Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Half the matches played, a comparison with this time last season:

2016-17 after 1-1 draw at home to rangers on 28th december-

P 19   W 7  D  7  L  5    GF 25   GA 21 GD +4    PTS 28

(5th place, 3 points behind Hearts in 4th, 7 points above Partick in 6th).

2017-18 currently-

P 19   W 7  D  4  L  8    GF 20   GA 27  GD -7    PTS 25

(7th place on GD behind Killie, 3 points behind Hearts in 5th , 1 point above Motherwell in 8th).

On 23/12/2017 at 10:04, RandomGuy. said:
On 23/12/2017 at 09:32, NYD1997 said:
From everything I have seen of him (which to be fair has been limited to minutes here and there) he looks really comfortable on the ball, plus he is happy to get forward and finish (I could be wrong but was he not East Fife's top scorer last year and is not far off QOS's this year?) 

I think a lot of his goals are from set pieces. As I say, I've not seen a huge amount of him so you might be bang on. There just seems to be a lot of people wanting to move players out of position based on one attribute these days, and it makes me uneasy.

All his goals with us have been from set pieces and all bar one with his head. He is a terrific prospect and ok on the ball but I wouldnt be playing him anywhere but centre half.

What do we now in terms of our strikers?

We're generally a better team with Scougall as a central player, so that requires one up front. Johnstone can't be dropped while he's scoring, and that leaves MacLean and Cummins on the bench, and McMillan has signed. Are we at the stage where MacLean and Cummins are fighting it out to be third choice?

Worth noting QOS are being linked with Nathan Austin after his release from Falkirk, which might lead to Kane returning.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-ohallorans-future-remains-unclear-11767348.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Rather we didn't waste three weeks of the window waiting on MOH and Rangers, get it sorted quick or just leave it.

Be interesting to see who all goes. Gordon, Gilchrist and Thomson are all the obvious shouts, Cummins obviously been linked with Cork. You wonder if theres anyone else who'd be going.

Three players out, plus O'Halloran, should probably allow us to bring in two or three. Not sure whether McMillan would fit in with that or if the budget was already there for him.

Millar too you’d imagine, despite the clear unturn in results and fortunes with him in the team. This seems to have been more personal than the manager is letting on and I’d imagine he’ll be gone st the end of the season anyway. Other candidate might be Keith Watson, who I’d imagine  still has a % of his salary paid by Saints. 

I agree - MOH was great to begin with but hasn’t really made much of a contribution since his electric start.  Would be happy to take a chance on someone else. Team has coped without him in the team and another player might be hungrier to succeed with us. 

I think this is going to be a busy window for us. The potential outs are obvious, the ins less so. 

Did TW not say Millar was staying a week or two back?

I honestly completely forgot Keith Watson existed

Either way, Watson, MOH and one of the young CHs are all pretty much guaranteed gone. Probably Thomson too. That's four wages to play with. Two or three in is my prediction, not including McMillan.

I'd be shocked if Millar leaves in January. He has played well, and results have improved since he came back in to the team.  The manager was talking positively about him in the papers after the Rangers game.  Surely Tommy wouldn't be picking him if he had no intention of keeping him?

I don't know how easy Watson will be to move on, obviously a good defender but horrendous injury record since he signed for us. Thomson hasn't featured much so he will be a contender for release, along with Gilchrist. Cummins as well is a possibility; I felt after scoring at Ibrox that was the ideal chance to build his confidence and kick on from there, but we've not seen much of him play since.

I'e basically just agreed with the suggestions above but used hundreds of words to do it..

:blink:

Hadn't heard. Hope it works out for him. A good lad, a good player and deserves a bit of luck with fitness after all he's been through
https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/hartlepool-united/hartlepool-united-keen-to-extend-keith-watson-deal-but-budget-constraints-and-recovery-could-scupper-any-agreement-1-8918475

A good move for him and I hope he does well there, he definitely needs a fresh start, and with Johnstones upturn in form and McMillan coming in he was likely to be in the stands most weeks.

How would folk feel if this Maynard rumour is true?

Absolutely rapid striker who, once upon a time, was highly rated. At 31 he's a bit old but it's probably the same age we signed MacLean at.

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How would folk feel if this Maynard rumour is true?

Absolutely rapid striker who, once upon a time, was highly rated. At 31 he's a bit old but it's probably the same age we signed MacLean at.

Think Maclean was 29. Relatively similar career trajectories prior to coming to us. Maynard hasn’t been great for Aberdeen though and I’d rather we signed someone younger. 

A young winger would be ideal. Would take a loanee but would rather it was a permanent deal. Wonder if Falkirk would entertain a bid for Sibbald, given they want a clear out to fund a signing splurge in January. I reckon he’d do a job for us, even though he hasn’t had the best of times at Falkirk this season. 

Think Maclean was 29. Relatively similar career trajectories prior to coming to us. Maynard hasn’t been great for Aberdeen though and I’d rather we signed someone younger. 
A young winger would be ideal. Would take a loanee but would rather it was a permanent deal. Wonder if Falkirk would entertain a bid for Sibbald, given they want a clear out to fund a signing splurge in January. I reckon he’d do a job for us, even though he hasn’t had the best of times at Falkirk this season. 
Guy on WAP now mentioning Scott Wright.

Unofficial Twitter has quotes from TW saying we might not sign anyone if we extend MOHs loan. Not sure how I feel about that, obviously better than what we can get but it's pretty short term thinking.