Stranraer FC 2016/17

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about the 20's Manager, normally they play a part and step in.

Not too sure who officially is the 20's manager. There's four guys hang about the dug out, one being Tommy Turner who spends the whole game shouting at officials, too similar to Reid. Think the other guys are just boys parents.
Alan Jenkins is doing a great job overseeing a lot of the youth stuff but he's still playing for Balleymena so don't know if he'd take. Think he's on a pretty penny over there combined with his other work I think Stranraer may struggle to compete wage wise.
Expect Chris Aitken to be given the job until the end of the season, similar circumstances to his brother was appointed.
If Tiff does get the job I'd imagine Stevie Bell would become an assistant to him at some point. Played together for years and Stevie now doing his badges.

Guest TOPFITTER
11 hours ago, Zone F said:

What was Craig Thompson like when he was with you's??

Another Brian Reid failed signing, Very low percentage successful cross attempts,  low percentage beating his man, bad at tracking back, mostly appeared disinterested at being at a lower league outfit, tackled like a wet fish. Apart from that a great success and kept his hair trim. Sure he will find his level at a lower league Junior team if lucky !!!

Guest TOPFITTER

Hope Stranraer FC have been using the last few weeks of B Reid's tenure to decide on their permanent recruitment procedure and hopefully identifying targets. I'm afraid for the longer term none of the last management/coaching set-up that failed so badly can be seen to be given a second chance so new blood it must be. Stair Park will be seen by many up and coming new coaches as a great start to their management career, maybe two for the price of one Player/Coaches would be a cost effective solution? 

I guess the Board will look for a caretaker to see the season out whilst keeping the Club in Division 1, good luck with that and finding an acceptable candidate willing to accept those terms with a view to having a chance of a permanent position. Skelton and Burchill possibles?

1 hour ago, car number 7 said:

Probably right about Tiff taken over,if it's not that would love to see Mark Burchill given the job,very unfairly treated by Livi and talks well.

He spent too many games saying how this would be the one that we win and send us on a run to survival etc. Inevitably we'd lose and that would repeat, when he focused on actually winning games rather than just talking about them we went on a brilliant run, pretty sure only Hibs beat us in the run in and we were unlucky to only draw against Rangers. 

Think he'd be a decent appointment but don't think he's bothered about getting back into it, either that or he's been shite in interviews. 

I'd be more surprised if he wasn't Stranraer manager on Saturday than I would be if he was still our assistant.

:( I thought we were supposed to be friends...well friends where the bigger one got all the smaller ones good toys. We didn't give you Willie Gibson back for this.

Spoiler

Give us Aggy again and all will be forgiven

Think he's going this time Mattmc,watch out tonight.

So I'm hearing.

No objections to this. He seemed to be well liked in the dressing room last time round and very keen on having players well drilled.
A bit more optimistic about staying up if he does come in.
Would also have to praise the committee on their swift action if this is the case. Allows Stevie time to bring in a couple of additions if he wishes to do so.
33/1 for Stranraer to finish top four.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/318253/jimmy-calderwood-says-teams-played-like-pep-guardiolas-and-jurgen-klopps-20-years-ago/

I know he can talk a load of nonsense at times but any chance Jimmy Calderwood could be desperate enough to get back into management that he might be interested in the Stranraer job? Passionate about the game, favours attacking football and he is a bit of a character. Man with a point to prove never goes wrong and he would add a bit of colour (orange) to proceedings. Can see him being well received down here and would maybe create more interest in the club like Sanny McAnespie did a long time ago. 

Am being serious here - personally I think we should advertise the job and see who applies rather than dive in too quickly again. Yes I know the transfer window is closing soon but we can't afford to be stuck with another bad appointment either just because we were left rushing about at the last minute. Lot of good managers out there looking for a route back into the game. In saying that Stevie Farroll would  be a decent shout - not as keen on the Chris Aitken idea. If we were promoting from within get the feeling Stevie Bell may be good but probably too early and won't have badges. Not sure this insistence on coaching badges is really giving our game better folk in charge of our clubs.         

On 18/01/2017 at 09:11, The Moonster said:

So, first you steal Nade from us and do your best to ruin him, then send us a donkey in Pettigrew (who we had the decency to send back to you) and now you apparently want big Faz for the managers gig?  Starting to really not like you boys.

Think your wired to the moon.

So, first you steal Nade from us and do your best to ruin him, then send us a donkey in Pettigrew (who we had the decency to send back to you) and now you apparently want big Faz for the managers gig?  Starting to really not like you boys.

You lot told us James McKinstry was good.

Archived