Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

So, genuine question, should Tommy be replaced?

Of course not. He needs to adapt though. He's become over-reliant on players who he's managed since his start though, players like Millar and MacLean should already be replaced

Genuine question, do you think Wright actually gives a f**k about the European games and whether he wins or loses or does he just see them as a couple of pre-season games that he's obliged to fulfil?

Given how early they are in pre-season, the costs involved in flying out and the possibility of fixtures meaning the club could conceivably lose money and the question of how deep into the tournament they're realistically likely to get it wouldn't be a huge surprise if they were just written off.

Genuine question, do you think Wright actually gives a f**k about the European games and whether he wins or loses or does he just see them as a couple of pre-season games that he's obliged to fulfil?

Given how early they are in pre-season, the costs involved in flying out and the possibility of fixtures meaning the club could conceivably lose money and the question of how deep into the tournament they're realistically likely to get it wouldn't be a huge surprise if they were just written off.

A United fan I worked with was of that opinion with Stephen Thompson and Europe. Said he was instantly morning about costs and wanting it over and done with.

Wouldn't surprise me if a few managers here viewed them as such tbh.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not even convinced we need both. MOH would be the absolutely perfect player to add to this squad. He wouldn't be near the level he was at when he left, but his pace alone is an asset we've craved since then. Cummins hasn't looked the same player since he left aswell, although that's perhaps just a coincidence.

20 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Two decent strikers. Love to be proved wrong but Tommy's almost obsessive reliance on MacLean is beginning to be counter-productive.  Still, O'Halloran returning would be worth two players I think.

Yes MOH would make a huge difference...

Mannus/ Clark

Foster Anderson Shaughnessy Easton

Millar   Davidson

O'Halloran Scougall Wotherspoon

Maclean

With all our players fit and raring to go at the start of the season, I'd be happy with that.

(Alston/ Wotherspoon and Macca/ Kane depending on form)                

He certainly more inclined to play young players. Gilchrist, May and Caddis all got their first chances under Wright in Europe. 

I think we've just been pish frankly. Could and probably should've beaten each of the last 4 teams who knocked us out. 

Does anyone genuinely think there is any chance of MOH coming back? Just can't see it.

What's the extent of Easton's injury? That could be another significant problem as Tanser is unlikely to be anything like an adequate replacement. It's also clearly a rushed judgement after two games but Gilchrist doesn't look up to it either, very shakey.

Not based on anything other than my own feelings, but any MOH deal surely relies entirely on what Rangers are wanting for him, either in terms of fee, or wages.

It certainly appears that Brown views them that way.

In truth other than the fact the ground is a fantastic development opportunity and there's 2 million of shareholders reserves in the bank (who are the major shareholders again?) the Browns view the entire football malarkey as a total pain in the arse.

I'm afraid chaps I hope you've enjoyed this golden era because quite frankly, it's over [emoji4]

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

In truth other than the fact the ground is a fantastic development opportunity and there's 2 million of shareholders reserves in the bank (who are the major shareholders again?) the Browns view the entire football malarkey as a total pain in the arse.

I'm afraid chaps I hope you've enjoyed this golden era because quite frankly, it's over emoji4.png

Just reading Wright's comments after the game...fucking hell. "If we get past the first round, it's a great achievement...". His whole spiel is basically saying they can't be arsed playing in Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40523150

595eac46700a0_ScreenShot2017-07-06at22_31_05.png.75295748d7eb4060289591dfe4e1517f.png

4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I'm afraid chaps I hope you've enjoyed this golden era because quite frankly, it's over emoji4.png

So we keep hearing. I'm sure when we start poorly, as we always do, we'll be getting relegated too. I suppose you'll be right one of these years. 

So we keep hearing. I'm sure when we start poorly, as we always do, we'll be getting relegated too. I suppose you'll be right one of these years. 

His wild delight every Summer when we get papped out of Europe, and his unbridled joy as he then spends the next month posting constantly about how this is the year everything goes to shit, really helps put things into perspective for me. Losing in Europe isn't too bad when that's the alternative.

Just reading Wright's comments after the game...fucking hell. "If we get past the first round, it's a great achievement...". His whole spiel is basically saying they can't be arsed playing in Europe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40523150
595eac46700a0_ScreenShot2017-07-06at22_31_05.png.75295748d7eb4060289591dfe4e1517f.png

I wouldn't read too much into it, hes the type of manager who downplays everything in the media.

He won't sign a proper striker as it would mean the unthinkable option of dropping MacLean as a starter. Even when it risks out entire season he can't leave MacLean out because MacLean wants to play. How much confidence do you think it instilled in Kane and Cummins to see the manager risk a fucking cripple rather than rely on them?

Pretty sure I got slated for saying that MacLean was broken at the end of last season, now St Johnstone fans are finally seeing it as well.

10 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Saints will have got ~£200,000 from UEFA for getting knocked out last night. Surely they can't be making a loss when you include tickets?

Think you get travel expenses too... I remember reading that was £80, but that might have been stopped now.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pretty sure I got slated for saying that MacLean was broken at the end of last season, now St Johnstone fans are finally seeing it as well.

He's not the problem. Cummins and Kane are no where near the same class as Maclean so, whenever he's not available, we're a noticeably worse team.

Edit: I'm sure Maclean scored more goals than the other two combined as well, and no penalties among them.

Edited by Kyle

Big test for Brown already - the Sun are saying Thistle (and Saints) are after Michael O'Halloran. I can see fans (wrongly) turning on Brown if MOH ends up at another Premiership club who aren't one of the big boys.