Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Are you insuating that Liam Gordon would actually want to wear a shitey red strip? Not on my watch Paulo, not on my watch.

😀

No. But we have a few quality centre backs, proven to do a job at Premiership level and are at good ages, to maybe be of interest to a club like Aberdeen.  

I would hope any of our young players that do move on would make more of an upward move to a decent English championship or Premiership side instead of staying in the same league.

Aberdeen will finish below St Johnstone this coming season so it's not even a sidewards step, plus any improvement on salary will be counter spent on a translator just to understand the fans. Far to much upheaval to go to a club who's only thing of note lately was a diddy cup, It isn't very appealing to our young starlets tbh.

18 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Reading the Aberdeen thread, there's a supporter who seems to be very in the know, or at the very least a great bullshitter, who reckons McKenna is definitely going to be sold this summer, and that McLennan, Anderson and Wright will be loaned out.

Would the Dons be looking our way for a potential replacement for McKenna?

And would any of those three  players be of interest to us as stop gaps?  All three are attacking or wide players, and loans might be a sensible option to fill the squad out a bit if we're keen to keep costs down for the first half of the season.. 

The same poster claimed we had made a loan offer for McLennan

Ok fair enough, personally I think there are plenty of players in the English lower leagues more than capable of stepping up to Scottish Premiership level ( it’s not that high a level), you just need to pick the right players. We have had a number of players come from the English lower  levels and below who have done well, Moult came from none league as one example. A number of last seasons team that finished third were the same. Regarding the other players Fox did have a poor season at Thistle but is fine as a number two, Lamie was a regular at Livi before indeed losing his place, he may or may not work out. White I personally have my doubts about, he may chip in with a few goals but won’t be setting the division on fire. O’Hara is a very good signing in my view and will only get better, he’s still young and improving.
I've been to enough League 1 and League 2 games to know that there is plenty of dross that would struggle in the Premiership in Scotland.

The top end of League 1 has some very good players who might do alright.

15 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I've been to enough League 1 and League 2 games to know that there is plenty of dross that would struggle in the Premiership in Scotland.

The top end of League 1 has some very good players who might do alright.

It’s just about picking out the right players as it is in any league including Scotland. At Motherwell that’s where we often look and it’s paid dividends over the years. We are not a club that’s going to pay money for established Premiership players so it’s lower league in England where we picked up Hylton, Carroll, Tait, Donnelly, Moult, Carson, Gillespie to name only a few. Moult along with Hylton was none league. We then try and pick up some of the better players from the Scottish Championship and hope to get lucky with the likes of Lamie and Gallagher from the top flight. They don’t all work out but Robinson along with Foyle  have a knack of finding decent players and improving them.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

😀

No. But we have a few quality centre backs, proven to do a job at Premiership level and are at good ages, to maybe be of interest to a club like Aberdeen.  

I would hope any of our young players that do move on would make more of an upward move to a decent English championship or Premiership side instead of staying in the same league.

It's very unlikely we'll be signing anybody.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The same poster claimed we had made a loan offer for McLennan

He was the one I was wondering about, thought he's looked good on the limited amount I've seen him. Is he too similar to MOH in terms of what he offers though; a wide right attacking player?

It all depends on whether we feel we've got enough quality in what's considered the starting eleven, and we're looking at squad players.  The only positions I could see us spending on a starting quality player are centre mid alongside McCann, or another option out wide midfield, depending on formation.

Goalkeeper and defence seem sorted, and May and Hendry looked good enough after the winter break to play together at this level,  with Kane and MOH as back-up, as well as Possibly a younger player coming through.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Which other centre backs do you have on your books just now then?  Considine, Taylor and Devlin.. any others?

That's it. We've to find £5m or so by the end of the year. We may sign Hoban on a free but we'll have no cash to take any of the good young players from other teams unfortunately.

We also announced this:

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/06/25/aberdeen-football-club-unveils-football-philosophy-and-strategy/

We're taking it as "nae cash for signings".

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He was the one I was wondering about, thought he's looked good on the limited amount I've seen him. Is he too similar to MOH in terms of what he offers though; a wide right attacking player?

think he can play on either wing, and up front at a stretch.

6 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Is he not a bit more technical than MOH as well? IE a winger who cross?

He's definitely more technical. O'Halloran is pretty single minded. Gets the ball and runs towards the goal. With Connor there's a lot of moments where that's what we'd like to see but he has two players he wants to beat first.

12 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I dont know tbh. O'Hallorans close control, especially at speed, is pretty incredible.

McLennan seems similar to MOH when he first joined. All the physical and technical attributes to be a star, but just needs a solid season worth of senior games to develop mentally. That's based on a fairly small sample of seeing him though.

12 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I dont know tbh. O'Hallorans close control, especially at speed, is pretty incredible.

McLennan seems similar to MOH when he first joined. All the physical and technical attributes to be a star, but just needs a solid season worth of senior games to develop mentally. That's based on a fairly small sample of seeing him though.

Agree, I think O'Halloran's very good technically. His first touch and dribbling are excellent, and he's a very good finisher.  He's also created plenty of chances for others over the years.

Any weaknesses in his game are more mental I would say; decision making, head going down when things aren't going well etc.

Agree, I think O'Halloran's very good technically. His first touch and dribbling are excellent, and he's a very good finisher.  He's also created plenty of chances for others over the years.
Any weaknesses in his game are more mental I would say; decision making, head going down when things aren't going well etc.

I can’t agree with the bit about O’Halloran being a good finisher, if anything I’d say the opposite. He never seems to be able to strike the ball cleanly and I’d have no faith with him one on one. He missed several chances last season where he had rounded the goalie and had the whole goal to aim for. He’s better when he simply smashes it in the general direction, like his goal at Easter Road.

32 minutes ago, Widge said:

I can’t agree with the bit about O’Halloran being a good finisher, if anything I’d say the opposite. He never seems to be able to strike the ball cleanly and I’d have no faith with him one on one. He missed several chances last season where he had rounded the goalie and had the whole goal to aim for. He’s better when he simply smashes it in the general direction, like his goal at Easter Road.

Disagree.  I had just found a load of clips of his goals on you tube but have fucked it up and lost the reply. Pointless going and digging them out again, but there's a few good finishes at the start of this short video:

I think loaning McLennan or Wright would make a lot of sense for Saints this season. Both are good on the left and if they’re loans they’ll likely be cheaper than permanent transfers and there may be scope to bring them in permanently down the line, particularly Wright. 

I’m not sure they’d fit into the 5-2-3 Davidson talked about though. 

Edited by Kyle