Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

40 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Shame it’s ended up like this for him. I did question why we were so keen to offer an extension at the time and the decision looks even dafter now. 

skysports-callum-davidson-davidson_5614904.jpg

Had a dark chuckle at Davidsons first signing at Queens Park being a 33yo (34 in March) CM whos missed most of the season through injury (and has a career of injury problems).

18 month deal too.

34 minutes ago, The Marly said:

It's an SPFL rule is it not? If it is, the SPFL stops at Division 2.

Simplest explanations are usually the right ones, aye 😂

7 minutes ago, Sconesaint said:

See Adam Montgomery has been recalled to Celtic. Wonder if he will be considered, I would 

Fits in ideally in my opinion anyway in how the management seems to want the wing backs to play. 

Based on what I've seen so far the management don't really look for winger types at wing back who power forward (Like Rooney) and more players capable of playing under pressure and being more controlled in possession. That's why we've seen Phillips and Franzck playing there - although some of that will be down to the other fit wing back alternatives haven't been good enough.

Montgomery isn't slow and can overlap etc but he certainly fits more into that tidy in possession than athletic winger type wing back. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 hours ago, double deluxe said:

Think it’s a FIFA rule actually 

Correct, my bad.

3 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Isn't it a Fifa rule? I'm sure a club somewhere took them to court over it about 10 years ago!

Although it's probably technicalities around being outside the SPFL it's not a member of Fifa or something so only applies in the SPFL

And this appears to be the full explanation of said rule.

Montgomery - Robinson - Gordon - Keltjens - Wright

Could be fun. Probably need McGowan to play though. 

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

So what's Montgomery like as we are apparently signing him?

Very good and pretty effective going forward. And that was in a very negative team set up.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

So what's Montgomery like as we are apparently signing him?

With Saints he started slowly but grow into it the more he played. The confidence grew as he probably got fitter and fitter. 

Quick feet and would drift past people when he was confident. Very one footed though. Was fairly composed in the final third. Unlikely in wide areas to be firing in dangerous crosses regularly like a winger type might though. 

Physically he isn't the best as he's fairly small but plenty of offer. 

Defensively again, he got better but had a habit of just not closing down the man urgently or closely enough out wide resulting in it being far to easy to deliver the ball into the box. Think it lead to a few goals. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe