French Open Tennis 2016

lichtie23

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isner isn't that bad. He's just not got anywhere close to a game to beat the top bois. Who can read his serve about 10 minutes before he hits the ball.

Murray has papped Gasquet twice before at the French Open and he's a notorious choker. Good news, imo, as Nishikori had the potential to be more of a threat. Murray probably would have beaten him anyway, though.

Hopefully he wins it in three again.

Gasquet will be up for it but think murray would rather be up against him than nishikori. Wawrinka to get knocked out next and Murray to progress to the final where he comes up against Novak would be a cracking final again.

Murray has papped Gasquet twice before at the French Open and he's a notorious choker. Good news, imo, as Nishikori had the potential to be more of a threat. Murray probably would have beaten him anyway, though.

Hopefully he wins it in three again.

I would prefer Murray to play Nishikori every single time.  Nishikori shites himself every time he has to take a second serve when Murray is already waiting inside the baseline.  The head to head seems a bit lopsided at 7-3 in Murray's favour against Gasquet but there has been four incredibly close matches in there that Murray sneaked.

Currently Gasquet is playing extremely well.  Although Wawrinka gets all the plaudits for his one handed back hand, I think Gasquet's is better.  Has more purpose and get's better angles, although Gasquet doesn't bludgeon the ball with Wawrinka's stunning power.

Murray should prevail in no more than four sets.  

Am I correct in saying that Gasquet has a similar style of play to Wawrinka? Should be a good test before playing him, providing both progress, obviously.

Am I correct in saying that Gasquet has a similar style of play to Wawrinka? Should be a good test before playing him, providing both progress, obviously.

They both use a one handed backhand, but the similarities end there.  Wawrinka is a power based player looking to finish the point as early as possible.  Gasquet will move his opponent about more looking to extract errors more often than Wawrinka.

It's probably a good thing that he plays Gasquet immediately before a possible encounter with Wawrinka.  Although Ramos-Vinolas is playing very well and depending on what Stan turns up it might not be as straight forward as people make out.

Archived