Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Keith Watson scored today,just for you Kyle,always looked more of threat than Ando at corners :rolleyes:

Ando looked quite threatening when he out jumped a Dundee United defender to put us one up in the cup final. Can’t quite remember who the United defender marking him was.

35 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Ando looked quite threatening when he out jumped a Dundee United defender to put us one up in the cup final. Can’t quite remember who the United defender marking him was.

Positive contributions don’t count, Constanza. He’s been a part of 3 exceptionally strong central defensive partnerships in our time in the top flight. There’s an argument that Duberry and Wright  made him better and masked his deficiencies, but Anderson was the senior defender beside Joe and his standard didn’t drop for the first two years of that partnership. I don’t think there’s any doubt that his level isn’t what it was in previous years and his age/number of appearances probably count against him reaching that level again so it may be time for saints to either blood Gordon/Kerr or bring him in another experienced defender to replace him long term. 

2 hours ago, Costanza said:

It was the keepers fault at the goal no one else’s, and yes Ando scored one of his dozen goals in 400 appearances, a goal machine in anyone’s language,you’ll find Watson’s average is a lot better, but some players can do no wrong, whilst others can do no right

Finding the furore over Watson by a few Saints fans a bit bizarre today, I'm not sure many of them realise Hartlepool play non-league football these days.

36 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I see Wright is now saying that he has no idea what money he has to play with in this window, and any business we do will be later in the window. Honestly, I wish he’d just shut the f**k up. 

Presumably he has no idea how much money will be available because he's hanging on the phone for O'Halloran's agent like a love-struck teenager. But you're right: Tommy's attitude is destructive. We know budgets are tight, but we don't need to be told at every interview.  If he wants to sort things out early, start by forgetting about O'Halloran. Meanwhile, the goals scored at the weekend by Watson – an injury-afflicted player we nevertheless signed on a two-year deal – can't have helped the plausibility of his plea for more money.

Did we go for a warm weather break last year? Are lots of other clubs doing it? I don't understand why he's got a bee in his bonnet about it this time around.

Rangers "on the verge of signing" right footed left winger Jamie Murphy. You wonder if that would influence any decision on MOH.

5 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Tommy's attitude is destructive. We know budgets are tight, but we don't need to be told at every interview.  

I'm sure he's just been there long enough to become Browned.  Geoff started it all post-Bosman going from the buying Dodds Geoff to the Private Frazer Geoff and regularly telling everyone how bad life at McDiarmid was. For all the good Geoff did I'm sure he started to piss folk off with his attitude and they've never returned. Steve obviously continued the family trait and it looks like they've finally worn Tommy down. 'This is a local club for local people. We'll have none of your upbeat nonsense here'

Tommy became the Blue eyed boy when during his initial interview and asked to see the " clubs accounts books" as he was not prepared to go through another administration as he had gone through in NI.

Geoff switched onto this right away and TW become as I said the Blue eyed boy from that day, So now to be bleating about finances all the time is getting a bit boring as he would appear to know the consequences  of not balancing the books turns out? Also the amount of people who moan about the Browns is also Laughable even people who do not go to games anymore and do not contribute a penny towards the running of club still think some one else should put their money in! it is an old saying that everybody is willing to spend some one else's money and not their own springs to mind.  

Do  not understand why Wright had to bring this subject into the public domain . Is he trying   to create a division between the Fans and our Chairman ? . If so i think he is making a very big mistake . Tommy has given us all some great memories over past 5/6 years but Saints Fans should remember that none of this  would have been possible without the excellent stewardship of The Browns during the past 25 years + .  He had the right to ask the Chairman about the possibility of taking the players on a winter break but when this was turned down it should have been kept within the club .  All managers have a shelf life  and i wonder if Tommy Wrights is almost up at Saints. 

Steve Lomas was a pain in the ass for emphasising at every opportunity how poor our budget was compared to everyone else's.

I wonder if Tommy has seen a fair few comments about how shite we are, should he be sacked type nonsense over the past couple of months, and wants to remind everyone that £ for £ we are probably still doing fairly well in terms of league position.  It's maybe just his way of showing everyone how tight we are with cash.

I agree with others here though, I'd rather he didn't keep mentioning it in the media, most Saints fans already know how tight run we are.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Steve Lomas was a pain in the ass for emphasising at every opportunity how poor our budget was compared to everyone else's.

I wonder if Tommy has seen a fair few comments about how shite we are, should he be sacked type nonsense over the past couple of months, and wants to remind everyone that £ for £ we are probably still doing fairly well in terms of league position.  It's maybe just his way of showing everyone how tight we are with cash.

I agree with others here though, I'd rather he didn't keep mentioning it in the media, most Saints fans already know how tight run we are.

I suspect you've nailed it. Its also possible hes lowering expectations for this window. A Ryan Dow/Jim O'Brien/Alex Fisher type window would see a lot of seethe from some sectors, but its likely as good as we can afford.

18 hours ago, 7-2 said:

I'm sure he's just been there long enough to become Browned.  Geoff started it all post-Bosman going from the buying Dodds Geoff to the Private Frazer Geoff and regularly telling everyone how bad life at McDiarmid was. For all the good Geoff did I'm sure he started to piss folk off with his attitude and they've never returned. Steve obviously continued the family trait and it looks like they've finally worn Tommy down. 'This is a local club for local people. We'll have none of your upbeat nonsense here'

Very unfair to Geoff Brown on the Dodds score: we were in desperate trouble at the foot of the table and he basically paid for the player himself. But that was a one-off. Otherwise he always had the same attitude – the club must live within its means – and that's something that's carried on under his son. You can argue its merits, but it shouldn't be news now, either to fans or to the manager. Somehow it seems to be.

Still, all those saying Saints are somehow tight-fisted should remember that some of our most loyal players over the past few years – and even our manager – came to us via clubs who'd overspent and subsequently couldn't be trusted to pay their players' wages.  How short memories are.

Every manager will have similar gripes to Tommy. But I don't know any who air their complaints so publicly.  It's unprofessional and considering this is a man who got the job because he claimed to understand the financial pressures of a small football club, it's pretty dispiriting.

I suspect the underlying reason is a defensiveness. Our form is honking, his transfer market record is poor and Tommy's on the lookout for a 'bigger' job. His audience for these comments are the media and potential employers. But it would be nice if he thought of the fans too.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Wright and Pawlett - yes.
Maynard... naw.
Half wondered if the Pawlett link was just because someone heard we were interested in a "Scot at MK Dons". Robbie Muirhead isn't playing for them just now, and we all know how much TW loves an old United player.

Suppose that wouldn't make much sense with Johnstone being here though.

This whole Maynard rumour thing is just bizarre..We are now talking about it because some Aberdeen fan on their Northern Lights forum had apparently read some saints  fans talking about it somewhere..So now both sets of fans are mysterious talking about something they heard from each other 

This whole Maynard rumour thing is just bizarre..We are now talking about it because some Aberdeen fan on their Northern Lights forum had apparently read some saints  fans talking about it somewhere..So now both sets of fans are mysterious talking about something they heard from each other 
It'll be in the Daily Record tomorrow and TW will start believing he's always been interested. Have to wonder who started it all..

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
2 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

It'll be in the Daily Record tomorrow and TW will start believing he's always been interested. Have to wonder who started it all..

Then Aberdeen issue a statement saying they have had no contact from St Johnstone about the  player .Maynard asks what's going on and says that he wants to go out on loan to get some game time.. Aberdeen then contact Saints to ask if we are "Still Interested." TW thinks Hmmmmm might not be a bad idea..Deal gets done untill the end of the season..It gets announced and fans of both clubs smugly say to their mates.."I Kent this was happening weeks ago"