French Open Tennis 2016

lichtie23

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a very real chance of Wawrinka overtaking Murray in the Slams total.  Something I never thought I'd type.

Some boi Murray. Fair play to Gasquet. Played very well on the big points in the first two sets. I almost wish he that wee bit more confidence in him. He should be one of the top players in the world with that backhand.

There's a very real chance of Wawrinka overtaking Murray in the Slams total. Something I never thought I'd type.

That would be sickening, tbh.

Wawrinka is the most powerful player on the tour.  His strength is incredible.  Even in really blustery conditions against the wind he can still hit through the court.  He also is a big match player.  He rarely under performs in matches when he gets that far.  The same can't be said for Murray.  Murray has under performed in several of his grand slam finals and semi finals.  Murray elects for accuracy over power, while Wawrinka just continually brutalises the ball off both wings.  Wawrinka hasn't lost a final under Magnus Norman stretching back to before his maiden slam win.

If Wawrinka gets one more Slam than Murray then it will not matter, as everyone will still say Murray is a better player because of his consistency.  He made his 19th Slam semi final today.  Putting him 8th in the all time list.  If Wawrinka was to get four and Murray finished on two, you would then have a debate.

It's only very recently that Slam counts started to matter.  Mainly in the era of Sampras.  Players used to skip Slams all the time until they were made compulsory in the late 90s.  Sampras has 14 slams and never in a million years would you say he was better than Rafa (14), Borg (11), Emerson (12) , Laver* (11) or Djokovic.

*Laver actually has 20 slams.  11 traditional slams and 9 professional slams that everyone forgets about.

Why is Wawrinka so powerful out of interest? He's not exactly built like a tank. Well, you don't get that impression of him on the TV anyway.

There's a very real chance of Wawrinka overtaking Murray in the Slams total.  Something I never thought I'd type.

Why, Stan is unstoppable in full flow.

Why is Wawrinka so powerful out of interest? He's not exactly built like a tank. Well, you don't get that impression of him on the TV anyway.

He certainly is visibly bigger in body.  The only one close to him in terms of power is Berdych, and he has lost his raw power in recent years as he looked to become more consistent.  I would also say that the likes of Murray and Djokovic elect for precision than power, Stan has always just battered the ball.

There is something great about Stan red lining against a member of the big four.

Why, Stan is unstoppable in full flow.

Yeah in the last 2 years he has been.  He was an absolute fucking nobody before January 2014 and joining up with Magnus Norman.

I had him filed with the Fernando Verdasco's and Richard Gasquet's; A grand slam semi final once every 5 years maybe if he got a good draw.

Yeah in the last 2 years he has been.  He was an absolute fucking nobody before January 2014 and joining up with Magnus Norman.

I had him filed with the Fernando Verdasco's and Richard Gasquet's; A grand slam semi final once every 5 years maybe if he got a good draw.

Wasn't so much a nobody as a choker IMHO.

Also appears to be a bit disinterested in run of the mill tournaments going by his shocking record in recent years of giving up break leads in sets.

Roger Federer is missing due to a back injury currently. He is due back in the grass season to play Halle.

Going into Wimbledon though Murray might just sneak second seed. They were neck in neck a few weeks ago, but Murray is now almost 2000 points ahead of him. With the grass court points to be added for Wimbledon seedings, he will probably have enough to hold on to second seeds.

Nadal will probably miss the full grass season now as he's allergic to grass nowadays. I doubt his ego could take another loss to a nobody on grass.

Archived