Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Nothing wrong with his comments. Sink or swim for these lads and we don't have a big enough squad for him to sugar-coat it. He'll look after players who do the business for him but isn't just going to blindly say it's fine that Callum Hendry can't win a contest in 180 minutes against League One centre backs, or Ali McCann touches the ball five times in a half of football, or Wallace Duffy makes two big mistakes in his first three appearances. They shouldn't be left in any doubt that they won't be involved with performances at that level. It doesn't help them and doesn't help the club. 

Exactly. They could be asked to do a job at Celtic next week in front of 60,000, so if they can't take a bit of, to be fair, justified criticism from their manager then they're going to have to grow up pretty quickly.

Think it might be a bit different if he'd singled out one player and hammered him publicly.

In a way they should see it as a positive, that he's speaking about them as senior, potentially first team players, and not being all soft about them because they're young.

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Under 4.5 wins just, took until 8AM the next day for the Dees to reach five, well done, you’re getting better. 

IMG_1807.thumb.PNG.f74e967e9e9f78347ed15e82eb495143.PNG

including things that happen before your post in your bets, datsumbaaaadbettin'.

I think playing against teams at our level might suit our strengths a bit more.  The way Montrose and Forfar set up, sitting deep and getting numbers behind the ball meant there wasn't a lot of space for Kennedy, Swanson and O'Halloran to run into. There were loads of times Swanson or MOH would beat a player, especially at Montrose, but then be crowded out by other opponents covering.  

Good play by both sides, who deserved their wins, and something we'll have to get better at dealing with.

The first 25 minutes against County showed we can carve teams open with a bit of space to run into, albeit we couldn't finish chances.  Against Brechin, a goal after 4 minutes settled us a bit and meant we didn't have to force it quite so much.

The likes of the three players mentioned, and Drey Wright as well, are fairly direct, and possibly suited to playing opposition who are attacking more. 

Celtic 0 Saints 2

😳

35 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We’ve kept one clean sheet against Glentoran, Linfield, Morton, Inverness, Montrose, Ross County, brechin and Forfar. 

So 2-1 saints next Saturday IMO. 

Good analysis. Possibly even 3-2 Saints.

Infact, I'll  even stick my neck out and say that a bet of more than 2.5 total goals in the match will  make folk money.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

If I can have a rebuttal myself:

1- The cup competitions are to win, not to accrue prize money. 

2 - There’s not a hope in hell that are budgets are done based on us reaching the semi final of the League Cup. We’d no doubt revise our budget were we to get through, but our initial budget will be done on the most prudent basis, ie on a first round exit.

3- I don’t think anybody has said the cup doesn’t matter, it’s obviously important, and 99% of our fans will be annoyed/angry/disappointed that we were papped out in “disastrous,” circumstances. Some have however called yesterday a warm up game, which for all intents and purposes it was, albeit an important warm up game that we really could have done with a positive result in.

I think if you are rebutting points you should quote them, because I’m not convinced you are rebutting anything that anyone has actually said, although happy to be corrected. 

I would also suggest that comparing the Skol Cup to Champions League qualifiers is ... a bit of a stretch. 

Money for this competition is buttons. It's called the diddy cup for a reason. You're on about £60k and a few quid for telly for making the quarters. 

Nobody is saying they are happy or complacent about being out of the competition, but there are a few realists who see it for what it is. 

BTTS and Saints win seems like stealing at 33/1. Can't find a market for McMillan 1st goal though. 

17 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Money for this competition is buttons. It's called the diddy cup for a reason. You're on about £60k and a few quid for telly for making the quarters. 

Down £60k in prize money, which is a players wage.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Down £60k in prize money, which is a players wage.

It's only a 'hit' if it was budgeted. I think as pointed out above, that would be unlikely. 

And if we're really paying player less than they'd make being a plumber we probably want to look at that.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

It's only a 'hit' if it was budgeted. I think as pointed out above, that would be unlikely. 

I'd be surprised if they didn't budget for us to make it out a group containing three sides in the bottom two divisions.

The above post was on about us budgeting for a Semi-Final.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't budget for us to make it out a group containing three sides in the bottom two divisions.

The above post was on about us budgeting for a Semi-Final.

Possibly. If it's like any other business they should have best/worst/likely scenarios and a budget based on either worst or likely. 

I think that point I'm making is that it's hardly a financial calamity. I think that the morale and performance issues are more of an issue than the money. 

"It was a pretty young team we put out today, but again the team was geared up almost as another test to see if certain ones could do well and cope with it and it's evident that one or two probably aren't just ready yet to start regularly in the first team, particularly in the SPFL

Sounds like Tommy speak for 'Right Steve, I tried it your way and it's not going to work. Get the biscuit tin open.'

37 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Don't see why a Premiership club would *not* budget on getting to at least the last 16 of the League Cup, when they're always top seeds and up against a stack of total dross. 

14 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Yeah, a little Tory of my man @Valentino Bolognese to scoff at that wage. 

Not scoffing at all, merely suggesting that it seems less than I would have expected for a premier division footballer to be on. I thought that it would have been much more, given that figures of £2/3k per week are bandied about fairly regularly. 

(also not a tory)