Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Its nothing to do with that though is it? 

Team lacks quality? - Cesnauskis is their captain ffs. Having not watched any of the games, I would doubt many, if any, would get a game for a team in the Scottish Premiership
Needs investment? - I don't know Trakai's finances but would hazard a guess that it is, at best, similar to St Johnstone's.
Small club? - UEFA rank St Johnstone 215th, Trakai 404th. St Johnstone are officially a bigger club/team.

We (Scottish clubs) need to stop making piss poor excuses like that. We continuously get outplayed technically and out-thought tactically because managers and players dont adapt to suit European football. 

Correct on all counts.

Tommy's constant moaning about budgets is getting on my tits now. He's going on about a lack of players - he has something like 25 to choose from (once the younger lads are taken into account). It's not like it's someone else squad either - he's either signed or re-signed all the players we have. Also not the board's fault that we've got 3 players who would call themselves right wingers, and not one left winger in the squad and two absolute huddies up front who will never displace Steven Maclean.

He talked about signing 3 jewels this summer. The board delivered him Scougall and in time for Europe as he requested. It's ultimately Tommy's decision to sign Tanser (who is garbage) and the two young lads who won't come close to threatening the first team, as well as Watson and Coulson last summer who still have a year left on their contracts with no prospect of playing for us in the foreseeable future. If he's now told there's only enough money to sign one more player, or indeed no players, that's his fault.

I still think we'll probably have a semi decent season. Can't see us making Europe anytime soon but as long as we are 10th or better I'll be happy enough in all honesty. I dread the day when we're back in the lower divisions, it must be grim being a Falkirk or Dunfermline style fan languishing year upon year under the big boys.

This is fucking brilliant reading. Made my night. Of course it's all about budgets. He's been punching above his weight since he got the job. The quality players he inherited are getting older and it's nigh on impossible to replace them. You're losing half decent players to the Arabs. Once upon a time the stability at the club encouraged players to sign for you on poorer deals than they could get elsewhere but the treatment of the likes of Scobbie is starting to catch up. You've always said when this golden era ended you'd take it in good grace but you're all pointing the finger at your biggest asset.

You ungrateful b*****ds.

Fucking hell Spud, you can't have a go at us a week after making a multi paragraph post about how you feel "so excited" about this season being the season you'll finish above us.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Again, I didn't say that we've not. We signed Sutton in the middle of June. 

He also gave a year's contract extension to Dave Mackay in that short space of time between coming back from a hip injury, and having a recurrence of the hip injury. 

He also gave a year's contract extension to Dave Mackay in that short space of time between coming back from a hip injury, and having a recurrence of the hip injury. 

Did he not give Frazer a new contract before letting him go fairly quickly aswell?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Did he not give Frazer a new contract before letting him go fairly quickly aswell?

Yep - new contract in June, released in august. 

29 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

I still think we'll probably have a semi decent season. Can't see us making Europe anytime soon but as long as we are 10th or better I'll be happy enough in all honesty. I dread the day when we're back in the lower divisions, it must be grim being a Falkirk or Dunfermline style fan languishing year upon year under the big boys.

It really doesn't matter where we come this year as long as we avoid relegation. Nobody's going to crave a European place and any extra money we earn from a higher league placing is likely to be spunked on someone who'll never actually play a game for us.

My only ambition for this season is to see us playing decent football.

We've been here before.

We're just a decent striker and wide player away from being a very good squad.

Europe came too early, we weren't ready and shat the bed. It's a massive anti-climax and we've got a month to stew on it, but we'll quietly get on with business.

We've seen Tommy like this plenty of times before, he will be raging. He picked the wrong line up in the first game, but let's be honest over the two games nobody really played great against a team we really should be beating. The players also need to take their share of the blame as we created very little today.

One thing I am disappointed about is our home European record. On taking over, TW inherited a record of 6 home European games without defeat (?) Since then we've played 6 more home games I think it is, and lost 3 of them.

Still, we're already in the last 16 of the league cup, so there's that to look forward to...

We've been here before.

I'm not even convinced we need both. MOH would be the absolutely perfect player to add to this squad. He wouldn't be near the level he was at when he left, but his pace alone is an asset we've craved since then. Cummins hasn't looked the same player since he left aswell, although that's perhaps just a coincidence.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

One thing I am disappointed about is our home European record. On taking over, TW inherited a record of 6 home European games without defeat (?) Since then we've played 6 more home games I think it is, and lost 3 of them.

Two decent strikers. Love to be proved wrong but Tommy's almost obsessive reliance on MacLean is beginning to be counter-productive.  Still, O'Halloran returning would be worth two players I think.

You're right about our Euro record though. His first two games in charge were against Rosenborg. What a team. But since Luzern, that's three awful European games at home. This last one the worst, because I wasn't expecting much better.