Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We should tell Wigan no.

He was decent for us and I’d like to see him back here; but let’s be honest, Wigan were happy to take him back early and f**k us over, and you should never ever miss out on the opportunity to be petty and small minded in situations like this.

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We should tell Wigan no.

He was decent for us and I’d like to see him back here; but let’s be honest, Wigan were happy to take him back early and f**k us over, and you should never ever miss out on the opportunity to be petty and small minded in situations like this.

Why would we penalise ourselves? If we don't take him someone else will. 

He'll leave Wigan when his contract expires in the summer. 

26 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Why would we penalise ourselves? If we don't take him someone else will. 

He'll leave Wigan when his contract expires in the summer. 

No one else can, Wigan gave him minutes so he can't play for anyone but us or them for the rest of the season. 

He missed a grand total of zero games for us - thank you Dundee - so I’m happy to put it down as them keeping him fit over the winter break. 

On 30/12/2023 at 06:17, PSJ.84 said:

Shaun Maloney can take his face for a shite.  

This still stands. 

This is where we should be looking to make it a permanent deal, yes pay a fee to Wigan but we'd recoup that and some if he continues to play as well as he has been for us. 

If only the war chest hadn't been plundered already. 

26 minutes ago, Paris Hilltoon said:

This is where we should be looking to make it a permanent deal, yes pay a fee to Wigan but we'd recoup that and some if he continues to play as well as he has been for us. 

If only the war chest hadn't been plundered already. 

Surely we just offer him a PCA? As said he cant play anywhere else this season and Wigan are absolutely fucked financially (again) so wont be offering him anything.

No real need for us to pay a fee unless we havent learned from the Cammy MacPherson saga.

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Surely we just offer him a PCA? As said he cant play anywhere else this season and Wigan are absolutely fucked financially (again) so wont be offering him anything.

No real need for us to pay a fee unless we havent learned from the Cammy MacPherson saga.

Yes, I think we can offer him a PCA and because it is cross border I don't think we'd be due them a development fee. Even of we were, you could agree with Wigan a % of future sale in return for no fee now, like we did with AIK.

Could there be a situation with both Montgomery and Robinson in the same team? Robinson LCB and Montgomery LWB? Don't think we will get Montgomery again, but you never know.....

2 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Could there be a situation with both Montgomery and Robinson in the same team? Robinson LCB and Montgomery LWB? Don't think we will get Montgomery again, but you never know.....

Not the biggest fan of Robinson in attack, so this would be the preference really.

LCB seemed to be where hes played best.

Are we a bit overloaded with CBs now? Surely be trying to get Olufunwa game time somewhere. 

If presented with the opportunity to sign either or, I'd go for Montgomery because I think he has what we are missing in wide areas. Robinson covers more positions, but Keltjens looks like he can cover just about everywhere across the back and in midfield 

Edited by Kyle

Best case scenario for me is Robinson at LCB and Montgomery at LWB.

Unlikely to happen, but it would be good.

Are Wigan in more financial trouble?

I thought that had all finished when their new, billionaire local guy had taken over.

I know they had a points deduction and restrictions on buying players, but doesn't that all finish after this season?

Yeah, yeah, I know. Wigan chat for this pish.

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Yes, I think we can offer him a PCA and because it is cross border I don't think we'd be due them a development fee. Even of we were, you could agree with Wigan a % of future sale in return for no fee now, like we did with AIK.

We would be due then a development fee if they made an effort to keep him, by offering him a new deal etc. 

Can't see that happening though as Maloney evidently doesn't fancy him.

Only thing thats likely to change that is if Maloney gets punted (although don't think he's under pressure of that at the moment). 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

32 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'd far rather have Montgomery than Robinson, especially if we actually want to score some goals in the second half of the season.

What if you had the option to save on Considines exacerbated wages and sign both?

Remember we now have Kerr to fit in as well. Personally I think we have too many CBs.

50 minutes ago, Gekko said:

I thought that had all finished when their new, billionaire local guy had taken over.

I know they had a points deduction and restrictions on buying players, but doesn't that all finish after this season?

The new owner also owns the Rugby league side and seems more focused on letting them spend cash and forcing Wigan into living in their financial means. 

1 hour ago, Gekko said:

Just basing it off their fans on their forum and twitter, who seem convinced theyll be cutting costs this month and in the Summer and everyone out of contract will be leaving (including Jason Kerr).

22 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Remember we now have Kerr to fit in as well. Personally I think we have too many CBs.

Aye we're now a bit overloaded.

I doubt Kerr Smith has been sent on loan here to sit on the bench the whole time, and Keltjens likely wont have joined for that either. If Robinson does join then we have...

Gallacher, Robinson, Considine, Smith, Gordon, McClelland, McGowan, Olufunwa, Wright, Brown and Keltjens all fighting for 5 positions. 

Could see....

Robinson - Smith - Gordon - McGowan - Keltjens

Being first choice as it stands.