Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Stirling Albion has to be St Johnstone’s line in the sand, according to striker Stevie May.

An all-in McDiarmid Park meeting of players and management followed the humiliating 4-0 loss to the League One part-timers – Saints’ third defeat of a torrid Viaplay Cup group campaign.

And then Perth boss Steven MacLean got his senior pros together to further pick apart where things have gone wrong in July and the areas that need to improve.

Three-time cup winner, May, was part of both debriefs and he’s confident that MacLean will get the collective response he’s hoping for.

“What can you say,” said last season’s top scorer.

“It’s so clear that it’s not good enough – in general, not just today.

“It’s about us sorting ourselves out and wiping the slate clean before Hearts on Saturday.

“Stirling are a good side but they’re in League One and we should be able to put out a team that wins comfortably.

“There are no excuses.”

St Johnstone players and staff had their say

On the meetings that ensued from the four-goal defeat, May added: “The manager said his piece.

“He gave it 15 minutes after the game so that all the injured ones could come down.

“Everyone was in on it. These sort of meetings happen from time to time in football.

“And then he said he wanted the senior ones in for a meeting.

“It was opened up. A few people said what they had to say and the manager asked a few of us what we thought.

“It was important for the manager to let everyone know what he was thinking.

“Now we need to regroup.
Stevie May had a golden early chance against Ayr.

Stevie May had a golden early chance against Ayr. Image: SNS.

“It’s on to league business and it has to be much better.

“It was good to have this sort of meeting before we start the week leading up to our first league game.

“Within ourselves we know it’s not good enough.

“We’re not trying to lose games and play poorly but things have to improve.

“There are still a lot of the players here who finished last season really well and picked up points.

“We need to build ourselves up again and be ready to go next Saturday.”

Ben McCrystal

The weekend – like Stenhousemuir away – was a chastening experience for young players afforded an opportunity though a combination of squad-trimming and a long injury list.

“You can look at it both ways,” said May. “They’re getting a great chance to be involved in first team football.

“It’s not easy and it’s not always pretty.

“You want to come in and win games but that hasn’t happened.

“Ben (McCrystal), especially, in the middle of the park came on and did really well. Fair play to him – that was one of the few positives.”

Edited by PerthSaints

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

The players are all good at talking in the press but then it doesn't translate to the pitch.

Agree with you mate

Still cant believe Saturday 🤪

Really disappointed that Macca or Gordon were not interviewed afterwards for the clubs channels.

Add me to this list of people done with the players coming out into the press promising change. Id genuinely rather not hear anything from them at this stage.

MacLean edging that way too. Bored of him telling us how "his team" will play with zero sign of it on the park, and how "his team" wont play that way again, before it happens again.

48 minutes ago, PerthSaints said:

Ben McCrystal

The weekend – like Stenhousemuir away – was a chastening experience for young players afforded an opportunity though a combination of squad-trimming and a long injury list.

“You can look at it both ways,” said May. “They’re getting a great chance to be involved in first team football.

“It’s not easy and it’s not always pretty.

“You want to come in and win games but that hasn’t happened.

“Ben (McCrystal), especially, in the middle of the park came on and did really well. Fair play to him – that was one of the few positives.”

I’m glad McCrystal has been singled out for praise, I thought he showed up very well when he came on.

I think when you’re bringing youngsters in you want them to play in a settled side and develop under the wing of experienced pros. As a result of the entirely necessary rebuild, the number of injuries we are carrying and the way Maclean wants to build his squad in terms of only bringing in players that fit the right profile (which I entirely agree with) we’ve been left in a place of just throwing in five young lads and hoping they do something.

That doesn’t excuse Saturdays result but you can see how it happens.

I agree with the post further up about playing a 4–3-3 on Saturday. I’d go:

Mitov

Brown McClelland Considine Gallacher

Phillips McGowan Ballantyne

Wright Jephcott Carey

I’d be ok with May in Carey’s place and even Max in place of Ballantyne, on the basis that he trusts himself a bit more to shoot/make a killer pass than he did against Stirling.

12 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’m glad McCrystal has been singled out for praise, I thought he showed up very well when he came on.

I think when you’re bringing youngsters in you want them to play in a settled side and develop under the wing of experienced pros. As a result of the entirely necessary rebuild, the number of injuries we are carrying and the way Maclean wants to build his squad in terms of only bringing in players that fit the right profile (which I entirely agree with) we’ve been left in a place of just throwing in five young lads and hoping they do something.

That doesn’t excuse Saturdays result but you can see how it happens.

I agree with the post further up about playing a 4–3-3 on Saturday. I’d go:

Mitov

Brown McClelland Considine Gallacher

Phillips McGowan Ballantyne

Wright Jephcott Carey

I’d be ok with May in Carey’s place and even Max in place of Ballantyne, on the basis that he trusts himself a bit more to shoot/make a killer pass than he did against Stirling.

I like the look of that team Jamie - I think it is probably the best that we could put out at the moment.....which is crazy slotting McClelland in when we have not seen him in action, but he is naturally in our top two CBs  🤣🤣🤣

Haven’t posted on here for a while and agree with posters who have identified the centre of the pitch as an issue. I personally think that McLean has fallen into the same trap that CD did in that he makes the players fit the system rather than the system fit the players. Assuming we sign McLelland I’d go as follows.  
                                Mitov 

Mclelland   Gordon. Considine 

Wright  Phillips  McGowan  Gallagher

Carey

May         Jephcott

Hopefully this covers the issues centrally, allows Carey to float about, be a nuisance and if necessary bolster the middle. Also allows us to change to a back 4 if Brown is on the bench.

I know this has previously produced boring, eye-bleedingly bad football but I’d rather sit through that than another humiliation.

I’ll now put on my tin helmet while this is pulled to pieces 

I dont think we should be scared of using a back 5, the issue was how Davidson had us playing it more than the shape itself.

13 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Haven’t posted on here for a while and agree with posters who have identified the centre of the pitch as an issue. I personally think that McLean has fallen into the same trap that CD did in that he makes the players fit the system rather than the system fit the players. Assuming we sign McLelland I’d go as follows.  
                                Mitov 

Carey

May         Jephcott

Hopefully this covers the issues centrally, allows Carey to float about, be a nuisance and if necessary bolster the middle. Also allows us to change to a back 4 if Brown is on the bench.

I know this has previously produced boring, eye-bleedingly bad football but I’d rather sit through that than another humiliation.

No need for a tin helmet....football is a game of opinions mate 👍

33 minutes ago, Sainthearted said:

The current defensive problems really make me question the decision to let Mahon go in January.

It’s all the more bizarre when you consider Bair played 33 times last season and Mahon only played 3.

Less bizarre when you remember Bair was recommended by Nick Dasovic, Mahon was recommended by Stephen Grieve. 

Edited by gingermunkie

53 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

If this is what it turns out to be and we’ve signed him on a two year deal then great if it happens because it would mean everybody was doing something right. I know it’s wishful thinking but we need any hope we can cling on to right now

9 hours ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Mitov 

Carey

May         Jephcott

I'd probably go with a very similar line up too.

By having McGowan in the midfield, it allows us to flex the formation if needs be (likely chasing the game) by taking off one of the CD's and putting him to right back and going to a back 4.

I've no issue with a back 5 if it's what is best suited to that game. However, I don't think MacLean will go for it as he's not used it pre season (not that what we have done worked!). I'd expect he'll go with much the same as above, but drop Gordon or Considine (pretty sure it's Gordon) and stick brown at right back. Would imagine midfield of Wright, Phillips, McGowan and Carey, with May and Jephcott up from.

Going to go out on a limb and say a side like that starting 11 looks OK on paper, so long as Phillips doesn't act like a dick and kick everything that moves, May actually turns up and either Considine removes himself from treacle or Gordon clears his head, depending on which one gets the nod.

I've actually got a sneaky feeling we will have one more in, as well as McLelland available for Saturday..... 😉

Edited by Theyellowbox