Kenny MacAskill

Mr Bairn

So the SNP think gaining more powers for Holyrood is more important than punishing mass murderers.

Hmm.....

I'm on the wind up so let's start again.

The Scottish legal system recognises there are a number of principles more important than punishing mass murderers. One of these is compassion for dying prisoners.

Prisoner exchanges are another common feature found around the globe in which states take a pragmatic view as to the interests of that State versus the principle of "punishment".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but surely the crux of this is that there is a suggestion that ministers at both Westminster and Holyrood were less than honest about the circumstances surrounding the release of al-Megrahi.

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but surely the crux of this is that there is a suggestion that ministers at both Westminster and Holyrood were less than honest about the circumstances surrounding the release of al-Megrahi.

I was never convinced that al-Megrahi was guilty.

Well no one should be surprised at Labour being "less than honest" but the cuddly SNP?

I was never convinced that al-Megrahi was guilty.

Completely different argument. His guilt being in doubt wasn't a factor in this. He could have been literally caught red handed and he would've still been released by the SNP

Mike Huckabee literally released a serial rapist and murderer when he became governor of Arkansas for no reason at all other than to spite Bill Clinton. Said ex-con went on to rape and murder again. Huckabee has been a serious candidate for President of the United States of America on two occasions since.

Meanwhile, the Lib Dems heroically went into Westminster to get nicer cars hold the Evil Tories In Check, and were punished by subsequent electoral oblivion, never, ever to be trusted by the public ever again except in the Orkneys and Shetlands, where they still campaign on supporting Prime Minister Churchill during these difficult times of war.

Karma.

I'm pretty sure Kenny thinks that as well.

Utterly irrelevant what anybody thought about his guilt, unless government ministers now get to decide who is guilty and who isn't.

Not that this is really news. The fact the man lived for three years when he was allegedly on his death bed showed long ago it wasn't about compassionate grounds. Not really about the SNP or Tony Blair, but a timely reminder that ALL politicians are self-serving c***s. It isn't good guys v bad guys as some on here seem to think, they'll do absolutely anything to advance their own position. 

I'm on the wind up so let's start again.

The Scottish legal system recognises there are a number of principles more important than punishing mass murderers. One of these is compassion for dying prisoners.

This isn't a legal exercise. Its a political one.

Peter Tobin will never be released from prison even were every organ to be riddled with cancer and his prognosis to be a week left to live.

Because there's no political capital to he made from the decision. In fact, the opposite.

The release of All Megrahi had absolutely nothing to do with compassion. The Scottish government have turned down many similar appeals, despite medical reasons to do so for a 'compassionate' reason.

Peter Tobin will never be released from prison even were every organ to be riddled with cancer and his prognosis to be a week left to live.

Because there's no political capital to he made from the decision. In fact, the opposite.

The release of All Megrahi had absolutely nothing to do with compassion. The Scottish government have turned down many similar appeals, despite medical reasons to do so for a 'compassionate' reason.

I think that this is about the size of it.

I don't think that we should accuse Westminster and the media etc.... of manipulation and dodgy agendas but willfully lap up the same strategies because they are delivered by people we (some of us) support.

It was always very clear that the factors in Al-Megrahi's release were political and not in the slightest, humanitarian.

Of course

i'm just making the point that the system recognises "punishment" is not always the over riding consideration.This is correct on a number of levels.

No, but it's just a bit disingenuous to use the 'we're all about compassion' card in relation to this. When that's just a convenient excuse.

I'm a bit bemused by Salmonds spokesperson claiming something completely different to the MacAskill claim, then ending the statement by claiming MacAskill s account backs this up.

Whats the story?

Westminster at the bequest of big money puts pressure on then relatively new minority Scottish govt to release Megrahi.

Scottish govt under pressure uses lawful process to release Megrahi.

Westmimster govt having secured conditions for big money deals, thereafter joins in the worldwide criticism of Scottish govts decision to release a convicted terrorist.

Perfidious Albion in action.

Archived