done with Allan Campbell, Jake Hastie, Chris Cadden, David Turnbull, you put them in and they stay in. That’s when they are ready for the first team.

“We have done that quite well and that’s what we will do with the younger guys.

“That has to be the way the club goes. We can’t pay transfer fees, we have to make sure we develop our own and do it at the right time.

“I think young kids who have a choice who to sign for should look very closely at Motherwell because you get chances here, you play football.”