Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Had more fights than Froch from 2008 to 2013 inc.

2 fights a year at the top level is enough for anyone IMO.

That era was dominated by floyd and Pacquiao though.

Even then he'd one fight in 2012 and one in 2013. That's not enough. Whilst he's beaten every top level boxer he's faced he has also faced a lot of second rate fighters and for the length of time he's been boxing should have a bigger list of high profile victims.

16 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

That era was dominated by floyd and Pacquiao though.

Even then he'd one fight in 2012 and one in 2013. That's not enough. Whilst he's beaten every top level boxer he's faced he has also faced a lot of second rate fighters and for the length of time he's been boxing should have a bigger list of high profile victims.

He also had more fights than both of them between 2008 and 2013inc.

Edited by ayrmad

I've not checked boxrec but I'm pretty sure the standard of their opponents would have been of a higher standard and higher profile. - cotto, Marquez, Moseley, Alvarez and margarito etc. They'd also already made their names by then. Whereas Ward made his name in that era- that's his best work- Froch, Kessler and Abraham but there was too little and too frequent during the peak of his career.

They two had earned the right to chill out and only take on big fights. Ward hadn't.

Anyone that goes in the ring earns the right to do as they please, Ward has done a great job of winning and defending titles and earning cash without getting his brain scrambled. 

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I cant believe anyone is arguing the case for Wards activity levels. The guys ability is absolutely beyond reproach, he is brilliant, but theres no doubt whatsoever that he has pretty much wasted his prime years and only now, years after the super six is he getting in about the real relevant fights. The ghost of Chad Dawson is about the only decent name Ward can claim in the last 4 or 5 years.

What about Froch and Abraham?

Hopefully he prolongs the rest of his life by "wasting his prime years".

Edited by ayrmad

Al stick my neck out and say I think kovalev will win , no reason why other than that's the outcome I would like. Also wards activity level was a joke , for someone who should and could have been regarded as one of the best boxers of his generation his 1 fight a year has screwed that up totally. It's good to see that he's fighting more lately but in terms of how he's remember it could be too little too late.

Anyone that goes in the ring earns the right to do as they please, Ward has done a great job of winning and defending titles and earning cash without getting his brain scrambled. 

Aye he can do as he pleases in terms of how often he fights but he's not earned the right to be classed as the best of his generation. Simple as that.

How do the casual fans on P&B see the Ward v Kovalev fight going? Seen a lot of people saying its a genuine 50/50, is anyone willing to make a prediction? 

Theres really no point in me saying because it would be a guess.

Kovalev will need to land on ward and I don't think he will land enough to win.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Honestly, if you are a boxing fan and you are happy with Wards activity levels because it may prolong his life I sense you are in the wrong game.

Didnt I say since the super six?

I witness the long term effects of boxing on a regular basis, I'm more for boxers making as much as they can while sustaining as little damage as possible.

As for Ward's activity levels, unlike most top level boxers who fight a decent opponent every 2nd or 3rd fight Ward and the rest of the Super Sixers undertook 4 or 5 top level bouts in a couple of years with very little rest in between, perhaps that format(as great as it is for the veiwing public) is too tough on top level boxers.

Mikkel Kessler 4 fights since.

Carl Froch 5 fights since.

Andre Ward 5 fights since.

Arthur Abraham 15 fights since.

Andre Dirrell 7 fights since.

Jermaine Taylor 5 fights since.

Alan Green 5 fights since.

Glen Johnson 9 fights since.

Not exactly much activity from most of them although father time has played his part.

Edited by ayrmad

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Most of those guys have retired though.

As for your previous post, I am a fan of boxing, I like to see the best fight the best. I dont care how much money they make. For the most part the business side of boxing is downright unsavoury and at times can barely call itself a sport.

Ward has made it clear a few times he doesnt want to fight on to be an old man and thats fine. As long as it is reflected in his rating and legacy. He is a man who had the talent to rule the boxing world. If you look at the two or three years post Ward v Froch without knowing the result, you would swear Froch was the winner of that fight, because Froch went on to win some big fights and make some huge coin while Ward sat back and thought the world should come to him.

No, the downright unsavoury side of boxing is the lack of coverage of brain injuries in boxing, it's laughable that nobodies like us can question boxers never mind pro boxers never mind world class pro boxers.

One of our world renowned amateurs of yesteryear would tell you that pro boxing is very tough, he's still quite rightly mentioned near the top of the list when Scottish and Olympic boxing is getting mentioned despite not going pro.

Edited by ayrmad

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Most of those guys have retired though.

As for your previous post, I am a fan of boxing, I like to see the best fight the best. I dont care how much money they make. For the most part the business side of boxing is downright unsavoury and at times can barely call itself a sport.

Ward has made it clear a few times he doesnt want to fight on to be an old man and thats fine. As long as it is reflected in his rating and legacy. He is a man who had the talent to rule the boxing world. If you look at the two or three years post Ward v Froch without knowing the result, you would swear Froch was the winner of that fight, because Froch went on to win some big fights and make some huge coin while Ward sat back and thought the world should come to him.

Ward will always be regarded as head and shoulders above Froch, doesn't matter who Froch beat or how easily he beat them Froch got a boxing lesson from Andre Ward.

No, the downright unsavoury side of boxing is the lack of coverage of brain injuries in boxing, it's laughable that nobodies like us can question boxers never mind pro boxers never mind world class pro boxers.

One of our world renowned amateurs of yesteryear would tell you that pro boxing is very tough, he's still quite rightly mentioned near the top of the list when Scottish and Olympic boxing is getting mentioned despite not going pro.

Everybody knows you get brain injuries in boxing- nobody forces anyone to box- people make their own decision to participate and weigh up the risks and consequences.

If ward wants to protect his brain then he is perfectly free to do so and nobody will criticise him. But he has without doubt harmed his legacy as a fighter. If you don't fight often then you don't take on all comers and prove it. He wasted his prime years in being able to establish himself as the main man.

You can't protect your health through inactivity and then claim to be some legendary warrior figure. The two are incompatible.

Just now, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Froch will get more respect because he put it all on the line and faced everybody he could.

Respect doesn't pay the bills or keep your brain working properly.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

These guys get paid money to put out a product. Thats the game they are in.

Yes, they get paid if they fight.

You are on a football forum so how can you say the public cant comment on sportsmen?

Don't remember saying you can't comment.

I have nothing but sympathy for anyone who doesnt leave the sport the same way they go into it

Not apparent in your posts,

And by all accounts the BBBoC etc are pretty good at fighter welfare.

The BBBoC don't give a fcuk about fighter welfare in the long term, Barry McGuigan set up the PBA in the 90's because the governing bodies didn't give a monkeys.

If you think that the actions of boxers are beyond reproach because they face risks and we have no right to pass our opinions on them then im ot sure what you are doing here

You can opine all day if you like as can I.

Again I never said respect paid bills or kept your health.
But placing most emphasis on health and bills doesn't earn you respect.
You can't do all 3. Depends wha one is more important to you.
Ward thinks health is most important(if that's why he's been so inactive- I've no idea if this is actually the case and he's been off the radar so long I can't remember)
Joshua thinks wealth.
Froch thinks respect.

I'm a boxing fan. I have most respect for those that sacrifice wealth and health for the hardest challenges.

10 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Everybody knows you get brain injuries in boxing- nobody forces anyone to box- people make their own decision to participate and weigh up the risks and consequences.

If ward wants to protect his brain then he is perfectly free to do so and nobody will criticise him. But he has without doubt harmed his legacy as a fighter. If you don't fight often then you don't take on all comers and prove it. He wasted his prime years in being able to establish himself as the main man.

You can't protect your health through inactivity and then claim to be some legendary warrior figure. The two are incompatible.

He can claim what he likes while he's got the zeros next to his name and it's his legacy to do with as he pleases.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Your line of thinking seems to be that boxers are entitled to follow the path of least resistance on the basis that they might get hurt and the fans can take it or leave it.

I dont accept that. Boxing is the only sport in the world where you can pick and choose your route without taking on all comers. That is an aspect of the sport I dont like.

The path of least resistance is my preferred option, fcuk the fans they'll not be wiping your arse or your chin in the years to come.

2 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Again I never said respect paid bills or kept your health.
But placing most emphasis on health and bills doesn't earn you respect.
You can't do all 3. Depends wha one is more important to you.
Ward thinks health is most important(if that's why he's been so inactive)
Joshua thinks wealth.
Froch thinks respect.

All 3 are entitled to choose their preferred route, I'll be quite pleased if they all end up healthy and wealthy.