Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Most Livi fans of view that Obilye is coming to us. I hope not as he is pretty substandard.

That will be a done deal then.. can he defend corners better than school-kids is all we need ask.

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

I'm very much not looking forward to another season of Andy Halliday. 

I am shocked he's not very good.

Stuart Kettlewell is getting away with murder IMO. We're so fucking shite. 

Thought Halliday would be a good signing when he joined in January but the more I see of him the less I'm convinced that he's what we need. 

He could come good if he gets a pre-season behind him but I can't help but feel that we're now very much seeing why he couldn't get a game for Hearts.

FWIW I think he was far from being the worst today.

1 hour ago, D-Fens Foster said:

I don’t have the stats so could be wrong but i’d think Kelly has probably cost us points this season that could have got us top 6 in the end ? The shocker against Morton in the cup as well. Heard he is on ridiculous money for us but again that’s pure speculation on my part. I will be more than happy when he leaves in the summer 

He stopped you from being on the end of big defeat today.

27 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Thought Halliday would be a good signing when he joined in January but the more I see of him the less I'm convinced that he's what we need. 

He could come good if he gets a pre-season behind him but I can't help but feel that we're now very much seeing why he couldn't get a game for Hearts.

FWIW I think he was far from being the worst today.

Wonder if he negotiated time off for Christmas panto season with the other two dickheads?

He looks absolutely done. However, this time last year Butcher looked like a world beater so hoping for the reverse.

We have a few experienced heads potentially leaving, and some more youngsters on the cusp of more first team minites, so having someone of hallidays experience in the middle of the park is a good idea. Would be happier if said person wasn't actually halliday, but as said above, he may be more effective after a proper pre season.

Didn't think we were particularly bad today, then the red took the game away from us. Even then we had some pressure near the end but we couldn't quite carve out the clear chance for Oli Shaw to miss.

Loved SKs calling out the ref for being a virgin that wouldn't look so much like a pale alien if he spent less time in the dark wanking to videos of refs giving cards.

Yet again I point at the "stop panicking, the teams below you are too shite to catch you" plaque.

Watch our "highlights" v Hibs for further evidence. Hibs scored 3, missed 3 one on ones and had 2 cleared off the line, while our players chucked it after 10 minutes and got roundly booed for the entire game, and our manager saw it not working for 60 minutes before making subs while keep the same not working shape going for the full game.

FWIW, I don't think Kelly was bad today,  actually made some good stops. Find it absolutely hilarious (in a if you don't laugh you'll cry way) that he's the 13th best keeper in the division though.

The red card? I didn't think it was at the time and still don't think it is now. A foul and a yellow for Vale would have been correct imo. The refereeing across the SPFL is particularly chronic at the moment. 

I actually thought we were pretty comfortable in the game until the red card. I'm a fan of Spittal but it's now becoming a waste of time playing him, he's away and couldn't look less interested. I know we're pretty much safe, but let's just win next week eh? 

We're a very bizarre team, when we're good we're really good, but when we are off it we make the wildest, most basic level errors and go into complete panic mode. Also quite hard to believe that we've not been able to beat the worst Aberdeen team in years, given how well we've generally done against some of the better sides they've had in recent years. 

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I am shocked he's not very good.

Stuart Kettlewell is getting away with murder IMO. We're so fucking shite. 

I respect the fact that you’ve never changed your tune on Kettlewell.

I‘m very much of the same opinion but gave up calling for his head when it became clear during the wretched run that he wasn’t getting binned no matter what.

I reckon calls for his head will begin again in earnest by September/October however. 

I was fine with us signing Halliday in January when we looked pretty doomed and kept running out of midfielders. IMO he's pretty clearly past it though and if PCAs are as shaky as they seem to be nowadays then it should be "cheers Andy, enjoy the Championship". 

22 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

‘m very much of the same opinion but gave up calling for his head when it became clear during the wretched run that he wasn’t getting binned no matter what.

Yeah I am not calling for his head. it's pointless. I am just gonna point out we're shite and hope he makes me look like a dick. I suspect you are right about timescales.

Spittal not at it again, Halliday’s only move was to stymie our attacks with a pass back to Kelly.  We had good chances in the first half and plenty of attacks but no threat in the second.  Kelly was absolutely fine today.

Apparently we have the 11th or 10th smallest budget in the league. Yet our Manager gets us to 7th and the  probably 9th or 8th and people want him sacked. 

Just shows what a shitshow it is being a Manager. Also remember he was hamstrung with several players on 2 year deals. 

He is not perfect - Obika and Shaw as an example. But unless he gets us relegated or looking like he will get us relegated he will stay and should stay in position. 

4 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Sad days when the single highlight of your season is a result at Ibrox ..... with zero other redeeming factors other than maybe Lennon establishing himself as a starter.

Bit harsh...3-2 at Dens, however many injury-time goals, Bair, Spittal, a win at Tynecastle...it's not a vintage season by any means but nor is just one 90 minutes.

And while these seasons are hardly great, if our bad seasons are comfortably ninth (assuming we see it out ofc) then big picture we're doing very well.

18 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Apparently we have the 11th or 10th smallest budget in the league. Yet our Manager gets us to 7th and the  probably 9th or 8th and people want him sacked. 

Just shows what a shitshow it is being a Manager. Also remember he was hamstrung with several players on 2 year deals. 

He is not perfect - Obika and Shaw as an example. But unless he gets us relegated or looking like he will get us relegated he will stay and should stay in position. 

It's also worth pointing out that beyond his plus points he's mainly been clearing up the shit from before.

If he has a good summer we can look forward to better times. If he screws it we'll take action in autumn and start another salvation job.

I've got no idea what I'll happen but paying him off to roll the dice on another new appointment right now would be mental.

24 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Apparently we have the 11th or 10th smallest budget in the league.

Not a chance.

I’d say Ross County and Livingston have the lowest budgets. 

Then there is a group of teams of similar budgets - Motherwell, St Mirren, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone.

Dundee and Dundee United are clearly financial basket cases so not included. 

Then you move up a level to Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts. 

Then the bigot brothers. 

IMG_9342.thumb.jpeg.b29bab7e2e9b61b3a9a11914601d5790.jpeg

IMG_9343.thumb.jpeg.f41a2eada933095d5241867d36024041.jpeg

IMG_9344.thumb.jpeg.34fb7a1341db7979e452e6c1f70f648d.jpeg
IMG_9345.thumb.jpeg.e46af9f1887a133d73f418786e15e132.jpeg

Edited by Molotov

36 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Apparently we have the 11th or 10th smallest budget in the league. 

Nah.

We budget to finish 10th with no cup runs.

That doesn't mean we have the 10th/11th smallest budget, just that we "guarantee" ourselves that level of prize money when planning each season.