Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

He scored about 18 goals in friendlies for us so i daresay hes a good finisher when he gets the chance.

He was just so utterly pointless at everything else while playing for us it wasnt worth having him on the park most of the time.

Fair fucks if he makes it elsewhere but continuing with us was just a waste of time for everyone.

He defintely doesn't look like he can effectively lead a line or even play that well with his back to goal given his size and physical presence. 

Sure Motherwell fans won't give a toss about that though if he makes a habit of popping up right place right time for them. Dundee should certainly have done better with it though.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

He defintely doesn't look like he can effectively lead a line or even play that well with his back to goal given his size and physical presence. 

His size made people think he was a player he wasnt, IMO. Hes more of a Stevie May, one who needs space to play in and the ball to his feet.

You can't judge a season based on one game. 

The debutant's at the back did reasonably well. The first goal which of course I've only seen live, frustrates me so so much. some sprinted out, some didn't and it resulted in the second goal becoming a clear chance on goal. Decent finish though. 

Second goal... 🤷‍♂️ Games over. 

The question marks will be about how we'll score against Premiership sides. Didn't look creative enough. Few half chances from set pieces aside.

I have absolutely no idea how we've ended up with Mitov if that's his level. He was different class. Likes the look of McLelland and Olufunwa has some good raw materials needing refining. 

I think there's a decent team in there somewhere, but we do need to find a way to create more chances

Just now, Kyle said:

I have absolutely no idea how we've ended up with Mitov if that's his level. He was different class. Likes the look of McLelland and Olufunwa has some good raw materials needing refining. 

I think there's a decent team in there somewhere, but we do need to find a way to create more chances

Olufunwa, for me, started really well but began to lose his position too often, resulting in Wright getting sucked back to cover. 

23 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The difference between what and what?

Being relegated in March or relegated in May, i guess.

He was superb.

Considering one side of our defence has only been at the club a week and have never shared a pitch with the rest of the team, or each other, before then that defensive display was pretty promising.

Going forward a different story but youd hope theres 3 different players we can put in than those who started today, so it might improve.

14 minutes ago, mizfit said:

….anyone else think Gordon had an alright game compared to his recent record? 

Was noticeably better in the first half.

Dynamic and assured

In the 2nd half, resorted to grappling a couple of times.

But was also pulled out of position a couple of time to cover Darre, who was found in no man's land a couple of times

Gordon was fine, i thought the whole defence was. Good to see both him and McClelland organising too.

Olufunwa was what i expected, but as a right back theres definitely potential. Get him more confidence on the ball and see what happens. Only issue is i dont expect him or Brown to be particularly great in attack, so the pressure on Wright down that side is yet again huge and ive little belief he matches his goal return from last season.

Gordon and Maclelland played well together for 65 minutes or so. That looks a partnership that could be okay for us. I think some Saints fans are jumping on any slight error Gordon makes which is not going to help him get his form back.

Olufunwa did fine mostly, though we played very narrow and between him and Drey not following Kingsley sharply enough at times, we did get opened a bit down that side. He’ll be the complete opposite to Brown.

Ballantyne is okay, worked away and had some good challenges but I don’t think he’s a CM at this level. Hope I’m proven wrong, but like to see Smith replace him in there.

And Jephcott is another I have reservations about. Just doesn’t look athletic or mobile at all, and not really a target man, so I struggle to see what he’ll offer.

Carey could be a big player for us this season, if he stays fit. Looks like he’s playing in the right position now.

Shame we couldn’t hold on for a point, would have done wonders for the confidence, but our competitiveness was good to see.

We're still in a situation where we need to play a 4 defenders, 3 CMs, 2 wingers and 2 strikers, due to the squad.

You either sign CMs who can play in a 2 or a striker who play alone.

Chris Kane has absolutely fucked us by being an idiot but he shouldnt be the only lone striker option in the squad. Much like how McGowan shouldnt be the only defensively reliable CM in the squad.

I think 4-3-3 suits us best so a lone striker is the big one, but how easy is that to find when you've already got 4 strikers?

35 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The first goal which of course I've only seen live, frustrates me so so much. some sprinted out, some didn't and it resulted in the second goal becoming a clear chance on goal. Decent finish though. 

Was absolutely convinced there was an offside or a handball in there somewhere. I guess, ultimately, if the assistant + VAR didn’t give it, then there wasn’t. 

If I’m remembering the situation correctly, then the ‘second phase’ - cringe - is something we’ve been poor at the last year or so. Rangers’ first(?) at Ibrox last August is the one that sticks in my head the most for some reason. 

Well that was a much better all round performance and a pity we couldn’t hold out for a point. Today again highlights that we need a big target man. Why can’t management see that, if Chris Kane is not going to be available soon then we must get in a big front man to helpMay and the new Jepcott guy. Both new starters did well but we have nothing up front to get goals.

Unless you score you don’t win.

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

All that hard work to lose a goal like that.

100% this. Deflated and it's because of this more than anything. Defending well and working hard for so long counts for nothing of you just decide not to deal with a simple ball forward late on.

Lack of creativity or quality in attacking areas very evident as well.