Ayr United, What now 2016/17

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Just about everyone had an abortion today. AU Media still sort Murph out with his freebie MOTM though.

It was always going to be a long season this year just didnt think we were in reality so far behind crap teams like Raith.

Whats the record low points total?

Please tell me that's number 6 for MotM. Hilarious when Vaughan chased him down so much, he didn't even punt it out for a throw, he just smashed it out for a corner. 

Crap like us still have retained the core of a team which was organised by McKinnon. We've got a few veterans who've played season after season at either this level or higher. We've got a solid crop of ex-youth players who are becoming regulars like Matthews, Vaughan and Callachan.  Even though Vaughan's only 20, he has more experience at this level than the majority of your team. As bad as the Locke situation could go, I'd be utterly despondent if we finish up anywhere near an Ayr team who have names which don't exactly strike fear into any team in this league. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rw89 said:

Please tell me that's number 6 for MotM. Hilarious when Vaughan chased him down so much, he didn't even punt it out for a throw, he just smashed it out for a corner. 

Crap like us still have retained the core of a team which was organised by McKinnon. We've got a few veterans who've played season after season at either this level or higher. We've got a solid crop of ex-youth players who are becoming regulars like Matthews, Vaughan and Callachan.  Even though Vaughan's only 20, he has more experience at this level than the majority of your team. As bad as the Locke situation could go, I'd be utterly despondent if we finish up anywhere near an Ayr team who have names which don't exactly strike fear into any team in this league. 

Aye no6 was Murphy. The AU Media guys have a bit of a hard-on for him and Gilmour so not surprised really. 

People complaining about McCall not having signed enough players will be the first to criticise when signings turn out to be shit or just not good enough for this level.

I'm guessing a little but if suggest that signing players at this level isn't particularly easy as those with ability will be waiting for the best offers they can get. This is real life remember, not championship manager.

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

People complaining about McCall not having signed enough players will be the first to criticise when signings turn out to be shit or just not good enough for this level.

I'm guessing a little but if suggest that signing players at this level isn't particularly easy as those with ability will be waiting for the best offers they can get. This is real life remember, not championship manager.

I just equate "the best part time players" with "the shit the rest don't want", no idea if my equation is accurate but as yet it's certainly not been shown to be inaccurate.

Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton and QoS have all managed to come up to this league and avoid going straight back down with part time squads in recent years. It's not like it's unthinkable to build a squad that can compete at this level on our budget.

5 minutes ago, Iain said:

Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton and QoS have all managed to come up to this league and avoid going straight back down with part time squads in recent years. It's not like it's unthinkable to build a squad that can compete at this level on our budget.

Aye but we've started with last seasons squad players.

Out muscled and out foxed by a better team, thing is we can get better. Need to be tougher and quicker to compete.

Quite happy we missed out on McMannus and hear it's imminent on the Harkins deal.  Thomas & O'Connell deary me!!!

I just equate "the best part time players" with "the shit the rest don't want", no idea if my equation is accurate but as yet it's certainly not been shown to be inaccurate.

Your equation isn't accurate - but building a good enough p-t squad which can compete isn't easy.

As has been pointed out it's been done plenty before but we need to show a bit of patience.

32 minutes ago, Honestmen said:

Was including the Edinburgh City game too. Hope I'm wrong and they both shine.

I didn't make that game. McCall says he hopes to have one in for Wednesday (whom he hoped to have in yesterday) Doubtful it'll happen in time to be honest. 

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Your equation isn't accurate - but building a good enough p-t squad which can compete isn't easy.

As has been pointed out it's been done plenty before but we need to show a bit of patience.

I'm not saying it's easy but we started yesterday with players that quite simply weren't/were barely good enough for League One last season let alone adequate for the big step up.

The only positive from yesterday is that we can't get any worse. That's probably the weakest XI we'll put out this season and I hope McCall realises that we're well short at the moment.

If the McMillan chat is true then where does he play?

4 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

The only positive from yesterday is that we can't get any worse. That's probably the weakest XI we'll put out this season and I hope McCall realises that we're well short at the moment.

If the McMillan chat is true then where does he play?

Right-Back or Centre-Back by all accounts but McCall might be going to try and use him in midfield perhaps.

We'd definitely be sorted defensively if we got McMillan in as we would then have Meggatt, Murphy, Rose and McMillan all as Cb's, and also a back up for Devlin on the right.

The title of this thread says it all, what now? 

Yesterdays game was a shambles apart from a few nice moves which generally involved Forrest. Our two centre backs invited pressure all game and looked way out of their depth, Meggat in particular gave the ball away on numerous occasions. Murphy was slower than a week in the jail and if he wasn't getting turned inside out then he was putting the ball into touch. It's also the worst I've ever seen Boyle play, he played far too narrow and don't start me on that second goal.

The midfield was non existent with Crawford returning to his poor lightweight form and Adams being as slow and clumsy as ever. Docherty hasn't his the peaks seen last season and essentially played like a crab, passing the ball sideways or backwards. On the upside I would say Cairney has lost some weight (still some to go) and Forrest looked sharp and linked up well going forward (that miss tho Christ). Everyone has said it, we need signings and we need them fast.

My thoughts on yesterday were that the midfield were a shambles, Crawford wide right, how many times has he been put there and been terrible? always plays his best in the middle

Donald is quick and will run all day, if he can't beat the opposing full back on his first 2-3 attempts then he is an empty jersey, spends his game knocking the ball off of defenders shins then chasing back. McGuffie looked far better when he came on but maybe doesn't offer Boyle the same protection.

Adams, spent most of the game further up the park and wasn't involved in much

Doc, spent the second half almost further back than the center halfs, think he was there to take the ball from Meggat to stop him giving it away and did the exact same.

We defended ok considering the possession we had, it was once we had the ball we couldn't clear it, too busy trying and failing to play football from the back was causing us problems, the majority of passes out of defense were cut out and put us under pressure again, Bringing O'Connell on earlier and getting the center halfs to smash it in his general direction might have put a plaster our poor midfield and passing issues. 

Forrest did well, but collected the ball wide right a lot of the times meaning there was no one in the middle, I would play him every week but we need someone in the middle for him to aim at, Raith looked a shambles at the back and we needed to put more pressure on, but playing with two ineffective wide players and no recognized striker for the first 75min didn't help.

Yes and in real life players need a pre season and match fitness and whom ever we're signing now won't have them

With McMillan brought in you could potentially play 3 at the back with Devlin and Boyle as wing backs. At the moment there is no speed in the centre of defence and it was shown yesterday as Murphy and Meggat struggled with the pace of Vaughn and McManus. Hopefully McMillan can bring a bit of pace and it might take a bit of pressure of the other two. Make no mistake Murphy is still a cracking centre half but requires a forward such as Moore to actually keep the ball when he plays it out. Yesterday he was spraying passes out but because Forrest couldn't beat big M'Voto physically the ball was coming straight back and Murphy was out of position. I still don't understand how AU media could praise him yesterday as I thought Forrest was miles ahead of any of our players.

Archived