Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

At least we're finding it out now, I guess.

Alloa a good side though, and with 3 young players looking to make an impression we were probably never going to look organised.

Wouldn't be shocked if Sidibeh replaces one at half time and I think Smith would be the favourite to drop out. McPake hasn't take any chance to beat a man despite multiple chances, while Steven can't figure out how to escape the double marking he's getting.

Just win this somehow now and it's a much needed lesson learned about the three of them.

We have a bit to go to be honest, the three loan players ended up being so important as last season went on and we haven't brought anyone in to replace them yet. Need a bit more in the attacking positions and our season will hinge on who else we get in the next few weeks. Plenty to like about our performance tonight though and potential is there if we can improve concentration at back and get some more help for the boys in attack. 

Steven is worth persisting with. He took time with us but as he found his role and grew in confidence he was great. I'd give him more games and if you ultimately need to send him out to the Championship then fair enough. Or us, but I accept he's already done it our level. McPake hasn't. 

Can only assume Saints missing a lot of men tonight? Very poor. 

Edited by Waspie

2 minutes ago, Waspie said:

We have a bit to go to be honest, the three loan players ended up being so important as last season went on and we haven't brought anyone in to replace them yet. Need a bit more in the attacking positions and our season will hinge on who else we get in the next few weeks. Plenty to like about our performance tonight though and potential is there if we can improve concentration at back and get some more help for the boys in attack. 

Steven is worse persisting with. He took time with us but as he found his role and grew in confidence he was great. I'd give him more games and if you ultimately need to send him out to the Championship then fair enough. Or us, but I accept he's already done it our level. McPake hasn't. 

No. We're just shite.

"Proper football guys" like Levein and Davidson are ruining my only hobby. Inability to produce a team that give you ANY reason to get behind. 

He talked the talk last week about how the fans just want a team with a bit of fight and commitment etc. That certainly wasn't it. 

The Brechin performance was miles off what was required as well. 

I do not want to go to watch Saints anymore. I'd rather not bother. We'll get another dull miserable interview from Levein about how he expects better but we dont see it. 

6 wins this calendar year in competitive games is simply not good enough. 2 of those were Brechin and Morton. Those results include failing to beat Livi on two occasions as well as a defeat to Airdrie. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 minute ago, Waspie said:

Not really. Cameron (CB), Carey (LW), and Wright (RW), probably the only 3 who didn't feature tonight who'd be in our starting eleven and really they probably don't change much.

I think, in terms of top flight proven quality, we have about 6 players who have shown they're top flight quality and would play regularly for other sides, and four of them are strikers.

2 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Steven is worse persisting with. He took time with us but as he found his role and grew in confidence he was great. I'd give him more games and if you ultimately need to send him out to the Championship then fair enough. Or us, but I accept he's already done it our level. McPake hasn't. 

Very surprised McPake has got a gig in the Premiership. Has always flattered to deceive and wasn't especially effective for Stirling in league one last season. 

Agree about Taylor. He was terrific for us, but he needed a few games to find his confidence. Didn't look ready for a two division step up though. IMO he needs to go somewhere where he'll play regularly.

On 10/06/2024 at 17:02, Mr November said:

I think he was out of contract but I imagine there is a (small) compensation fee due?

Said similar on the Airdrie thread but it’s a good signing for St. Johnstone and Rae. He got a bad injury in pre-season a couple of years ago so missed his first six months with us but the difference in the defence when he came back was notable. He ultimately saved the penalty which won us promotion that season so I don’t have a bad word to say about him. 

He did well again this season until he got another bad injury in March. Our style of play left him quite exposed at times but he’s very comfortable playing from the back, is pretty tall and will hopefully become a bit more commanding with that as he gets older. It might be because of our style of play but his mistakes were often funny and bizarre, conceding late goals while standing at the halfway line and he particularly loves charging out his box, sometimes attempting to tackle players outside the box when doing so. It’s a good laugh when he gets away with it. 

He’s maybe not quite ready to start every week at this level, and isn’t as good as Mitov, but the potential is definitely there.

Just seen that second goal and yep, that’s Josh Rae alright. You just cannot keep him in his six yard box. I’m guessing between this and Levein’s comments about an experienced keeper that a new one will be joining shortly?

1 minute ago, printer said:

Very surprised McPake has got a gig in the Premiership. Has always flattered to deceive and wasn't especially effective for Stirling in league one last season. 

He is fucking rubbish.

This result is on Levein and Kirk. It's their team. 

In a game where it was vital to get the 3 points, which required more experienced players and potentially play some younger ones in last game, Levein's arrogance has cost us.

Is this the sliding doors moment where he realises his faults in terms of signings (specifically Connor Smith and Josh McPake, new contract to McPherson) and quickly realises they need punted pronto and bring in quality - I hope so, but have my doubts.

Concerns re goalkeeper that will eat into budget when a new goalkeeper arrives now too.

What player(s) in that team today has the desire and will give their all for the Saints shirt?  Yet Levein ostracises Stevie May - i know this divides opinion - he may not score the goals but he would lead by example and show the other players up in terms of fight and intelligent play.

There needs to be a balance of experience and young players, but only if they are good enough.

Levein / Kirk have a lot to think about and sort the squad quickly.

4 minutes ago, printer said:

Very surprised McPake has got a gig in the Premiership.

So were all of us. Levein seems to have an obsession with being clever, and finding "hidden gems", that tracks back to his last spell in charge of Hearts.

A former hot prospect whos lost his way is like striking gold for him I'd guess, and we'll pay the price. Its the same reason we're stuck with Connor Smith who also looks miles away from what we need.

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’m guessing between this and Levein’s comments about an experienced keeper that a new one will be joining shortly?

Seems that way. Leveins spoken about not being sure if he wants another keeper or not since Raes started well, but I'd guess tonight has cleared up any doubt.

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Mcpake is here until 2026. Hahaha.

List of players contract until then or later isnt great. 

Sinclair, Rae, Sanders, Raymond, Franczak, Kucheriayvi, McPake, Ikpeazu, Steven, Sidibeh.

Just now, The Saintee said:

Any old Hearts keepers available?

Henry Smith?

Nicky Walker? 

Genuinely think Craig Gordon would turn us down now.