Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

29 minutes ago, Kyle said:

He's out of contract in the summer. Think that's the best he's played deeper but he's been very decent further up the pitch this season. One of very few who's worth another year in the top flight next year IMO, whether with us or someone else.

I didn't make the game today, and only caught about 20 minutes either side of half time, so maybe it was just those periods but in that brief spell he did three things that utterly infuriated me, and its stuff he does quite often. First was trying to beat someone 30 yards from his own goal and being really easily dispossessed, second was failing to complete a two yard pass in Rangers half and the third was taking a short corner when the box was loaded with players, then failing to beat the first man when the ball was returned to him.

I'd get shot of him in the summer tbh.

On 15/02/2024 at 20:01, PauloPerth said:

Bigger than I thought it was going to be’ - Former Hearts striker opens up on managerial sacking

Former Hearts striker Steven MacLean was sacked as manager of St Johnstone after a poor start to the season.

Former Hearts striker Steven MacLean has opened up about his time as St Johnstone head coach in his first interview since his departure in October.

The 41-year-old opened up about the challenges he faced during his five-month stint at McDiarmid Park and claimed that the summer rebuild proved to be a much bigger task than he had originally expected.

The former Scottish Cup winner replaced Callum Davidson as Saints boss in April and signed a three year contract with the club. He helped steer the Perth club to safety in his first few weeks in senior management.

During an interview with The Courier he reflected on the work that had to be done in the close-season against a backdrop of a big budget cut to address a seven-figure financial loss.

MacLean explained: “Keeping the club up was a great achievement for us and we then turned a lot of players round. I think 17 players left the club.

“It was a big job – probably bigger than I thought it was going to be. But it was a great opportunity for me and I probably wouldn’t change much apart from a couple of things.”

St Johnstone started the season in disastrous fashion with just four points from their opening nine games. They were beaten 2-0 by both Hearts and Hibs in the early part of the season.

The Saints were bottom of the table and without a league win at the time of MacLean’s departure. However, he remains optimistic that the club has enough to survive in the division.

“I think we were actually starting to progress in the right way. We had a lot of injuries in the first part of the season and we couldn’t build any momentum but I feel like I left them with a squad that’s capable of staying up in the league.

“Unfortunately it didn’t end well but I’ve learned a lot from that. I’ve looked back and studied some of the mistakes I made but also things I did well.

“I’ve got a lot of fond memories and whatever I do next, I feel I’ll be a better coach or manager for that spell. But hopefully I can get back in soon and make an impact.”

The 41-year-old enjoyed an 18-year career which saw him represent the likes of Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hearts and Raith Rovers. He notably scored in the Scottish Cup final for St Johnstone against Dundee during a 2-0 victory in 2014 - marking the club’s first ever major trophy at the time.

He was included in the starting lineup for Hearts in the 2019 Scottish Cup final, but was unable to repeat the feat in a 2-1 loss to Celtic.

MacLean describes the last few months as his first real break from football in 25 years. He is enjoying time with his family but is still keen to be involved in football in the future.

Hmm.

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

A Scottish VAR first as well where you apparently don't need a stop in play either. Ref stopped the game today to go to the monitor?!

It happened in our game v Ross County too when the ball was clearly over the line but hadnt been given on field. 

They should really do it more often, i've been at games when they've been playing on for 3 or 4 minutes for no reason.

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Beating Alloa 4-0 was nice I guess. 

That was away tbf.

I enjoyed our win over Hibs at McDiarmid earlier this season, tbh, and it really fucking bugs me we've not come near to matching that performance since.

1 hour ago, derektaylor84 said:

Been said on here many times. Can see there being a large drop off in season ticket sales next season. VAR is killing the game for people in attendance at the stadium. The second penalty today was dreadful, how long after the incident was the penalty given?

This has to brought up at the open night to hear the clubs thoughts on it. We obviously aren’t getting the breaks from it now but even when it goes for us it’s just a shit experience. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

It should be a massive concern to the club, the number of people in the same boat re ST's is staggering. Almost better for the sales if we were relegated, which nobody wants, but at least would bring a freshness. There is no team in the league that brings anything different or fresh. Would be interesting to see how many times we have played Motherwell and Aberdeen since we last got promoted. Must be well over 50 each in a 15 year period?

Throw in the horrific football over last 3/4 years and complete paralysis in terms of future of the club and I'm not sure what would make anyone want to sign up, other than blind loyalty. VAR nonsense for many might just be the final tipping point. 

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

😄

3BE8CC58-A4D8-45EE-AADB-20E44D9E4455.jpeg

It annoys me more than it should that they get him on to do Saints games now. He has said the last few times he’s been on about the lack of quality in the final third when some of his ‘quality’ signings are some of the reasons we are where we are just now. 

Edited by derektaylor84

Agree with the comment that we could regret not keeping and playing Chris Kane as he is a fighter and always gives 100% effort.

Who can honestly say he wasn’t missed up front today. Nicky Clark is contributing nothing up front and Stevie May is lost somewhere.

No shots on target again is poor.

13 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Would be interesting to see how many times we have played Motherwell and Aberdeen since we last got promoted. Must be well over 50 each in a 15 year period?

Aberdeen from 09/10 onwards is 55 games, and we'll likely play them another 2 times this season.

We'll play our 57th game against Celtic in the same timeframe this season.

Rangers fans crying about Cantwell treatment. 

I can't see past he deserved it. I've never seen a player greet and cry so much to the officials about EVERY free kick, goal kick and throw in we had. 

If you're a complete bitch towards your fellow professionals that's what will happen. 

2 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Rangers fans crying about Cantwell treatment. 

I can't see past he deserved it. I've never seen a player greet and cry so much to the officials about EVERY free kick, goal kick and throw in we had. 

If you're a complete bitch towards your fellow professionals that's what will happen. 

About 90% of fouls against him could be avoided if he didnt purposely time it so he nicks the ball away at the last second to get caught. Theres plenty times where he could shield the ball, take a hit, and keep upright and playing, but instead slows up so he can take that wee touch and get the foul.

Suppose it has a value to get opponents booked and frustrated, but eventually Rangers will start struggling again at some point and the fans will turn on it.

16 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Someone fancy taking one for the team and removing the VAR Monitor? 

Somebody in the Main Stand should’ve had a banner or something ready for the checks today imo. 

32 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Someone fancy taking one for the team and removing the VAR Monitor? 

I was staring at it today and went into a psychotic daydream about sitting in the main stand one week, and kicking it over mid-match before jumping repeatedly on the screen. Or just simply pulling the cable out, which would probably incur a lesser fine.

Either way it’s what we need to raise awareness that this isn’t what most people want in our game.  I’ll happily chip in for someone’s fine.

4 hours ago, derektaylor84 said:

Been said on here many times. Can see there being a large drop off in season ticket sales next season. VAR is killing the game for people in attendance at the stadium. The second penalty today was dreadful, how long after the incident was the penalty given?

This has to brought up at the open night to hear the clubs thoughts on it. We obviously aren’t getting the breaks from it now but even when it goes for us it’s just a shit experience. 

Been saying similar in the VAR thread. For the generation of the goal celebration being the best part of football, it's ruined it. 

Someone came back and suggested people are just using it as an excuse for not going to games 🤦‍♂️

I've cut down on the away games recently because of the enjoyment ruined by VAR. Really scunnered with it, love going to the football but can feel my favourite thing to do souring. I'd rather not bother anymore. 

Although today I've got less of an issue with VAR. More confused why the ref/linesman didn't give the first one live? Felt like yet again the referee didn't give and relied on VAR. That's equally an issue with VAR. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe