Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

13 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Starting to think he’s lost the dressing room tbh. 

A team and players not doing very well doesn't necessarily mean there's been some kind of player revolt where he's lost the dressing room. 

Often the simplest answer is the correct one. 

They're just not good enough. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Think thats now 7 of 10 competitive games we've failed to score in now.

Failed to score in 5 of 6 league games.

We reek so badly of relegation you cant help but think the manager and players know it too.

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Can't wait for the next open night 🤢☹️😂😂

Won't be anything special. Doesn't say anything about Stan being there, just Alastair Stevenson. 

Anyway. It never kicks off. The closest was the young guy with special needs complaining about Remi Matthews.

16 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I know you're taking the mick but it really does. We now have enough fit players to put out a half decent 11.

Please stop.

MacLean deserved leeway/patience due to the mess he inherited and lack of budget, but that doesnt mean he deserves blind faith and excuses made for him either. Today had many red flags and theres zero progress in our style of play, if anything we're going backwards attacking wise. We cant just pray we've got our 11 best players available every week and just shrug our shoulders when theyre out. He needs to find a way to win us games when we've got shite on the park as thats what most of our squad is, and hes not coming close to figuring it out so far.

Surely Maclean can see the 4-3-3 he's using just isn't working, offensively or defensively. It isn't a crime to switch formations, especially when he, and everyone else, can see none of our active strikers suit being up top alone other than Kane who wasn't in the squad. Our attacking play can't consist of crosses into a box with no one to win them, cause the strikers 30 yards out and the other wingers on the edge of the box.

Our midfield seems meh, Cammy MacPherson isn't the right player to choose between him, turner-cooke and Smith. Phillips and Sven seem alright but they can only do so much.

Defensively we are terrible, all it takes is a cross from out wide or just the other keeper and we're more likely to concede than not.

A 3-5-2 seems to me, the best option at the minute. We can be at least a bit more defensively sound, it keeps a 3 man midfield and means May and Jephcott aren't completely useless up top.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Please stop.

MacLean deserved leeway/patience due to the mess he inherited and lack of budget, but that doesnt mean he deserves blind faith and excuses made for him either. Today had many red flags and theres zero progress in our style of play, if anything we're going backwards attacking wise. We cant just pray we've got our 11 best players available every week and just shrug our shoulders when theyre out. He needs to find a way to win us games when we've got shite on the park as thats what most of our squad is, and hes not coming close to figuring it out so far.

I’ve seen absolutely nothing from McLean that suggests he is remotely capable of doing the job. I absolutely understood why fans wanted rid of CD and agreed it was the right thing to do when he was sacked but at least he had some sort of system even if it was boring, defensive and horrible to watch.

McLean has signed a decent amount of players, most of whom are shite , but still doesn’t seem to know a system that fits the players or what his best 11 is. We have gone from a team that could stifle opponents and be relatively solid defensively to a team that is easy to play against and gives away easy goals. This is down to poor coaching and a lack of preparation.

I personally would sack him now and hope that somebody competent can at least come in and make us solid and difficult to play against . Failing that I’d give him the same warning CD allegedly got before the Livvy game.

As for our strongest team, I’d go 3-5-2. 
                            Mitov

Olofumwa.  Gordon.   Considine

Wright Sprangler, McGowan, Tuner-Cooke, Gallacher 

Kane.  May or Clark

Cant imagine it could be any worse than the shite we’ve seen so far this season 

Think this season has been in the post since the laurel resting summer of 2021. Not starting to sign players until mid July didn't help as it definitely reduced the available options but it just kind of feels like our time now. Given the position of strength we found ourselves in after Wright's last little recruitment flurry, it's completely unacceptable but it's where incompetence at all levels of the Football Club has brought us. 

Maclean showing a lot of the same red flags as Davidson now too, seems wedded to a shape, baffling selections and substitutions in game and his recruitment (albeit with what seems like both hands tied behind his back given the budget cuts and the fact he started so late) is starting to look poor now too, save the goalie and hopefully Sprangler if today is anything to go by. Having McGowan as Saints TV commentator, when he was fully fit and when we've got Brown stinking out the place at right back, looking like the latest faux pas. 

We so clearly need a fresh start. I can't really say I want Maclean gone because hes only just been given the job and on a long contract but going for the continuity candidate after the last 2 years was a ridiculous decision. 

I never bought into all the chat about us signing the right profile of players with sell on value etc. Yes we needed to move away from only signing older players in the twilight of their careers on long contracts, but ultimately it’s what players contribute to the team now that matters most. I can count on one hand how often taking young fresh out the academy players with very little first team experience from down south produces a worthy first team starter for us over the years.

Maclean was announced 2 days before Tony Doc at Dundee. He’d also managed the team for 5-6 matches prior to that and been around the squad for the previous 3 years. He’s had pre-season, the league cup campaign and 6 league matches.  

We’ve been the same for the past 3-4 seasons; woefully unprepared for the first half of the season and playing catch up from January onwards.  Without a Callum Hendry goal spree or an excellent group of players suddenly clicking to produce 5 phenomenal months to take the double, it’s hard to see where the turnaround comes from this time.

I don’t want rid of Maclean at all, I’m desperate for him to turn it around.  It’s just really difficult to imagine what a St Johnstone victory looks like right now. We can’t defend, don’t create chances and don’t have anyone to conjure up a moment of magic to get us a goal.

Clutching at straws a bit, but I suppose our first half performance today was arguably our best half so far.

10 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I can count on one hand how often taking young fresh out the academy players with very little first team experience from down south produces a worthy first team starter for us over the years.

Those who fit into that are just Olufunwa, Turner-Cooke and Costelloe?

Not liking the idea we give the others leeway due to a "lack of experience" when they arent.

Im not even sure what colour of flag it is that Franczak was chucked on the park rather than Smith yesterday, hopefully Smith was just injured and they decided it wasn't worth making it worse by playing him.

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Swallow your pride Maclean and reinstate McGowan. 

I worry its a case of wanting to be the complete anti-Davidson/not wanting strong personalities in the dressing room more than anything with McGowan.

I wasnt as much of a fan of him as others but its quite clear he has a value to the squad and should at least be an option on the bench.

Edited by RandomGuy.

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I’d include Robinson and even Maclelland, though he did play 25 matches out on loan at Barrow.

Aye thats fair, i forgot how little Robinson had played tbh.