Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'll admit I've not listened to that or read it etc. However if he said anything that resembles the headline he's a clown. 

12 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Kettlewell has embarrassed himself with his comments over the last few days, we've had plenty of decisions against us this season, this one in particular is an extremely weird hill to die on.

Agree that those comments about "coaching players differently" is ridiculous. The annoying thing for me from this press conference would be if this is the takeaway as he actually made some good and helpful comments around VAR imo which I'd rather was the main story. He's the first manager I've heard (admittedly don't listen to every manager's every word) that's come out and said how poor VAR is for the paying fan's enjoyment of the game and it'd be a shame if that comment was lost behind the nonsense on coaching.

Posted (edited)

Admittedly I haven't watched the whole 17 min presser but I actually don't think his point about potentially having to coach players differently is that ridiculous. If we're bringing VAR into the equation and having to consider that a coming together may be interpreted as a red card on review then you're probably asking players to change how they approach the game - basically rather than commit they're being asked to pull out of challenges they'd otherwise have made instinctively.

The way he's choosing to frame things sounds unhinged but in a broad sense it's fair comment in terms of the (negative) impact VAR is having on the game IMO.

That said, while I get that he's only answering questions he's being asked making this a hill to die on is wild.

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Admittedly I haven't watched the whole 17 min presser but I actually don't think his point about potentially having to coach players differently is that ridiculous. If we're bringing VAR into the equation and having to consider that a coming together may be interpreted as a red card on review then you're probably asking players to change how they approach the game - basically rather than commit they're being asked to pull out of challenges they'd otherwise have made instinctively.

I think his point is entirely fair in theory but in practice how often will it matter... essentially you're telling players to be extra careful when off balance because the apportioning of blame has changed.  Which is sensible enough as a two line comment in the dressing room, allowing a newspaper headline to be made out of it was rather unnecessary.

There have been god knows how many wrong and/or stupid decisions this year, we said our bit after the game and he'd have been better blocking with a straight bat and moving on to this week imho.

"Rangers have demanded a five-figure compensation sum from Dundee over the two postponements at rain-hit Dens Park, the sum being the cost of their two pre-match stays in St Andrews - as well as their travel expenses. (Scottish Sun)" 

Hell bloody mend them.

Just wondering, but has there been any news on next seasons kits? I was pretty sure there was a "Submit your own design" competition with some decision making closer to the new season.

Haven't seen any updates since then. Just thought about it when see the email about this seasons tops being discounted 

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The way he's choosing to frame things sounds unhinged but in a broad sense it's fair comment in terms of the (negative) impact VAR is having on the game IMO.

That said, while I get that he's only answering questions he's being asked making this a hill to die on is wild.

100% agree with all this. 

It's just in his nature to answer questions at length which is fine really. That's just how he is. But he could probably have made his point about training/imparting info on to players differently due to VAR, nipped it in the bud and moved on. 

He's got my backing in as much as if every player is getting sent off for that Vale situation then we do need to tell players not to be making clearances like that anymore. Which is mental. But if if that's where we are in football then it's where we are. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Just wondering, but has there been any news on next seasons kits? I was pretty sure there was a "Submit your own design" competition with some decision making closer to the new season.

Haven't seen any updates since then. Just thought about it when see the email about this seasons tops being discounted 

The focus groups were on 6th September and you're right there was a (non-binding) submit your own design thing.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/08/25/focus-on-kit-24-25/

There were a few regular Motherwell Twitter posters involved with the focus group and they shared some photos at the time.

The WS posted this on October 4th so it's still Macron we're working with.

Fwiw the launch of this season's home kit was June 23rd and the away was July 12th 14th.

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The focus groups were on 6th September and you're right there was a (non-binding) submit your own design thing.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/08/25/focus-on-kit-24-25/

There were a few regular Motherwell Twitter posters involved with the focus group and they shared some photos at the time.

The WS posted this on October 4th so it's still Macron we're working with.

Fwiw the launch of this season's home kit was June 23rd and the away was July 12th 14th.

Motherwell usually knock it out of the park with kits tbh. Same again this year.

4 hours ago, eliphas said:

100% agree with all this. 

It's just in his nature to answer questions at length which is fine really. That's just how he is. But he could probably have made his point about training/imparting info on to players differently due to VAR, nipped it in the bud and moved on. 

He's got my backing in as much as if every player is getting sent off for that Vale situation then we do need to tell players not to be making clearances like that anymore. Which is mental. But if if that's where we are in football then it's where we are. 

Kettlewell gets asked questions and he answers them. That's good enough for me. 

On 23/04/2024 at 17:04, ropy said:

If the club needs £1M then we could raise it.  We could be creative.  I would pay £1000 up front for the right to buy my season ticket for £100 for the next five years.  Mix those numbers up to suit the club and the individual.  Sell more shares to the punters.  Auction things off including the right to play in a match at Fir Park (been done before hasn’t it?).  Maybe a number of events or initiatives over a period of time but it doesn’t seem an insurmountable total and certainly not worth selling the club for.

Surely any meaningful transfer of ownership proposal would start the conversation at around £10M?

Just need a blue Peter totaliser and we can raise the money to fend off a cheap skate investor.

Posted (edited)

Really looking forward to seeing Moult, Watt , Grimshaw and Gallagher scoring against us at some point next season. 

Edited by Ron Aldo

24 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Really looking forward to seeing Moult, Watt , Grimshaw and Gallagher scoring against us at some point next season. 

Watched their game and was thinking the same.

25 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Whilst that’s all a nailed on grim certainty, I’m more concerned about how our rebuild is going to go. 

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Whilst that’s all a nailed on grim certainty, I’m more concerned about how our rebuild is going to go. 

Yeah I'm with you on that. The size of rebuild we'll need has me rather concerned too.

As for next seasons kit, I still live in hope that we'll get a new version of the jester kit at some point.

This time last season, when we, at this point, still had Lamie, Maguire, Efford, Danzaki, McGinley, Morris and Shields contracted for this season, we'd probably have been glad of the clean slate we've got this summer.

That's not to say it couldn't still go badly wrong - but let's hope there are more like Mika, Bair and Gent and less like Shaw, Souare and Obika.

I, for one, am much looking forward to Kettlewell making the rebuild even bigger with some mad left field contracts getting ripped up/making people disappear/swimming with the fishes style mutuals.