Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Here's one of mine:

f**k me, a speed boat!

Kirsty McCall

You put my head in a spin with that one!!

""If Hillary Clinton can't satisfy her husband what makes her think she can satisfy America?" - Donald Trump

6 minutes ago, mizfit said:

“Not to worry lads, this Sub is pressur-“

Some billionaire.

Ooft.....too soon for that surely!!

"I like the team from Scotland, that have half purple half green shirts" - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would be a decent shout I would think. Not seen much of him in recent years but I would expect decent cover for Sinclair.

"Man United are like the burd who was Worldy at school but has now married a nutcase and has 11 kids" - Si Ferry

Jamie MacDonald is a good, solid back-up goalie and, despite what the manager is saying, would mean Ross Sinclair is going to be number one.

I can see why managers might not be keen on a player/coach in a goalkeeping role but it would have freed up budget if it was decided that Sinclair was going to get the nod.

"Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job." - Brian Clough.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not unsurprising and makes total sense to be honest. An experienced keeper who can help out with Sinclair's development who can still play at a good standard. Maybe not inspiring,  but I wouldn't have him as being worse than Matthews was, so that's a positive. Ultimately, you're looking at 2 guys who're both going to want to play which is always an advantage, 

1 minute ago, Radford said:

Jamie MacDonald is a good, solid back-up goalie and, despite what the manager is saying, would mean Ross Sinclair is going to be number one.

I can see why managers might not be keen on a player/coach in a goalkeeping role but it would have freed up budget if it was decided that Sinclair was going to get the nod.

"Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job." - Brian Clough.

Will probably be a more reliable number 2 than Parish as well.

"Life is too short for fruit. That's why I stick to bananas." - Josh Windass

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Not unsurprising and makes total sense to be honest. An experienced keeper who can help out with Sinclair's development who can still play at a good standard. Maybe not inspiring,  but I wouldn't have him as being worse than Matthews was, so that's a positive. Ultimately, you're looking at 2 guys who're both going to want to play which is always an advantage, 

100%

"To give passion to the penguin you must first seduce the goose." - Pedro Caixinha

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

Aye, hard to imagine back up keeper (which MacDonald really should be) for us is very appealing. Youre looking almost solely at over 30s within Scottish football who wouldnt demand first team football, which feels a very tiny pool.

Surely he'd jump at the chance of the likes of a 2 year deal at a full time level as well. Experienced and that kind of signing has worked very well overall for us in the past when called upon. 

Likewise I don't know how he's performing these days but in his earlier years was surprised he wasn't playing at Premiership level.

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Surely he'd jump at the chance of the likes of a 2 year deal at a full time level as well. Experienced and that kind of signing has worked very well overall for us in the past when called upon. 

Likewise I don't know how he's performing these days but in his earlier years was surprised he wasn't playing at Premiership level.

I get the impression that Macca is building a reliable squad, not a mega exciting squad. Maybe will take us back to basics in terms of being hard to break down, everyone has their job and sticks to it.

"I was really surprised when The FA knocked on my doorbell." - Michael Owen

17 minutes ago, Radford said:

This is where I am with it too. Would be a solif back up option. 

“Brushes…nah, hit em as hard as you can” -John Bonham

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Jamie MacDonald may not be a great goalie, but he’s solid and steady, a great influence in the dressing room and a genuinely nice guy. You could do worse for back up..

Thanks for the intel 😃

"Sometimes I talk a load of sh*te" - Craig Levein

Edited by 1985Saint

MacDonald is fine as a backup on the assumption Sinclair will be number one.

Jumping ahead, but, if Sinclair is successful, given his age etc, it's possible he'd be away in a year or two, so do Saints have equally capable up coming keepers behind him or would it leave us an issue of too big a gap to the next through the system and a too old MacDonald?

We left too big a gap between Zander and Sinclair, hence the Matthews loan. 

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

MacDonald is fine as a backup on the assumption Sinclair will be number one.

Jumping ahead, but, if Sinclair is successful, given his age etc, it's possible he'd be away in a year or two, so do Saints have equally capable up coming keepers behind him or would it leave us an issue of too big a gap to the next through the system and a too old MacDonald?

We left too big a gap between Zander and Sinclair, hence the Matthews loan. 

Matthews was by all accounts a "great guy about the place" but I do not recall him making too many saves, if ever.

"My policy on cake is pro having it and pro eating it" - Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

MacDonald was in The Courier the other week saying he still wants to be a number 1. To the point he was asked if he'd consider coaching and he said no, because he still wants to play regularly and doesn't want to accept being a second choice keeper. He was offered a new deal at Raith and turned them down.

I'd be surprised if he's not  looking to join you with the intention that he'd be number 1 which isn't a bad thing as long as it's only him that's thinking that.