Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Radford said:

Do you think we've had a good pre-season? Throwing in the towel doesn't help anyone but neither does ignoring what has been a pretty disastrous month.

No, but I didn't think we had a good Betfred Group stage last season either. 

I was at Montrose last year and it was fairly uninspiring, but Watt snaffled a goal from a half chance then they hit the bar with a wonder strike. This season we conceded a wonder strike and nobody took any half chances. Last season the top seeds, Falkirk, got relegated from the Championship, yet it took one quality moment to separate the two sides in the end, in another uninspiring game. This year our game against the top seeds was far harder, and yet once again it was a case of us missing half chances while County didn't that separated the teams.

I've no idea how the performance is today, but, IMO, only Kerr, Tanser, Craig and Kennedy from that 11 make our strongest line up, while the manager made it clear he wasnt overly bothered about the game.

I'm not impressed, but I'm also not convinced it signals some dire season ahead of us, but a lot rests on getting a striker.

Just now, Templar said:

Substitution, St. Johnstone. David McMillan replaces Kyle McClean. I take it O'Halloran has an injury

Hes taken Tanser off at half time aswell. 

He said himself hes fully concentrated on the Celtic game, this is nothing more than getting minutes in some legs and escaping without any more injuries.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes taken Tanser off at half time aswell. 

He said himself hes fully concentrated on the Celtic game, this is nothing more than getting minutes in some legs and escaping without any more injuries.

Players should be playing for their place in the team next week and have some pride in their performance. This is not good enough no matter what Tommy said before the game. If Tommy is happy with this there is something far wrong

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

I think it’s safe to say that Tommy Wright will not be happy with this. Strange post.

Replying to a post which stated 

this is nothing more than getting minutes in some legs and escaping without any more injuries

4 minutes ago, Templar said:

Replying to a post which stated 

this is nothing more than getting minutes in some legs and escaping without any more injuries

It's literally a friendly.

There'll be some pride involved but it's a second string side playing an away friendly to a fired up side who can qualify with a win.

You know what - yes we have a small squad, yes we have a lack of striking options, yes we put out a slightly weakened team.  However, there's still no excuse for losing twice to League 1 teams. The first time you can excuse but the second time you would expect a reaction. We're not seeing a reaction or the players hurting enough. We're not seeing enough organisation. Not acceptable and the manager needs to sort this out - it's his squad and his players. Even a second string Saints team should be beating League 1 teams - not disrespect at all to Forfar and Montrose. It's simply not good enough. 

Not read anything above. But regardless of the lack of signings, the two defeats are completely unacceptable. One is forgivable but two strikes me as extremely worrying. Something has to happen in the next week to two or its seaside leagues for us.

2 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

You know what - yes we have a small squad, yes we have a lack of striking options, yes we put out a slightly weakened team.  However, there's still no excuse for losing twice to League 1 teams. The first time you can excuse but the second time you would expect a reaction. We're not seeing a reaction or the players hurting enough. We're not seeing enough organisation. Not acceptable and the manager needs to sort this out - it's his squad and his players. Even a second string Saints team should be beating League 1 teams - not disrespect at all to Forfar and Montrose. It's simply not good enough. 

Montrose the difference was a wonder strike, today was a direct free kick.

In terms of the other end, theres nothing up front. Thats nothing new, but the players seem aware of that themselves, and it heaps pressure on the wingers to do everything themselves as the link man up front isn't helping, and heaps pressure on the defence to be flawless because we won't score enough to win.

Our season hinges on a quality striker coming in.

Whilst by no means do I think he should go. I do think he is at least partly to blame for the lack of activity in this summers transfer market. Zero pre contract agreements made that were made public last season. We tried for Gallagher and failed. Tried for May and failed. Tried for polworth and failed. And now this start to the season. Is it brown to blame?