Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

59 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Just perusing the released lists from the English lower leagues and honestly, who even knew Jim O'Brien is still kicking a baw.

Good lad, nice to read - and "leading the team at Grimsby" must be one of the most modest career highlights ever recorded.

As much as he's grown on me, I think now seems like a natural ending of ways with Bevis. As mentioned before, apart from the academy players he's been here the longest. As much as I'll miss his lanky form going on a wander with the ball randomly, and the African facebook fan invasion, him and Kelly can be thanked for their efforts. Would probably say the same for Slattery but we might extend him for 6 months to recover, with an option on another 6 if he's back to being top Slatts.

9 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

Aye, was wondering this myself. I think SOD is perfectly fine as an option for us, but can see him moving into the back three and playing on the right of it to support whoever we end up with at RWB.

Ideally keep Bevis and just tell him to launch the ball to f**k as the middle CB of the three to minimise his potential to pass the ball to the opposition.

They both definitely seem like decent guys and the sort of character you'll ideally have around the club for good length of time. Bevis maybe has bigger peaks and troughs- he can be absolutely dominant at times and has scored some big goals for us but sells the jerseys fairly frequently. SOD is a bit more steady- if we're honest, he's rarely more than a 6/10 but is a bit less prone to the comedic but game losing error than Mugabi.

I feel like I've talked myself out of wanting to keep either of them over the course of that paragraph but there's probably something in the devil you know being better etc and I'm not convinced that whatever other 2nd choice centreback we hypothetically bring in wouldn't be equally flawed. Of the two I'd still lean towards Bevis, he's arguably got a higher ceiling and has 3 years on SOD (who has already lost a yard or two of pace.) I get the impression Ketts will do the opposite though.

We will obviously offer Slattery terms. I'm sure I saw someone on here say they saw him still limping at a game recently, so I guess it's not a given he'll be ready for day one of pre season.

My fear is that with the rumoured even smaller budget next season, that he will go along with Halliday, Davor and Paton to complete our centre midfield options, with Miller having been sold. 

I think Slattery is a player on a good day, but I don't know if I'd want to rely that heavily on him over the course of a full season.

Fair play to Mandron, I must admit I didn't see a player there for us but seems to really fit that Robinson system and, by all accounts, is having a great season (haven't really seen much of him, games against us aside). 

8 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Fair play to Mandron, I must admit I didn't see a player there for us but seems to really fit that Robinson system and, by all accounts, is having a great season (haven't really seen much of him, games against us aside). 

Absolutely, he's done brilliantly (although as an odd quirk I don't think he's played well against us yet).

Presumably it's a sliding doors moment for Bair too in that if we'd signed strikers who could actually stand, he would have had much less game time from being fourth-choice pick.

Just noticed that Spittal's goal against County is nominated for the Goal of the Season. Feels quite weird that in the epitome of a mediocre season, we have nods for POTY, YPOTY and GOTY (wonder if we've ever managed that before)...

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Just noticed that Spittal's goal against County is nominated for the Goal of the Season. Feels quite weird that in the epitome of a mediocre season, we have nods for POTY, YPOTY and GOTY (wonder if we've ever managed that before)...

Whoever put the shortlist together likes pings from 20 odd yards.

Not much variety here.

Notice how none of them are against us, don't get many goal of he season contenders from our standard way of conceding ..... SOD slips, Bevis then being sold a dummy, Blaney rooted to the spot and McGinn's hands out and shoulders shrugged as it trickles over the line and Kelly going mental at everything.

42 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Notice how none of them are against us, don't get many goal of he season contenders from our standard way of conceding ..... SOD slips, Bevis then being sold a dummy, Blaney rooted to the spot and McGinn's hands out and shoulders shrugged as it trickles over the line and Kelly going mental at everything.

Not sure how interesting 10 free headers between the six yard line and the penalty spot would be to the casual viewer. 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

They should have a funniest goal conceded award, I'm sure we'd feature in that.

You could have a St Johnstone sweep with two free kicks bobbling around before being sclaffed in as runners-up behind Kelly soaring out to miss the ball completely for it to hit Bevis and roll in.

Actually Kelly could have his own section devoted entirely to corners.

I don't think it's unreasonable that we concede more this season - weaker wing backs or midfield, the middle of defence is under more pressure, Butcher never recovered etc. Annoying or not, there's a logical explanation.

The total collapse from set pieces on the other hand is a different matter. You can literally wander into position and do the same thing you've practiced five days a week before. But no, free kicks, corners, shys (theirs), shys (ours)...for professional players and coaches it should be an embarrassment.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

31 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Feature? Gold, silver and bronze, a clean sweep of the medals!

If we did St Mirren fans would be all up in here giving their tuppence worth because that's what they do now.

3 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Feature? Gold, silver and bronze, a clean sweep of the medals!

I think supporters of the other clubs might have something to say. I've seen some absolute howlers on Sportscene (although I'm not sure anything compares to Dundee United's efforts last season).