Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Aye this...

“We are excited to take on the challenge to grow the club through success on the pitch, improving the fan experience, dedication to the community, and respect for the 140 years of history and tradition at St Johnstone. Come on you Saints!”

... sounds perfect really. You might worry it's bluster but he's part of a group who's done the same at Cambridge so there's some form of track record to hang hope on.

Leave it to Geoff Brown to find the American Geoff Brown. 

Buzzing for another trophy haul in 10 years time. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Leave it to Geoff Brown to find the American Geoff Brown. 

Aye.

Here's a multi-millionaire new owner for you St Johnstone fans, guess what he'll spend his millions on?

The car park.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye.

Here's a multi-millionaire new owner for you St Johnstone fans, guess what he'll spend his millions on?

The car park.

Love it. 

If we can get back to being St Johnstone again that would be lovely. Hopefully the inbound owner and casting the entire out of contract list into the sea (other than a couple of kids who can be part of the revolution) and we can get back to going to places like Tynecastle, Easter Road etc with a quiet sense of confidence and not dreading a horsing. 

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

So a massive improvement then? 👍

If they replace the stovies, we riot. 

20 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Love it. 

If we can get back to being St Johnstone again that would be lovely. Hopefully the inbound owner and casting the entire out of contract list into the sea (other than a couple of kids who can be part of the revolution) and we can get back to going to places like Tynecastle, Easter Road etc with a quiet sense of confidence and not dreading a horsing. 

Aye. Being boring but good to support again will feel like heaven after the last few years.

Suspect it might still take years for the on field stuff to get sorted, bar some mad overhaul this Summer of the whole football side of things, but if you start seeing progress off it then it'll give some hope for the future.

I'd love it if they chucked some money at new seats for the entire stadium tbh, and it's something they might do when talking about "modernisation"? Standing section at the scoreboard end and then all blue seats everywhere else with the odd white one to spell stuff out.

1 hour ago, hamicle said:

Thomson got a crack at it on Sportsound on Sat night. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Probably more to do with him never managing above League Two 

To be fair, we’ve ended up with a manager (the actual one) who’d never managed a club outwith the Highland League previously so maybe he has a gripe…

Posted (edited)

I know its exciting news in terms of the new owner and the deal getting closer. Fresh start, fresh ideas etc. Its been quite stale for a while as we all know. 

First thing that will be on the mind of the new owner is dealing the fact the club is hemorrhaging cash year on year. A business with our turnover losing 6 figures year on year is unsustainable.

How is that realistically achieved though? Mass cull on the playing budget? Our budget is already not the most competitive as it is. 

If we do stay up and then make significant playing budget cuts next year I can see next season being much worse than this and potentially finishing 12th, miles adrift. I can see there also being reasonably sized price rises for patg (£35ish against the Old Firm) and season tickets next year as well. 

If that is the plan then I can see it being a fairly difficult first season for the new owners no matter what division we're in.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

2 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Has a lot of the clubs money come from the crematorium?

Is that part of the deal?

The club doesn't make any money directly from the crematorium.

They make money hosting the "cup of tea" after it.

I'm not really sure what you're thinking would be part, or not part, of the whole thing? The new owner is just buying Geoff Brown out.

5 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Has a lot of the clubs money come from the crematorium?

Is that part of the deal?

Correct. The simple slution is we need to kill a whole bunch of people.

12 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

First thing that will be on the mind of the new owner is dealing the fact the club is hemorrhaging cash year on year. A business with our turnover losing 6 figures year on year is unsustainable.

How is that realistically achieved though? Mass cull on the playing budget? Our budget is already not the most competitive as it is. 

Stop hemorrhaging half a million pound a year on about 4 players is where I'd start.

10 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I know its exciting news in terms of the new owner and the deal getting closer. Fresh start, fresh ideas etc. Its been quite stale for a while as we all know. 

If we do stay up and then make significant playing budget cuts next year I can see next season being much worse than this and potentially finishing 12th, miles adrift. I can see there also being reasonably sized price rises for patg (£35ish against the Old Firm) and season tickets next year as well. 

If that is the plan then I can see it being a fairly difficult first season for the new owners no matter what division we're in.

I'm not sure that the playing budget needs to be dramatically changed next season should we stay up. The losses were down to bad management and unbalanced player wages. Stupid wages for plsyers with zero resale value. A lot of that has been sorted, but what will be seen in the next losses is the hangover from that.

Any small increase in budget realistically would be OK, especially if the new owner can increase the revenues a bit. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The club doesn't make any money directly from the crematorium.

They make money hosting the "cup of tea" after it.

I'm not really sure what you're thinking would be part, or not part, of the whole thing? The new owner is just buying Geoff Brown out.

I was wondering if you were still losing money with the crematorium and whether the browns were taking that with them. 

2 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

The simple slution is we need to kill a whole bunch of people.

If you start with Fifers them I'm all in and would buy a season ticket.

Just now, Derry Alli said:

I was wondering if you were still losing money with the crematorium and whether the browns were taking that with them.

Taking what with them, where?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Taking what with them, where?

The ownership of the crematorium. You have said they don't make any money from it. I was under the impression it was under the club umbrella - much like Dundee's owners attempting to do.

Just now, Derry Alli said:

The ownership of the crematorium. You have said they don't make any money from it. I was under the impression it was under the club umbrella - much like Dundee's owners attempting to do.

Understand you now.

The club don't own the crematorium. All money we earn attributed to that seems to actually just be money earned by the suites within the stadium holding functions.

The ~£2.8m Covid loan we took from the government was apparently to cover losses with the bulk of it the function suites. From what I've heard they've never reached pre-Covid levels of money from those since lockdown.

Suspect our new owners sees that as an easy point of interest to improve to improve income. Due to location, those suites could be making 7 figures comfortably ever year if you make it attractive enough.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'm not sure that the playing budget needs to be dramatically changed next season should we stay up. The losses were down to bad management and unbalanced player wages. Stupid wages for plsyers with zero resale value. A lot of that has been sorted, but what will be seen in the next losses is the hangover from that.

Any small increase in budget realistically would be OK, especially if the new owner can increase the revenues a bit. 

Wasn't our wage bill circa 2 million on the last accounts? 

If you just look at that in isolation, while I know it'a not as simplistic as this due to other fluctuating costs etc but you'd need to reduce that by 50% to cover the budget deficit. 

The bad management was offering too much money to players that the club evidently could not afford. Whether the wages were unbalanced or they overspent. If they continue to spend the same in wages, without an increase of money coming in I'm unsure how they'll stop losing money 🤷‍♂️. Hence the 6 figure incoming loses. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe