Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

25 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Wasn't our wage bill circa 2 million on the last accounts? 

If you just look at that in isolation, while I know it'a not as simplistic as this due to other fluctuating costs etc but you'd need to reduce that by 50% to cover the budget deficit. 

The bad management was offering too much money to players that the club evidently could not afford. Whether the wages were unbalanced or they overspent. If they continue to spend the same in wages, without an increase of money coming in I'm unsure how they'll stop losing money 🤷‍♂️. Hence the 6 figure incoming loses. 

Agree, but a lot of the more expensive players from the last financial year have already been moved on. Some still there will be gone at the end of this season and others have been or will be offered reduced terms. Not all the losses were down just to wages. Stupid decisions like 'accidently' spending a significant fee on a development player who never made the first team will not be repeated.  We were also dealing with a far too big squad last year.

For me, there is some low hanging fruit for the new owner. There is a lot of missed matchday revenue for me and generally, the club has been lax in how it markets itself re sponsorship, non matchday revenues etc. A small increase in revenue coupled with some cist reductions gets us back to where we need to me. Not getting papped out of the league cup in the group stages would add some funds too. 

7 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Agree, but a lot of the more expensive players from the last financial year have already been moved on.

I dunno. Hallberg, Murphy and Wotherspoon were the 3 to go, that you'd think could be around that, but I wouldn't be stunned if Considine, Wright and Carey combined are similar if not higher in what they earn a week. Still paying Ali Crawford too whos on a regular starter wage. Then we're still tied to Nicky Clark who, while good, apparently earns an obscene amount, and would some of the MacLean/Levein signings be similarly expensive?

I still think we're a year or two before it's completely cleared, and then we'll still be making a few mistakes likely.

Levein this morning talking about making training less intense, and less about tactical stuff, is good to hear. Been rumours the last week or so that players are overtrained and exhausted by the time we hit a game, and if they focus so much on tactical stuff then maybe that explains why they constantly look rusty in play too.

New owners had conversations on what is needed to remain competitive with Levein. 

🤞 

I'm still fairly convinced the mess v Hibs was because they set up differently to what was expected and nobody could adapt, so it was a mess as strikers followed the initial pressing plan while midfielders sat deep because they thought it was too risky, and the management couldn't think of a different approach.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm still fairly convinced the mess v Hibs was because they set up differently to what was expected and nobody could adapt...

Was the way Hibs lined up a surprise at all?

Under Tommy Wright, I know I could moan about us not having an identity and I found it enjoyable and refreshing when Davidson came in with one.

But in time we saw the huge issue with identity managers. 

My point is that TW, if he hadn't identified a way to play against Hibs, would have changed things early if he saw cause.

And I thought that sort of pragmatism - given we have a crap squad - was the reason for bringing in an experienced manager.

But he's sat on his hands since his very first game against Motherwell and it's been infuriating.

Pragmatism is king for a club like saints. mcinnes got it, wright got it, Lomas got it to a degree too. 

I thought we would get that with Levein but he's essentially brought in Callum Davidson junior as an assistant manager and allowed him to pick the team/shape. Just give me an old school manager who doesn't talk about transitions and I'll be happy. 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

ROONEY

I’m sure his explosive pace is exactly what Levein will be looking at with interest. And likely told Hearts to take a punt on him while we take someone surplus to requirements on loan. 

5 hours ago, Radford said:

Was the way Hibs lined up a surprise at all?

Basically exactly the same way they lined up at Easter Road so it shouldn’t have been. Maybe Andy Kirk forgot to detail it on his clipboard. 

54 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

I’m quite content with Rooneys final moment in a saints shirt being the end of the play off final, perfect way to sign off. 

I was just thinking this too. I’d rather he didn’t re-sign, rather have the excellent memories.

As much as Rooney would be a square peg in a square hole should we stay up, us not likely to be able to confirm our premiership status (if we even do) until the end of the season and/or playoffs will probably scupper us signing him.

Others will be interested and probably offer him a contract before we even start giving some to our existing players, nevermind new signings. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.removepaywall.com/article/current

Worth a read for more on Webb and his involvement at Cambridge. 

Sounds like Webbs been involved in helping Cambridge get good sponsorship deals too, a local journalist down there suggests there's been a notable uptick in that side of things since he got involved.

Edited by RandomGuy.