Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

5 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Wlad wasn't at the top of his game til after he lost these fights. He had to adjust his whole style as a result of those losses.

He certainly wasn't at the top of his game against Fury or Joshua, he did manage 6 World Title defences before Sanders stopped him.

Edited by ayrmad

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

He certainly wasn't at the top of his game against Fury or Joshua.

In what way was he not at the top of his game against Fury? He was a unified world champion who hadn't be beaten in a decade. Fury boxing phenomenally in that fight doesn't change this.

A fit prepared Tyson Fury would have boxed absolute rings around Frank Bruno, and with his size and reach advantage and quality of movement, may well have beaten Lewis also, although that's one I'd have loved to see.

10 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

In what way was he not at the top of his game against Fury? He was a unified world champion who hadn't be beaten in a decade. Fury boxing phenomenally in that fight doesn't change this.

A fit prepared Tyson Fury would have boxed absolute rings around Frank Bruno, and with his size and reach advantage and quality of movement, may well have beaten Lewis also, although that's one I'd have loved to see.

Because he was an old man, he hadn't been beaten in a decade fighting lesser opponents.

I hardly think a one inch reach advantage would give Fury much solace against the best jabber modern day heavyweight boxing has witnessed, if Chisora can give him something to think about I'm sure Lewis would have stopped him no problem.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Because he was an old man, he hadn't been beaten in a decade fighting lesser opponents.

I hardly think a one inch reach advantage would give Fury much solace against the best jabber modern day heavyweight boxing has witnessed, if Chisora can give him something to think about I'm sure Lewis would have stopped him no problem.

Chisora gave him no problems whatsoever in either fight.

Lewis was 6'5" with an 84" reach, Fury is 6'9" with an 85" reach, that extra height would be significant, especially with Fury's footwork being so good. Not saying that Fury definitely would beat Lewis, but let's not pretend he'd have no chance and that the elite in the current crop of heavyweights (Fury and Joshua) are total bums/jobbers and that the 1990's/early 00's crop were light years ahead. Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

29 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Chisora gave him no problems whatsoever in either fight.

Lewis was 6'5" with an 84" reach, Fury is 6'9" with an 85" reach, that extra height would be significant, especially with Fury's footwork being so good. Not saying that Fury definitely would beat Lewis, but let's not pretend he'd have no chance and that the elite in the current crop of heavyweights (Fury and Joshua) are total bums/jobbers and that the 1990's/early 00's crop were light years ahead. Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

Did you see how significant that extra height was when Lewis fought Vitali, 60 stitches worth, he would have had no face left if it had went the distance.

Lewis reigned supreme over a not so great era, the division has been rubbish since.

Hopefully the boy Dubois comes up and shows them all what a proper heavyweight boxer is.

Fury and Joshua should have no problem keeping Dubois at bay if they're any good and he reaches those heights as they have 7 and 4 inch reach advantage.

Edited by ayrmad

Hopefully the boy Dubois comes up and shows them all what a proper heavyweight boxer is.

Do you think Dubois will develop to go on to challenge Joshua? I’m not sure I’ve seen enough of Dubois but I hope he does.

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Do you think Dubois will develop to go on to challenge Joshua? I’m not sure I’ve seen enough of Dubois but I hope he does.

I don't know but I saw enough to think he could sweep the board.

Frank Warren said he's waited 37 years for a boxer like Dubois, when you see his list of previous boxers he must think he's the real deal not just good enough to scrape a belt.

I don't know but I saw enough to think he could sweep the board.
Frank Warren said he's waited 37 years for a boxer like Dubois, when you see his list of previous boxers he must think he's the real deal not just good enough to scrape a belt.

I see he’s fighting Dorian Darch on the Dec 9th card. Hopefully cleans him out early and can look at as a bit more of a statement. Joshua went through Darch within 2 in his 4th fight, 3 years back.

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

I see he’s fighting Dorian Darch on the Dec 9th card. Hopefully cleans him out early and can look at as a bit more of a statement. Joshua went through Darch within 2 in his 4th fight, 3 years back.

Warren will be hoping he can breeze through a dozen fights in a short space of time so he can get to Joshua before Joshua' weaknesses are exposed by someone else IMO.

Warren will be hoping he can breeze through a dozen fights in a short space of time so he can get to Joshua before Joshua' weaknesses are exposed by someone else IMO.

Agreed. If I was Warren, who obviously has faith in Dubois, I’d be trying to move him up as quickly as possible. I’m not sure I share the same faith though.
Seen stories when I googled Dubois to see who he’s fighting next and seen stories he dropped AJ in sparring...

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Agreed. If I was Warren, who obviously has faith in Dubois, I’d be trying to move him up as quickly as possible. I’m not sure I share the same faith though.
Seen stories when I googled Dubois to see who he’s fighting next and seen stories he dropped AJ in sparring...

They've not been denied as far as I know, here's a recent piece from Warren.

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Sport/2017-10-31/daniel_dubois_the_man_to_beat_anthony_joshua.html

Edited by ayrmad

I've seen a lot of fucking laughable statements in this thread over the years, but this is up there.

Who exactly did Frank Bruno beat that was in the same stratosphere as Wladimir Klitschko (who both Fury and Joshua beat)? Oliver McCall is the best win on Bruno's resume.

We're talking about the all round jobbers today, not Klitchko.

The most laughable statement in thia thread over the years is the one where someone said that Fury would give Lewis a fight [emoji23].

On 10/20/2017 at 22:18, Fisherman said:

It's actually been very decent. Joyce looks a proper talent. Enjoyed the MVP fight earlier aswell, his opponent was terrible though.

On 10/20/2017 at 22:22, NorthernJambo said:

It’s been dog shit mate. Lewison is about 3 stone too heavy. Joyce looks tidy enough but nothing exciting.
MVP was entertaining but as you say not sure how he’d go against an actual opponent.

Bit of a bump but this had passed me by at the time. Says he wants to try an get another bout before the end of the year. How do you describe that style? He's like a giant, drunk Andrew Selby. 

Bit of a bump but this had passed me by at the time. Says he wants to try an get another bout before the end of the year. How do you describe that style? He's like a giant, drunk Andrew Selby. 

MVP is scheduled to fight on the Bellew Haye rematch undercard, so should be out again this year. Very much so, my first though thought was like a drunk prince naseem. Who’d have thought it’d be possible to be flashier than Eubank. Suspect it will reduce as he progresses though.

19 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

MVP is scheduled to fight on the Bellew Haye rematch undercard, so should be out again this year. Very much so, my first though thought was like a drunk prince naseem. Who’d have thought it’d be possible to be flashier than Eubank. Suspect it will reduce as he progresses though.

The Prince Naseem comparison is a good shout.  Loved some of the moves - more sword fighting than boxing. Plan on trying out a couple though likely do myself an injury. 

The Prince Naseem comparison is a good shout.  Loved some of the moves - more sword fighting than boxing. Plan on trying out a couple though likely do myself an injury. 

Yes, I plan on dropping my hands and wobbling the knees next time I’m sparring with my mates. I do expect to end up knocked out but will be a laugh.