Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Butterfield a good example of the issue.

A good player, but he couldnt run and couldnt defend. Stuck into the team and told to be an energetic part of a midfield two. 

Just relegated out the National League. He was horseshit.

But I still reckon I could produce a 50% hit rate. Stay tuned.

1 minute ago, Radford said:

Just relegated out the National League. He was horseshit.

But I still reckon I could produce a 50% hit rate. Stay tuned.

I didnt think he was as bad as he played, but it was clear the legs were gone and retirement/low tempo league was the way forward for him.

There were definitely still flashes of quality IMO.

There’s a  lot of at least qualified successes individually, that wasn’t the issue for me, it Davidson’s complete inability to build a cohesive and balanced squad. How can we have a squad of about 34 yet have only one recognised right back (who has played more at either left back or centre back than he has in his most natural position) for example? We’ve got a lot of young players or players in their 30s but hardly any in their peak years. He wanted to replace experience with experience but that doesn’t mean we had to almost exclusively sign players 32 + years old. The experience that left was mostly in their mid 20s. 

I always felt Davidson couldn’t see what the issues were and even when he did correctly identify a problem area in the squad, he largely failed to bring in the right kind of player to fix the issue. 

We’re in a better place now than we were last summer but it’s still a window we can’t afford to get wrong. My first question to any prospective manager would be to identify weaknesses in the squad  and how they planned to address them, because that’s about as important as anything right now. 

Edited by Kyle

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I'd say 20 of the 38 signed were pish. Just my view though, which counts for f**k all.

I reckoned 20 were decent enough, so we are pretty much on the same page.

I'm sure I saw a post (although I can't find it now looking back over the past few pages) where someone said 2 or 3 were good. That was ridiculously harsh but, as I say, I can't find it now.

18 minutes ago, Radford said:

I reckoned 20 were decent enough, so we are pretty much on the same page.

I'm sure I saw a post (although I can't find it now looking back over the past few pages) where someone said 2 or 3 were good. That was ridiculously harsh but, as I say, I can't find it now.

I think that might be in one of Dundee threads, sure Ludo said it. 

The point being, is decent the standard that we’re after! It’s alright to have decent players in the squad capable of being solid, but it’s the match winners and quality aspect of things that Davidson didn’t really sign. He arguably signed a lot of 6/10 players and none who could produce an 8 or 9/10 in a match, that was my main issue. As well as overlooking depth and varied squad options. 

5 hours ago, Costanza said:

Hallberg isn't on that list.

Neither is Phillips. Two of our better midfield signings under Davidson.  

If you put together a team of CD’s best signings?? Something along the lines of..

Matthews

Wright  Mitchell Considine Montgomery

Conway Hallberg Phillips Carey

Melamed Clark 

subs: MacPherson, McGowan, Cleary, McNamara, Middleton, Brown, Bryson, Murphy

Edited by PauloPerth

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Since when did McPherson become decent by the way? I count one good game, half a good game and a trap at Tynecastle when we were getting beat, that's it.

He’s improved massively with Philips alongside him, and with a run of games. 

he looks decent now and if he and phillips are our first pick CM’s next season I dont have an issue with that. 

Cammy MacPherson has done enough now to merit a run in the team. Probably looking to him to step it up a level but he deserves the shirt and chance to improve through getting a string a games.

Looking back, there is no doubt he suffered from the shadow of McCann hanging over him.

Him and Phillips is a good midfield base to be building around next season.

39 minutes ago, Radford said:

Cammy MacPherson has done enough now to merit a run in the team. Probably looking to him to step it up a level but he deserves the shirt and chance to improve through getting a string a games.

Looking back, there is no doubt he suffered from the shadow of McCann hanging over him.

Him and Phillips is a good midfield base to be building around next season.

Central midfield options of Phillips, MacPherson and wee Max is actually something to look forward to next season, if all can perform and step up a level.

With a few older heads in and around them, Spoony for one, then we end up with a young talented centre to the team. A couple of younger defenders who can play CD, but double up as full backs and you can cut the age if the side quite easily.

Obviously would need to shift out 8/9 of the older fringe players.

All dependent on staying up of course, which I think a win tomorrow coupled with favourable results elsewhere would all but do it. 

So, by my maths, if we win tomorrow, we cannot be automatically relegated, if both Utd and Killie do not win.

Even if the both do win, then the only route to us being relegated would be; us to lose all games = 39 points, Killie to win all games aside from last day vs County = 40 points and Utd to win every game aside from 2nd last day vs Killie where the lose = 40 points. County would need to then win every game aside from the first one to get to 39 points and then leap us on goal difference. 

If any of those games do not pan out as expected, and there is any draws at all, then we even avoid the playoff as 2 points dropped by anyone would put them below 39 points. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

14 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Did we get the Kerr money up front from Wigan?

No, but football creditors take priority over others. So wages and fees due to other clubs get paid first. If we are still due anything, we, in theory, should still get something, but not sure if the cross border aspect changes anything. 

Can we not just write off any money due for some blue seats and Kerr back? 😉😆

48 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

No, but football creditors take priority over others. So wages and fees due to other clubs get paid first. If we are still due anything, we, in theory, should still get something, but not sure if the cross border aspect changes anything. 

Can we not just write off any money due for some blue seats and Kerr back? 😉😆

In the case of a pre-pack with intention to continue the endeavour of association football maybe, but any hypothetical debt owed would just be unsecured creditor status behind Secured creditors and HMRC in any other case.

In any case, i genuinely don't know if there is anything outstanding.