Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Our set up and tactics are very ineffective and negative…

But let’s not ignore how thoroughly incompetent every single player was in possession today.  Some of the passing and control was criminally bad.

We don’t give ourselves any kind of chance in matches by turning the ball over so often, and completely failing to pose any kind of threat.

We are truly awful. Why can't we hold the ball for any amount of time? We take terrible corners. We hardly ever shoot which is important if you want to score. Why oh why did we lone Chris Kane to Dunfermline, last night he showed more fight and determination for the whole 90 minutes than our front men did today? Why today only two subs and why always Kucheryavyi. Why put Stevie May on the bench and not give him a run? I am beginning to think we should have just gone with Alex Clelland and took our chances because this is just not working. Is it time for Craig Levein and Andy Kirk ( what does he contribute anyway ) to go?

We are in deep trouble and its all now Craig Leveins Fault.

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Sore one today.

GTF.

Thank you.

So was Carson’s life threatening challenge I hear. 

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

Aye. The last time we were heading for the playoffs we at least had Calum Hendry.

We've got f**k all this time.

We also had Rooney giving us something out wide and Hallberg capable of creating something out of nothing. Hallberg is probably the closest to something we have in the squad right now, but that’s Carey, who’s playing deeper. 

Sorry state of affairs when you’re getting a bit misty-eyed over a squad that was 45 minutes from being relegated. 

Other than Mitov,There just isn't really anything to hang your hat on with the team. Defence is slow and can be got at, no width, the strikers don't look up to it, midfield is supposedly a strength but we've regularly lost the battle in there recently. Effort and determination isn't there either. 

Completely scunnered with Saints just now, there's just nothing and hasn't been really since the European nights after the double. Sooner summer comes and we can try and start again (hopefully with a new owner and fresh investment) the better.

1 hour ago, Broughty said:

I am beginning to think we should have just gone with Alex Clelland and took our chances because this is just not working.

Mentioned this in the match thread. The games where Alec and co were in charge were like the shackles had been taken off them. Oh and we managed to score two goals in both games. 

Levein has put the shackles back on somehow. The media like to say Levein keeps things simple and organised. I couldn’t disagree more. Cleland had them organised immediately, back to basics with players in their natural positions and they looked comfortable playing. Nobody looks comfortable with the way Levein is trying to make us play. Whatever way that is.

Didn’t Cleland just have the killie game in charge? Struggling to remember for sure but thought it was.

Agree with your general point @Sh*teAndMuck though, that Levein seems to want to over complicate everything.

Just play a 4-4-2 and suffer the consequences. It’s not as if an extra defender is helping us get clean sheets.

The lack of fight today is as worrying as it was baffling, especially after how competitively we tried to play against rangers the previous week. That, and listening to a lot of Drey Wright’s comments during the match has me wondering how much the players believe in what the manager is trying to do. 

At 0-2 late on, for a teammate to highlight when the ball goes out of play for our throw in how we’re just walking after it as if it’s still 0-0, is fairly damning.

If you’re winning you can probably tolerate playing negatively, but I can’t believe many of the squad are fully into it right now.

Best wishes to Adama for a speedy recovery.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

The lack of fight today is as worrying as it was baffling, especially after how competitively we tried to play against rangers the previous week.

Its weak players.

When the know praise is easy to get - "oh we lost 3-0 to Rangers, but we worked really really hard and were just unlucky" - then you'll see a different team to the one who has to wade through the ditches every week with maximum effort.

Its a shame you cant time travel. Imagine a midfield of Muzz, Craig and Millar against this bunch.

18 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Didn’t Cleland just have the killie game in charge? Struggling to remember for sure but thought it was.

Yeah, Cleland had the Killie game ( 1st Nov), then Levein was announced 4 days later (5th Nov), and his first game was Motherwell (7th Nov).

Not really sure I get the Clelland logic. 

Macca did well as caretaker so we gave him the job... 🤷‍♂️ Look how that went. 

Clellands one game was a decent performance but I think that's probably more about a reaction from the players than some kind of Clelland management masterclass. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

On 23/02/2024 at 11:06, jamamafegan said:

Jesus, I thought the banter page was bad but when you see folk on P&B genuinely entertaining the idea of a new stadium then alarm bells for me are ringing. In short: this is madness.

1. There is nothing wrong with McDiarmid Park. This isn't some ancient terraced stadium built 100 years ago, it's only 35 years old. Does it need some TLC - absolutely, I've been saying this for years. New seats, improved concourses, better facilities. There is no reason why the current stadium couldn't be refurbished a bit to bring it up to a better standard.

2. Folk are saying they want the ground in or near the city centre 😄 pull the other one will you. Where would a new stadium go in the city centre? The Inch, on a floodplain? A huge loss of public greenspace? Non-starter. The only place (which has been discussed here before) is the old railway yard by Tulloch. Apparently however the ground there is toxic, something to do with its industrial past - so is not a viable option from what I've been told. Other than that there is nowhere to put a new stadium in or near the city. Nowhere. The reality is we are looking beyond Perth, further than where McDiarmid is already. If that were to happen then we are fucked. there is no way, no way in hell, that folk will traipse out to the countryside for Saints games. It's hard enough to attract people as it is. 

3. On the capacity, I will not accept sub 10,000 capacity. Nobody should accept this. Previous games in Europe in the not so distant past have shown that we are capable of selling out McDiarmid. I would be sickened if we lowered ourselves to a 8000 seater diddy ground like St Mirren Park. Dundee are building a bigger ground than Dens - they have ambition and clearly believe that in the future they can draw bigger crowds to home games. We should be thinking the same, we have to be ambitious. The fans are there. There's even a guy here saying he wants LESS than 8000! No way man, no way. f**k that shit.

If there is any truth in these rumours of us getting a new stadium then we should all be gravely concerned. It's an utterly ridiculous idea. Even if a new stadium included plans for a wine bar let me tell you there is no volume of mulled wine in the world that will change my mind.

😂