Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Luke Robinson is in the Gary Miller and Alan Maybury mould, fine as cover but should never be starting every week.

Seeing our fans get excited over Robinson and Matt Smith just confirms to me how far we've fallen.

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

Luke Robinson is in the Gary Miller and Alan Maybury mould, fine as cover but should never be starting every week.

Seeing our fans get excited over Robinson and Matt Smith just confirms to me how far we've fallen.

Is that fair?

Robinsons only 22 too, whereas Miller was 25 and Maybury 32 when they joined. Robinson needs to improve in a few areas but hes young enough for that to happen by the time hes 25.

Matt Smith depends on what you want from him. I really like him deeper and helping build play, but if you want him in attacking positions itll be a disappointment as he looks unlikely to score/assist regularly.

Standards have slipped but youre criticising young players for not being as good as some of the best players to play for the club in the last 20/30 years.

I partly agree with Radford by not being quite on-board with the level of acclaim that Luke Robinson has received. I think he’s a decent player who can fill a couple of positions, and that has been a pleasant surprise to me after an unconvincing start, but I don’t actually think there’s too much between him and Gallacher at LWB.

Eric Nicolson even included him in an article as ‘player of the season’ so far. I’m sorry, but any answer other than ‘Dimitar Mitov’ is utter sacrilege. I think Robinson has a good case for being in the top five, but nothing too crazy.

Edited by The Real Saints

It's tough out there.

Luke Robinson is what James Brown should be if he actually tried hard.

Maybe these young players will improve to a better standard but Saints aren't going to see any benefit from it.

Looking at the long list of defenders we have, you feel Brown and Olufunwa will be eased out. Brown up until this season I’ve always been okay with as a squad player to keep within our budget, but he’s a more experienced player now yet has been a liability several times this season.

Olufunwa -  certainly think we can do better.

Regarding the defence, out of that list are there any that are under contract after the summer?

We have always carried a few journeymen pros in our squad and tended to be more about the sum of the parts; For Rosenborg at home we started Tam Scobbie and Gary McDonald, whilst for Lucerne at home Gary Miller and Scott Brown started, with Caddis and Scobbie coming on off the bench.

The bench for the Rosenborg game makes ‘interesting’ reading;

IMG_9317.jpeg.3065d3cc620a4f7f7fa3272b11cab163.jpeg

Did we focus our resources far more on a tighter group of quality starters back then, whereas the last few years we’ve spread the cash amongst a bigger playing pool but seen a reduction in quality? 

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Looking at the long list of defenders we have, you feel Brown and Olufunwa will be eased out. Brown up until this season I’ve always been okay with as a squad player to keep within our budget, but he’s a more experienced player now yet has been a liability several times this season.

Olufunwa -  certainly think we can do better.

Regarding the defence, out of that list are there any that are under contract after the summer?

We have always carried a few journeymen pros in our squad and tended to be more about the sum of the parts; For Rosenborg at home we started Tam Scobbie and Gary McDonald, whilst for Lucerne at home Gary Miller and Scott Brown started, with Caddis and Scobbie coming on off the bench.

The bench for the Rosenborg game makes ‘interesting’ reading;

IMG_9317.jpeg.3065d3cc620a4f7f7fa3272b11cab163.jpeg

Did we focus our resources far more on a tighter group of quality starters back then, whereas the last few years we’ve spread the cash amongst a bigger playing pool but seen a reduction in quality? 

Individually, I don't think you've ever had a great squad on paper. Some great players, sure, but I've always viewed you as a cohesive unit. A club that gets limited players buying in and giving 100% and incredibly difficult to beat. You had experience littered throughout the team at your peak that again, individually wouldn't be that attractive a proposition for another club's fans to sign such as your Frazer Wrights, Steven Anderson's, Brian Easton's, Paddy Cregg's, Tam Scobbie's etc. You also had players that could turn on the talent a wee bit and just win a game out of nowhere such as Wotherspoon, O'Halloran, Swanson, Craig etc and if that failed you had the likes of Murray Davidson ready to try and bulldoze the opposition.

It's that, that you've lost. You're no longer an absolute chore to play against and that's what Davidson lost you guys. I always used to come on here and brazenly predict your bubble was about to burst as your latest batch of older experienced players were winding down, but you managed to keep cycling the team... until Davidson went mental and seemed to rip that right out of your side with about 30 signings and not many fit that mould of steady eddie that you need to be successful and even fewer fit the mould of being game changers.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Individually, I don't think you've ever had a great squad on paper. Some great players, sure, but I've always viewed you as a cohesive unit. A club that gets limited players buying in and giving 100% and incredibly difficult to beat. You had experience littered throughout the team at your peak that again, individually wouldn't be that attractive a proposition for another club's fans to sign such as your Frazer Wrights, Steven Anderson's, Brian Easton's, Paddy Cregg's, Tam Scobbie's etc. You also had players that could turn on the talent a wee bit and just win a game out of nowhere such as Wotherspoon, O'Halloran, Swanson, Craig etc and if that failed you had the likes of Murray Davidson ready to try and bulldoze the opposition.

It's that, that you've lost. You're no longer an absolute chore to play against and that's what Davidson lost you guys. I always used to come on here and brazenly predict your bubble was about to burst as your latest batch of older experienced players were winding down, but you managed to keep cycling the team... until Davidson went mental and seemed to rip that right out of your side with about 30 signings and not many fit that mould of steady eddie that you need to be successful and even fewer fit the mould of being game changers.

Yeh agree with most of that Ludo.  Though the double cup winning side was a different mould, with a lot of talented young players supplemented by a few experienced ones.  I think there were a lot of St Johnstone players other sides would have loved to have in their team at that time.

Obviously Tommy Wright built that team and Callum Davidson shaped it and guided it to an incredible achievement, but one thing I don’t think Saints got enough credit for was how many of those players were homegrown: Clark, Gordon, Kerr, McCann, May, Kane. Then add in players that had made their name at Saints and were long serving: Davidson, Craig, Wotherspoon.  Two great young signings from lower leagues in Rooney and McCart…

I’m now just reminiscing on how good a squad that was before being dismantled.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Barring Mitov we basically have an entire squad of backup players 

Im not having Liam Gordon as a club developed player, was he not 19 when he joined us?

The team Tommy Wright left was arguably his "best" one, in terms of what it could achieve in the present and future.

I think we'd maybe have played...

Clark

Rooney - Kerr - Gordon - McCart - Tanser

McCann - Holt - Wotherspoon

Hendry - May

From the start in 20/21 if TW had stayed.

That line up is unreal compared to the current 11 looking at it written down 😂

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im not having Liam Gordon as a club developed player, was he not 19 when he joined us?

Not as a youth player, but we developed him as a first team player. He played for a few years in our development squad and I don’t think had played a single first team game for Hearts. Similar with Hendry for me.

That’s the biggest jump by a mile in a young players’ development; from age group/ reserve level to a first team player. 

Agree about that team Tommy left behind, often wondered if he wishes he’d just waited another year, though obviously Covid was a big factor. We also had that decent centre midfielder from down south on loan, Butcher?

Edited by PauloPerth

38 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Not as a youth player, but we developed him as a first team player. He played for a few years in our development squad and I don’t think had played a single first team game for Hearts. Similar with Hendry for me.

That’s the biggest jump by a mile in a young players’ development; from age group/ reserve level to a first team player. 

Agree about that team Tommy left behind, often wondered if he wishes he’d just waited another year, though obviously Covid was a big factor. We also had that decent centre midfielder from down south on loan, Butcher?

Ah fair enough, he definitely hadnt played for Hearts before, and only after joining us got his loan spells.

On Hendry i always forget he apparently came close to chucking the game before joining us, due to horrible injury issues. Callum Davidson the one responsible for putting him on the clubs radar...

Think TW must have some regrets? Seeing what that team achieved he probably believed he couldve won at least one trophy with them, but it was the right time to go before it turned sour IMO. Liked Butcher but think he was probably always financially beyond signing permanently, im still a bit gutted we never got Jason Holt though. Suspect i might be in the minority there though 😅 and Bryson was a better player who we wouldnt have then signed.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ah fair enough, he definitely hadnt played for Hearts before, and only after joining us got his loan spells.

On Hendry i always forget he apparently came close to chucking the game before joining us, due to horrible injury issues. Callum Davidson the one responsible for putting him on the clubs radar...

Think TW must have some regrets? Seeing what that team achieved he probably believed he couldve won at least one trophy with them, but it was the right time to go before it turned sour IMO. Liked Butcher but think he was probably always financially beyond signing permanently, im still a bit gutted we never got Jason Holt though. Suspect i might be in the minority there though 😅 and Bryson was a better player who we wouldnt have then signed.

I was the same with Holt at the time, would have liked to keep him.  I think he probably slipped through the net with the change of manager. Nothing spectacular, just a reliable consistent presence in centre mid.

2 minutes ago, Muirton Saint said:

Liam Parker starting for Edinburgh City vs Falkirk, alongside another debutant who is captaining the team?

Tbf Faye is probably the only player in their squad over the age of 30. 1-0 up at the minute though. 

Robinson was not in Wigan's squad today, so looks like he'll be back in time for next week.

Time for a PCA?

I know he's not a world beater, but he's better than what we have, and at his age, has the possibility to get better.