Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It's ok, I'll sit and watch people make excuses for Kettlewell, manipulate the stats in his favour. 

I just hope he proves me wrong.

Regardless of "budgets" Aberdeen are dogshite and we've basically let them f**k us. Let's hope we continue to beat Ross County and Livingston.

39 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Bit harsh...3-2 at Dens, however many injury-time goals, Bair, Spittal, a win at Tynecastle...it's not a vintage season by any means but nor is just one 90 minutes.

And while these seasons are hardly great, if our bad seasons are comfortably ninth (assuming we see it out ofc) then big picture we're doing very well.

The 3-2 at Dens kept the glimmer of top 6 going for another week. I suppose any elation there was similar to what Aberdeen fans got when they slotted in their 3rd in February.

The injury time goals pretty much have been there to salvage a point than secure 3. I suppose I'm just fed up of us surrendering the first goal (often meekly) week after week.

The football has been more entertaining than anything I witnessed under Alexander and left me pulling out my hair less than Hammell, I suppose my frustration is fuelled by pretty much everything we did until late August and what we've subsequently done after it.

Our league position and early cup exits are going to be rescued by Kev's money, Theo Bair's impending sale and compo for Dean and Max. The last one there is another reason to draw a line under this season as soon as.

Being responsible for one quarter of Aberdeen's points and half the clean sheets of the club rooted to the bottom better get addressed.

A fresh start will no doubt revive my optimism.

I thought we were on for at least a point today before the red card. Luckily results elsewhere went our way. 

Most of my memories of the 29th December 2007 were of the silence after Phil collapsed. I can’t even remember what the score was but I’d guess 5-3 or 4-2 Motherwell and I certainly couldn’t remember Avril was Dundee United manager. I do remember Clarkson and McCormack both scoring sublime chips but Clarkson’s was even better than I’d remembered on last night’s AVFTT. 

10 hours ago, Marinello said:

Wouldn't bet on " we'll win next week". 

Was at Livi/ RC game today and Livi showed  great desire and no little ability in winning 2-0. 

They will feel they can win against a Motherwell team with little to play for and hope County and SJ lose again.

As for County!!! After beating Rangers they were unbelievably brutal. Offered nothing.

Most Livi fans of view that Obilye is coming to us. I hope not as he is pretty substandard.

More than substandard, he's shite. He doesn't have a left foot :D 

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

It's ok, I'll sit and watch people make excuses for Kettlewell, manipulate the stats in his favour. 

I just hope he proves me wrong.

Regardless of "budgets" Aberdeen are dogshite and we've basically let them f**k us. Let's hope we continue to beat Ross County and Livingston.

No one is manipulating in his favour more than those manipulating against tbf.

8 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Dunno why we were all making a fuss about that red card because it's an absolute howler of a challenge. Not malicious, just extremely fucking stupid.

You can definitely say in today's game making any kind of 'blind' challenge like that is stupid because of how it can be interpreted.

On the other hand, he's entitled to say he judged it perfectly, won the ball cleanly (and not just with a toe or his studs, he caught it perfectly) and it's not his fault the Aberdeen lad was late.

There wasn't excessive force, there obviously wasn't intent, for me it's a never red card.

10 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I thought we were on for at least a point today before the red card. Luckily results elsewhere went our way. 

Most of my memories of the 29th December 2007 were of the silence after Phil collapsed. I can’t even remember what the score was but I’d guess 5-3 or 4-2 Motherwell and I certainly couldn’t remember Avril was Dundee United manager. I do remember Clarkson and McCormack both scoring sublime chips but Clarkson’s was even better than I’d remembered on last night’s AVFTT. 

Think it was 5-1 from memory.

28 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

The game finished 5-3.

Hughes, Porter, McCormack and Clarkson (X2) were the scorers

It would never have finished 5-3 but the player's minds were, understandably, elsewhere after what happened with Uncle Phil. 

We were absolutely fantastic that day against a Dundee United team who were also doing well at the time. 

4 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

You can definitely say in today's game making any kind of 'blind' challenge like that is stupid because of how it can be interpreted.

On the other hand, he's entitled to say he judged it perfectly, won the ball cleanly (and not just with a toe or his studs, he caught it perfectly) and it's not his fault the Aberdeen lad was late.

There wasn't excessive force, there obviously wasn't intent, for me it's a never red card.

I'm not sure you can say you won the ball cleanly when you follow through and stud the opposition player in the bollocks. He's caught the ball with his knee as he's hammered straight through the tackle without looking. 

Probably a booking about 10 years ago. Nailed on red nowadays.

42 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

It would never have finished 5-3 but the player's minds were, understandably, elsewhere after what happened with Uncle Phil. 

We were absolutely fantastic that day against a Dundee United team who were also doing well at the time. 

Up until the unfortunate happening this was probably the best performance I have ever seen from any Motherwell team in my lifetime. 

46 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'm not sure you can say you won the ball cleanly when you follow through and stud the opposition player in the bollocks. He's caught the ball with his knee as he's hammered straight through the tackle without looking. 

The danger is (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone) - is seeing incidents and judging them on what we want them to be rather than what the current interpretation of the laws actually are (and I think the longer you've been going to the football, the worse the effect is)

In my own set of rules, yesterday was a yellow card as it was accidental and only thing it really endangered was the Aberdeen player's ability to father children - but that's not close to the reality of what referees are told to do with challenges like that now. Handball is worse - almost nothing that's given as a penalty for handball now lines up with my view of what it should be - but it's hard to argue when you know what the rules are now.

As I said on the match thread, I'm way more wound up about the fact that there has been no progress made over the course of the season in making us able to defend corners/set pieces - it's fucking maddening, it's the biggest black mark against Kettlewell and it's killed us this season way more than a few refereeing decisions. We're bottom 6 because we give away poor goals every single week and it can't continue.

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

The danger is (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone) - is seeing incidents and judging them on what we want them to be rather than what the current interpretation of the laws actually are (and I think the longer you've been going to the football, the worse the effect is)

In my own set of rules, yesterday was a yellow card as it was accidental and only thing it really endangered was the Aberdeen player's ability to father children - but that's not close to the reality of what referees are told to do with challenges like that now. Handball is worse - almost nothing that's given as a penalty for handball now lines up with my view of what it should be - but it's hard to argue when you know what the rules are now.

Nailed it with that tbh.
I think most of us are guilty to a greater or lesser extent, if we're honest.

What's especially annoying these days is the 'experts' on the telly are also very guilty of it, and they just exacerbate the misunderstandings rather than helping to fix them.   FFS, they're getting paid to talk about the finer details of the game, they should take the time to understand the rules properly, and yet they can't be arsed.

With the handball rules the every-goddamned-week outcry over another stupid decision means they should be changing those rules sharpish.

The 'protecting the player' kind of rules I can get on board with - that does after all trickle down to our fives and sevens games, and I'd rather be able to tell someone to feck off if they've steamed in with no regard to my aging limbs and joints ;)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

But he did win the ball cleanly, he clearly played it first right out the middle of his boot. He wasn't wild, he wasn't out of control, he wasn't high. The follow through was a perfectly natural continuation of him swinging his leg, it's ridiculous to ask players to stop their foot upon contact with the ball incase someone arrives late and runs into them.

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

But he did win the ball cleanly, he clearly played it first right out the middle of his boot. He wasn't wild, he wasn't out of control, he wasn't high. The follow through was a perfectly natural continuation of him swinging his leg, it's ridiculous to ask players to stop their foot upon contact with the ball incase someone arrives late and runs into them.

He caught someone at stomach height, studs towards their body, and put his foot in that position while also not knowing exactly where that player was. You can't just turn around while running with your foot at that height and try and claim you're not dangerous.

It's quite clearly a red card and going by this description I was expecting something vaguely controversial but it's just not.

I really wanted to be raging about the red card, having heard Ketts on the radio before I saw it. I took one look at the clip and instantly thought "yup, absolute stick on".