Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

33 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I was expecting@capt_oats to have a highlights video up when I just read a group chat message saying he’d signed. I’m not disappointed. Good man.

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’ve never heard of Hylton but he scored a very decent amount of goals last season. How many had Marvellous scored before he joined?

5ceeefd77fd69_ScreenShot2019-05-29at21_46_57.png.75b02e988a6566bd8b4ce7fa661ce324.png

Can really play anywhere across the front 4 from my understanding in his YouTube clubs and Football Manager :lol: He has seemed to score a barrel load of goals from those positions and seems a quick and tricky winger like Gboly, would love to see the both of them tearing it up next season for us.

He certainly looks more in the Marvellous Marv mould than Elliott Frear.

Robinson seems to prefer his wide men who are more direct and comfortable coming inside instead of being glued to the touch line. Probably why it never really worked out for Frear even after the change of style, that plus he lacked the physique that Robinson also seems to favour. 

So one down, about four more to go?

Following on from the Hylton signing I notice Burrows saying on Twitter:

Pleased to get @Hylton_24 signed up as the fifth arrival of the summer so far. Excited to see what he can add to the team in those wide areas... There's more to come with more wingers and strikers on the agenda, so keep checking back in. #COYW

and Robinson's quote on the official:

”We’ve added five new faces and our priority remains adding more reinforcements at the top end of the park in terms of strikers and wingers.”

It seems we're going hard with wide players and forwards which, I'm not going to lie, is quite exciting as it suggests we're going baws oot and sticking with #SexyMotherwell and the 433 (especially if Gboly remains a key target). As @Casagolda says it looks like Robinson has a clear idea of what he's after up front; pace, directness and a degree of physicality.

If that's the case then - just putting it out there - Danny Johnson looks increasingly less and less of a fit in the squad eh?

Obviously it's good to have different ways of playing and everything but if our go to is a shape that has one central striker and we have both CEO & Manager talking about adding strikers to the group it pushes Johnson further out to the margins. Granted we might ship Jimmy Scott out on loan for 6 months but there's no getting away from the fact that Johnson's been dropped down the pecking order. If we add another couple of centre forwards then you're potentially looking at 4 players for one space.

Including Cadden because AFAIK he still has a deal on the table and Ariyibi because we've been public about trying to sort a deal then this is roughly where we are (tbh, Semple should be in the Turnbull/Polworth bracket and Cornelius next to Campbell but limited by characters innit):

lineup.png.5ed59acdb572ee70328fc027f9e7c4d0.png

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Following on from the Hylton signing I notice Burrows saying on Twitter:

and Robinson's quote on the official:

It seems we're going hard with wide players and forwards which, I'm not going to lie, is quite exciting as it suggests we're going baws oot and sticking with #SexyMotherwell and the 433 (especially if Gboly remains a key target). As @Casagolda says it looks like Robinson has a clear idea of what he's after up front; pace, directness and a degree of physicality.

If that's the case then - just putting it out there - Danny Johnson looks increasingly less and less of a fit in the squad eh?

Obviously it's good to have different ways of playing and everything but if our go to is a shape that has one central striker and we have both CEO & Manager talking about adding strikers to the group it pushes Johnson further out to the margins. Granted we might ship Jimmy Scott out on loan for 6 months but there's no getting away from the fact that Johnson's been dropped down the pecking order. If we add another couple of centre forwards then you're potentially looking at 4 players for one space.

Including Cadden because AFAIK he still has a deal on the table and Ariyibi because we've been public about trying to sort a deal then this is roughly where we are (tbh, Semple should be in the Turnbull/Polworth bracket and Cornelius next to Campbell but limited by characters innit):

lineup.png.5ed59acdb572ee70328fc027f9e7c4d0.png

That has the makings of a decent squad.

The interesting one for me is Hartley. I assumed he'd be gone (and there's still plenty of time for that to be the case) but I wouldn't be at all disappointed if he stayed. If he can get a good pre-season under his belt and get back to how he was when he first signed then he's pretty much a like-for-like replacement for Aldred (who, ironically, was a replacement when Hartley got injured in the first place).

30 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

The interesting one for me is Hartley. I assumed he'd be gone (and there's still plenty of time for that to be the case) but I wouldn't be at all disappointed if he stayed. If he can get a good pre-season under his belt and get back to how he was when he first signed then he's pretty much a like-for-like replacement for Aldred (who, ironically, was a replacement when Hartley got injured in the first place).

Aye, Hartley's in a strange position. He doesn't really fit in a back 4 on account of pace and what not. He's not starting ahead of Dunne and there were times McHugh filled in as left sided centre half ahead of him.

You'd think he'd be taking up a fair amount of budget especially given he didn't play a minute of football after the Ross County debacle yet barring the final day against Livi he was available for every squad.

5cef9a6563504_ScreenShot2019-05-30at09_54_34.png.dc03d14e019028a93b9d6aeac004fa82.png

That said, having him around gives the opportunity to switch to a 3 if needed and tbf Dunne - Hartley - Gallagher sounds pretty fucking solid but even then from his POV it's an ask to have him sat on the bench on the off chance we decide to go with a back 3 for whatever reason.

Especially as this was his line when he initially signed:

Peter Hartley says his desperation to make his mark in football before he is forced to retire led to him heading on a season-long loan to Motherwell.

The 29-year-old defender had found himself on the bench for Blackpool after his summer switch on a two-year contract from Bristol Rovers.

"I can't sit in stands and watch games of football when the clock is ticking,"

"I signed at Blackpool with a goal to play in every single moment of every game," said Hartley.

"And, when that didn't happen after three or four games, I moved sharply to play because I am 29 and my biggest enemy is time - and I've got things that I need to achieve in my career.

I've loads of time for #Pete6 but the extent to which he didn't play (along with the club captaincy thing) is a pretty massive elephant in the room (particularly taking his previous comments into account).

Interesting (and very heartening for us) from the PWC state of football thingy they do every year. On the back of a good commercial season in 2017/18 - all our stats look very healthy indeed:

Sorry there is some duplication there - but the point of this is that after a good season commercially in 2017/18,  the fundamentals of the club look really healthy. On the surface, it seems obvious that one should follow the other but that is precisely what didn't happen under Dempster in the McCall years - we *lost* money on good seasons due to paying out too much in wages and not realising any money on transfers. As things stand, the club is looking like a model of how fan ownership should be done at our scale.

Interesting to note that only Ross County, Dundee and (natch) Rangers broke the 70% wages to turnover rule which means that as a whole, common sense is prevailing more than it ever has done....

14 minutes ago, Swello said:

Interesting to note that only Ross County, Dundee and (natch) Rangers broke the 70% wages to turnover rule which means that as a whole, common sense is prevailing more than it ever has done....

Despite shelling out so much in wages, in relation to turnover, two of those clubs got relegated from the Premiership.

The other is a fucking basket case of a football club.  I can't see that stat changing for Rangers in 2018/19 even though they'll have additional income from their European run, considering how much they're shelling out in wages on the likes of Arfield, McGregor, Defoe & Davis.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Interesting (and very heartening for us) from the PWC state of football thingy they do every year. On the back of a good commercial season in 2017/18 - all our stats look very healthy indeed:

Sorry there is some duplication there - but the point of this is that after a good season commercially in 2017/18,  the fundamentals of the club look really healthy. On the surface, it seems obvious that one should follow the other but that is precisely what didn't happen under Dempster in the McCall years - we *lost* money on good seasons due to paying out too much in wages and not realising any money on transfers. As things stand, the club is looking like a model of how fan ownership should be done at our scale.

I think this season's numbers will be an interesting test in that respect seeing as the two cup finals and the resultant record turnover throw everything out of whack.

This season you're looking at a modest league finish (though only 1 place down on last season), decent player trading with Kipré and Bowman out (though not hugely down on the Heneghan, Moult, Johnson % income) paired with a respectable enough LC showing and a shambles of a SC campaign.

If we're able to turn even a small profit off the back of a season like that (which seems far more representative of average) then it should put the Dempster era into context and also confirm the viability of the current model.

Edited by capt_oats

Not sure how much you can read into this sort of thing (there's definitely thought goes into our strategy) but either way it's interesting to see Adam Livingstone seems to be appearing a bit more in the socials for the ST campaign.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Not sure how much you can read into this sort of thing (there's definitely thought goes into our strategy) but either way it's interesting to see Adam Livingstone seems to be appearing a bit more in the socials for the ST campaign.

I genuinely think it’s because I’m being paranoid but I can’t help but think Cadden isn’t featuring in this sort of content because he’s away. I’m not ready to give him up yet, I’ve only just started to accept that Ciftci won’t be back. 

25 minutes ago, CSmith said:

I genuinely think it’s because I’m being paranoid but I can’t help but think Cadden isn’t featuring in this sort of content because he’s away. I’m not ready to give him up yet, I’ve only just started to accept that Ciftci won’t be back. 

I believe he is more than likely to be off,  which whilst a shame is probably what he needs. I assume wherever he goes we would be entitled to compensation.  He may end up staying but the odds are looking Long on that happening. 

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I believe he is more than likely to be off,  which whilst a shame is probably what he needs. I assume wherever he goes we would be entitled to compensation.  He may end up staying but the odds are looking Long on that happening. 

Completely understand this view and until the formation change, I was much in agreement. RWB actually looks like an ideal position for him on paper, however it just never seemed to click for him consistently. When we switched to the 41212 with Cadden at right back and Grimmy on the right of the midfield, I thought he looked really good, overlapping with Grimmy covering for him. However then he got injured and didn’t get much time playing in the new system

Selfishly I’d love him to stay and try and cement his position at RW, but admittedly I think it looks unlikely. 

I’d be alright with Cadden moving on this summer to be honest. 

What else can he realistically do here? He’s played well over a 100 games, played in 2 cup finals, a top six finish and even got capped for Scotland. 

He’s stagnated in recent times and it feels like now is the right time for him to move on. Let him get the fresh start and a new challenge it sounds like he wants, while we get a sizeable chunk of compensation.

Everyone’s a winner. 

Edited by Casagolda

And so it begins.............

Daily Mail reporting incoming bid of £1.2m from Celtic with Brighton reportedly interested.

Where they get the figure from who knows.

What I do  know is that at less than £2m he will be going nowhere. 

Sadly I think he will be off this summer as someone will quite possibly meet our expectations with a sizeable sell on fee + possibly loaning him abck to us if it is a club down south...

Someone like Aston Villa might take a punt on Turnbull, having seen the advantage of the Scottish market with McGinn. I hope he stays for at least another year, but I’m this day and age our clubs can’t really turn down fair 7 figure offers.