Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We basically have the budget we should have now as the bank debt has been paid off. We're all wee diddies, we are just becoming self sufficient diddies [emoji14]

Indeed, it's brilliant to see what Partick are doing and I genuinely hope it all pays off. I just hope your academy doesn't get shafted by this moronic Project Brave pish.

True.

Similarly, lets not forget the generosity of the banks and various local businesses here. They allowed Dundee to build a team of stars and international players, and build two new stands, yet got nothing in return when Dundee declared themselves bust.  They effectively did for Dundee what the Weirs are doing for Thistle.  And then they did it all again!

Its not a criticism, etc etc

[emoji3]

Agreed but in the main it was the generosity of HMRC.

They didn't extend to a training complex though [emoji17]

Anyway it's not the Weir money that's stopping you signing players, it's the Browns hanging on to the 2 million. How much of a safety net does St Johnstone actually need?

25 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Anyway it's not the Weir money that's stopping you signing players, it's the Browns hanging on to the 2 million. How much of a safety net does St Johnstone actually need?

Pretty much a golden rule that we stay in the black whatever happens. I suspect we'll have made a loss over last season. And I'd imagine relegation would make a huge dent in it. But that's what it's there for.

Still, always good to see Dundee fans with an interest in financial prudence.

True.

Similarly, lets not forget the generosity of the banks and various local businesses here. They allowed Dundee to build a team of stars and international players, and build two new stands, yet got nothing in return when Dundee declared themselves bust.  They effectively did for Dundee what the Weirs are doing for Thistle.  And then they did it all again!

Its not a criticism, etc etc

[emoji3]

Was worth it though for all the trophies won, European trips and consistently high league finishes.

Agreed but in the main it was the generosity of HMRC.

They didn't extend to a training complex though [emoji17]

What sort of safety net do you think a club of our size needs?

Pretty much a golden rule that we stay in the black whatever happens. I suspect we'll have made a loss over last season. And I'd imagine relegation would make a huge dent in it. But that's what it's there for.
Still, always good to see Dundee fans with an interest in financial prudence.

Yes. It's a fact that sometimes escapes particularly St Johnstone fans but there as many fiscally prudent fans amongst the Dundee support as you'll find at other clubs.

My main point being during a time of transition at SJ, with Anderson, McLean and Davidson etc seeming to be fading slightly is it not time to prime the pump with a bit of investment. What's the point of generating a safety net so large that the financial constraints that are required to produce it vastly increase the likelihood of it being used.

It would be a great shame if St Johnstone were relegated for the want of 1/2 a million being invested in the squad, a sum you can easily afford - seemingly.

You're just making a point that 80% of Saints fans have been making for the past three years.

It's a moot point anyway considering we've twice offered the biggest (relative) contract to players in the last five years, and seemingly Scougall isn't too far off it either. Weve still got over a month of the transfer window left, and at the moment I'm more convinced we'll spend a fee than I've ever been.

6 hours ago, Fifespud said:

4 hours ago, Fifespud said:

What's the point of generating a safety net so large that the financial constraints that are required to produce it vastly increase the likelihood of it being used.

It's a fair point, and as RG says, one that quite a lot of Saints fans have expressed over the past few years, especially when we've been on a bad run, or at the end of another uneventful transfer window.

I just think the board have realised over the years, maybe after seeing what happened at Gretna, Livi, Dunfermline, yourselves and Motherwell, that there is no point in spending more than your running costs as an average sized club in Scotland. You just don't get any return. You can never win the league and open up the huge money world of champions league football, for example. And finishing top six regularly doesn't make that huge a difference to attendances.

I would expect over the past few years we have rarely finished a season in profit, other than when we sold May or O'Halloran, or won the Cup. None of these are likely to happen particularly often, whilst relegation is only one bad season away, so the attitude is keep back this money for when we inevitably need it.

But I get what you're saying about the more you prepare for a bad season and hold back from investing, the more likely you are to make it a realty, but experience has maybe shown that stretching your budget in Scottish football just doesn't pay off.  And thinking about it, I can't think of many examples of where it worked and didn't end in disaster.

12 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Record.....broken. Move on Spud.

He doesn't need to change his same old, same old, tedious bait as Saints fans love a troll and will continually bite. Fifestan will keeping coming back as he'll always get the attention he craves.

Just now, Mr Heliums said:

Serious question: have any clubs of our size in Scotland spent money on players in the past few years and has it been worthwhile?

I think from memory Motherwell paid fees for marvin johnson and Louis Moult - Johnson made a decent profit for them, and you could reasonably argue without Moult they may have gone down.

other ones that i think fees were involved, Gavin Reilly to Hearts, Kevin holt to dundee, Ian McShane to Ross County, Rory Muirhead to Dundee Utd, - none of whom you could say were overwhelming successes

Yeah Bartons the one who stands out, he transformed Partick with his ability to play multiple roles. Problem with the question is that a lot of the time clubs up here don't mention anything at all about fees or frees.

11 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

I think from memory Motherwell paid fees for marvin johnson and Louis Moult - Johnson made a decent profit for them, and you could reasonably argue without Moult they may have gone down.

other ones that i think fees were involved, Gavin Reilly to Hearts, Kevin holt to dundee, Ian McShane to Ross County, Rory Muirhead to Dundee Utd, - none of whom you could say were overwhelming successes

We've paid fees for 4 recently. Johnson and Moult as you mentioned along with Ryan Bowman, who has been less successful and most recently Trevor Carson who's yet to play a game as we only just signed him.

He doesn't need to change his same old, same old, tedious bait as Saints fans love a troll and will continually bite. Fifestan will keeping coming back as he'll always get the attention he craves.

Can you not tell the difference between bait and actual serious posts?

11 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

whilst relegation is only one bad season away, so the attitude is keep back this money for when we inevitably need it.

At what point does this become a self fulfilling prophesy? 

As far as im concerned 'maintaining level', 'ambition' etc should not necessarily be gauged in Europe and top six finishes, but ensuring that we are never again relegated. 

Its a balancing act to be sure, it just seems that relegation is part of the business plan at times.  That and the very dangerous pervasion throughout the club and supporters that's its all ok because we were shite in the 80s so we will probably be shite again, lets just enjoy it while it lasts.  Things move on standings change and we must strive to maintain at least an average consistency to the level we are at.

13 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

At what point does this become a self fulfilling prophesy? 

As far as im concerned 'maintaining level', 'ambition' etc should not necessarily be gauged in Europe and top six finishes, but ensuring that we are never again relegated. 

Its a balancing act to be sure, it just seems that relegation is part of the business plan at times.  That and the very dangerous pervasion throughout the club and supporters that's its all ok because we were shite in the 80s so we will probably be shite again, lets just enjoy it while it lasts.  Things move on standings change and we must strive to maintain at least an average consistency to the level we are at.

You can't guarantee against relegation. Hibs and United were relegated while spending 2-3 times as much as we do.

I agree Shaggy.  It feels like £2m is a huge safety net, and spending just a couple hundred thousand on players/ wages could make a massive difference, yet still leave us secure.

But I don't really know enough about the accounts to judge. If we made a six figure loss last season, for example, then I could understand the reluctance to spend even more this term.  

I'll be really disappointed if we don't get in the forward and wide player we're all after. But as somebody said earlier on, we've got until the start of the season to do it, then maybe judge at that point. Even without them I think we've a strong enough squad for mid-table, it just would mean a lack of entertainment and a lot of grinding out results.

Good to hear. They've got a month before the season starts and 7 And a half weeks before the window shuts. They do need to get it right though as I think some fans will turn if they don't bring in a couple of decent players. 

Guessing it's left wing and striker that's being prioritised perthsaint1977?