Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Probably witnessing t he end of Pacquaio here

He should have put his feet up years ago, he’s got nothing to prove to anyone. Only upside is he’s not fighting a fit Errol Spence, who would have systematically tore Pacquiao to bits if they had fought, and not in a nice way. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

He should have put his feet up years ago, he’s got nothing to prove to anyone. Only upside is he’s not fighting a fit Errol Spence, who would have systematically tore Pacquiao to bits if they had fought, and not in a nice way. 

He had precious little for Ugas tonight, but Ugas workrate might allow the scores to be closer than they should be... Lucky enough to see Manny twice in the flesh. ATG fighter and ATG career so aye, a well earned retirement

Just now, Bairnardo said:

He had precious little for Ugas tonight, but Ugas workrate might allow the scores to be closer than they should be... Lucky enough to see Manny twice in the flesh. ATG fighter and ATG career so aye, a well earned retirement

I’ve never seen him in the flesh so I’m jealous of that. As much as he will go down as an all time great in the sport, the amount of charity work he has done for his country and people can’t be understated. He’s a god like figure in the Philippines and by all accounts an absolute diamond of a person.

Questions will always be asked wether he would have beaten FMJ if they fought when Pacquiao was closer to his prime, but even discounting that he has had a life and career that most could only dream of. I like seeing genuinely nice people achieve good things and he is most certainly a nice person.

There's no chance he could have beaten Floyd at any point. He was out boxed by Marquez who wasn't near the level of FMJ and struggled against counter punchers losing to Bradley as well. Floyd's skills and reach advantage would always have been too much for him.

He was absolutely electric in the period where he fought Hatton, Cotto and Margarito which were all unreal performances. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

There's no chance he could have beaten Floyd at any point. He was out boxed by Marquez who wasn't near the level of FMJ and struggled against counter punchers losing to Bradley as well. Floyd's skills and reach advantage would always have been too much for him.

He was absolutely electric in the period where he fought Hatton, Cotto and Margarito which were all unreal performances. 

To be fair I don’t think he would have beat Mayweather either, but was it not well publicised that Mayweather only agreed to the fight a couple of years after most people thought Pacquioa was past his best? 

12 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

To be fair I don’t think he would have beat Mayweather either, but was it not well publicised that Mayweather only agreed to the fight a couple of years after most people thought Pacquioa was past his best? 

That is what people say but at time when it apparently 'should' have happened Manny got a mixed decision win over Marquez, beaten controversially by Bradley and sparked by Marquez. Manny struggling was the main reason the fight was delayed until 2015 (plus Floyd getting the jail in 2012). 

Manny was a great champion and his fights against Barrera, Morales and Marquez at lower weights are legendary but I don't think there is any point in his career where he would have troubled Mayweather. It's a terrible match up for him.

What’s the extent of Errol Spences eye injury? Seen a few people on Twitter saying he could be as good as finished because of it, but also seen some news reports on google saying it’s just a surgery he should recover from. 
Either way, he's going to be out of action for some time.

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

What’s the extent of Errol Spences eye injury? Seen a few people on Twitter saying he could be as good as finished because of it, but also seen some news reports on google saying it’s just a surgery he should recover from. 

Whatever the extent of it his people will keep it well under wraps. It's crazy he is back fighting after that crash anyway.

On 18/08/2021 at 10:06, Bairnardo said:

Having took a dive into the 4 kings era and in particular, the life and work of Roberto Duran, the man crush I now have on that man is borderline embarrassing. Thourougly recommend the documentary "I Am Duran".

I watched this last night. Very insightful into all the adjustments great fighters make.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Whatever the extent of it his people will keep it well under wraps. It's crazy he is back fighting after that crash anyway.

The footage of that crash is horrific, and it’s a miracle how he managed to recover from it and get back into the ring again. He doesn’t come across as the brightest guy I’ve ever seen and it’s alleged he mixes in some shady circles, but it would be a shame if he wasn’t able to box again. 

I hate Mayweather but have to appreciate his ability…. Thought he was given a couple of questionable wins Judah and Maidana ( first fight ) but whatever advantage anyone had over him he nullified it!! His defence is unrivalled may be boring but probably the best defensive fighter and counter puncher I’ve seen!!

Manny was unbelievable and has achieved some wonderful things but sadly he’d never have beaten Mayweather [emoji17]

I hate Mayweather but have to appreciate his ability…. Thought he was given a couple of questionable wins Judah and Maidana ( first fight ) but whatever advantage anyone had over him he nullified it!! His defence is unrivalled may be boring but probably the best defensive fighter and counter puncher I’ve seen!!

Manny was unbelievable and has achieved some wonderful things but sadly he’d never have beaten Mayweather [emoji17]
2009/10/11 Manny would have given it a hell of a go.

What we got was a total pantomine with Manny far enough removed from dangerous to make it a safe option.

Not just Floyd to blame though, both parties fucked that up not getting that fight until years after it was perfectly poised as one of the all time great fights is a very obvious stain on modern boxing. A textbook example to point at during the "whats wrong with modern boxing" conversations