Ayr United, What now 2016/17

£1.1m a year would allow for a squad of 20 players each on £1000 a week, taking into account win bonuses etc.

I don't imagine they'll be too many players in this league, Hibs aside, on £1000 per week never-mind a squad of 20!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DanielB said:

£1.1m a year would allow for a squad of 20 players each on £1000 a week, taking into account win bonuses etc.

I don't imagine they'll be too many players in this league, Hibs aside, on £1000 per week never-mind a squad of 20!

Need to allow for coaching staff off of that and obviously under 20's etc.  No disputing the total though it comes from their audited accounts.

i wouldn't expect ours is any higher than 500k a year and that's me being very generous.

2 hours ago, Hazbart said:

Need to allow for coaching staff off of that and obviously under 20's etc.  No disputing the total though it comes from their audited accounts.

i wouldn't expect ours is any higher than 500k a year and that's me being very generous.

Our youth academy coaches and playing staff wages come out on the Ayr United Football Academy's budget, so the club don't pay anything towards them, unless 20s players like McGuffie sign a pro contract.

This is all like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

We needed to go full time this season to stay up!

We need to stay up to go full time!

Catch 22

The players need to give everything they have for Ayr to stay up this season.

Just don't see them doing it. What's their motivation?

Not saying anything that hasn't been said before, but there needs to be a big effort to get more people in the gates, which in turn will make full-time football a more feasible business model. This is going to take a lot more than a poster on the door of Cafe Ginger and a blinding advert on the electronic screen on Whitletts Road. Can we not have a wee table set up in Ayr Central with a ticket offer for the next home game? Why not have schoolkids hitting penalties at half-time, with a different school being invited each game? This would encourage children and parents/family members, potentially adding 50 or so onto the gate each time. Chances are some of them will be tempted back. When I was younger, every boys club player in the league was given a free Ayr season ticket. Is that not something we could look at again?

The current matchday experience is absolutely dreadful, those that attend are doing so out of blind loyalty. With the crowds that we currently get, full-time football, and you could say a sustained period playing at Championship level, are a difficult ask.

Added to that, think about people who want to come to Somerset by car. The car park at Somerset is absolutely disgraceful, bigger craters than the moon which seem to be permanently full of water. I know we're on a limited budget and things like that cost money, but it is clear that the club lack the ability to look at the overall matchday experience through the eyes of potential fans.

On 13/03/2017 at 08:45, callum-ayr said:

:lol:

Have a word. Their budget this year was severely slashed and have been close to Admin this year from what I've heard from a friend who's a journalist. The fact they didn't have a proper striker until January suggests their wage budget is very low. The reason their doing well is because Duffy seems to be semi competent.

We're no where near admin. Running at a loss but our owner will never put us into admin for as long as he's with us. We might've hit difficulty had we failed to get out of league 1 at the first time of asking but we managed it. Increased prize money last season plus higher home attendances; cup runs; game on Sky was a lot of income for us. This season we'll have probably made over a million from the league cup run and the away tie at Ibrox on TV. I have no worries about financial difficulty right now and expect us to announce a profit next season. Having spoken to a couple of players that Morton tried to sign of the past year or so we are paying roughly 450 a week basic rising to 600 or so with win and appearance bonuses. 

Not saying anything that hasn't been said before, but there needs to be a big effort to get more people in the gates, which in turn will make full-time football a more feasible business model. This is going to take a lot more than a poster on the door of Cafe Ginger and a blinding advert on the electronic screen on Whitletts Road. Can we not have a wee table set up in Ayr Central with a ticket offer for the next home game? Why not have schoolkids hitting penalties at half-time, with a different school being invited each game? This would encourage children and parents/family members, potentially adding 50 or so onto the gate each time. Chances are some of them will be tempted back. When I was younger, every boys club player in the league was given a free Ayr season ticket. Is that not something we could look at again?
The current matchday experience is absolutely dreadful, those that attend are doing so out of blind loyalty. With the crowds that we currently get, full-time football, and you could say a sustained period playing at Championship level, are a difficult ask.

Lots of fans criticising McCall but we are where we are because of the owner. Hamilton, Inverness, Ross county and St Johnstone are all well run clubs with similar or worse support than us and are established premiership clubs.

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Our average attendance this season is nearly twice that of Dumbarton, bigger than Queen of the South and less than 100 short of Morton who are having a great season.

They could be better, but thats three other clubs there who seem to manage regular Championship football and/or full time football on worse or similar crowds. Fair enough Morton are a bit different as they've got someone pumping money into them.

Where does our money go? Are we still paying heavily for the Bill Barr era? The running costs of the stadium seem to come up a lot, but surely it doesn't cost that much more to maintain than the likes of Palmerston and Cappielow? Would be interesting to know how much money we put into the stadium every season compared to other clubs.

QOS rent out the astro at Palmerston. Which brings in additional income.

im pretty sure they also got a grant from D&G council to install it.

If you want us to compete and go full time then perhaps we should turn our rage to the enigma that's our commercial manager.

Maybe if 40% of the trackside advertising boards weren't empty we would be able to increase the playing budget.

Were a joke of a club ....time for us fans to get together and make our feelings clear what we want for our club ....no point on all the fans moaning on here everyday ....saying that if we were sitting in Dumbartons league posistion everybody would be wanting to build a ian mcall statue in the car park

21 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Were a joke of a club ....time for us fans to get together and make our feelings clear what we want for our club ....no point on all the fans moaning on here everyday ....saying that if we were sitting in Dumbartons league posistion everybody would be wanting to build a ian mcall statue in the car park

We couldn't anyway, we don't own it.

59 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

QOS rent out the astro at Palmerston. Which brings in additional income.

im pretty sure they also got a grant from D&G council to install it.

If you want us to compete and go full time then perhaps we should turn our rage to the enigma that's our commercial manager.

Maybe if 40% of the trackside advertising boards weren't empty we would be able to increase the playing budget.

That would then free up Belmont for the community, if United moved all their associated clubs to Somerset.

1 minute ago, Beastie Russell said:

That would then free up Belmont for the community, if United moved all their associated clubs to Somerset.

I'm sure they pay the hire fee just the same as any other groups in the community.

I'm sure they pay the hire fee just the same as any other groups in the community.

We were also given preferential treatment and allowed to block book most evenings, while other local clubs were turfed out IIRC. There was an outcry about it a few years ago.

If we stay up (IF), i get the feeling one of McCall's wishes will be to get an AstroTurf installed at Somerset for 1 of 2 reasons: A: We seem to play slightly better on an artificial surface. B: It would bring us in a lot of extra finance with us obviously being able to rent it out.

The main issue with a 4G pitch is financing it, they cost something crazy like £500,000. We simply don't have that sort of money, while I don't imagine our credit rating will be fantastic if we were looking for the bank to finance it with a view of repayment using cash earned while renting it out.

Only viable option would be some form of grant, although I know SAC have never seemed interested in helping us before. What about the lottery/sportscotland?

Archived