Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

May wouldn't get in any other team in the Premiership.

Thank the guy for his past services and punt.

If May is your answer to your teams problems, you're in deep shit.

This.

It may transpire that we pass the bold Stevie on the way down at the end of the season but it definitely is the right time for him to move on from St Johnstone. His top wage can be used on someone who'll actually make the squad.

It's abundantly clear we need premiership quality in the team. Signing punts with essentially 0% of success when you're moaning about having no money makes the May thing even more mystifying. 

Sanders (signed for a fee), McPake, Cocks and Kirk (signed for a fee after claiming to have no money left and after saying he needs to get players out before others are coming in). What was the point in any of these signings? Just retain McGowan who wasn't offered a deal, don't bother with anyone for the other 3 as none of those signings were needed, or just batch together all the cash for those deals and sign one competent winger. 

Hmm, can’t be a coincidence most of the probably locker room leaders have been moved on one way or another this window. 

Clears it up for Captain Coward and Nepo Kirk to lead us into the championship. 

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

His top wage can be used on someone who'll actually make the squad.

I’m sad about how it’s ending for May and agree he could have had something to offer in a role behind the striker. 

But if getting his wage back means we can get a player like, e.g, Jason Holt in a position we’re desperately short in .. I think I’d say that’s worth the trade off. We’re stuffed full of strikers and also have a few better players who can do the CAM thing, but Sprangler is the only acceptable holding midfielder in the squad. Cuts had to be made somewhere.

Fully accept I might be on another planet to everyone else but I get the logic, if not the handling of a club legend.

It’s about how Levein has used his budget though, if May has a year left on his contract and we want him to leave for a championship team there is a good chance we are going to have to pay up part of his contract so it doesn’t really free up a big wage. 

Given we already had Sidibeh, Clark and Kimpioka - May could have been used as a more than useful option alongside those three until his contract was up next summer while other more pressing areas of the squad could have been strengthened. Instead Levein has signed another two strikers and left himself short of budget for other areas while also filling the squad up with unnecessary signings that won’t improve the squad or team. 

6 minutes ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

It’s about how Levein has used his budget though, if May has a year left on his contract and we want him to leave for a championship team there is a good chance we are going to have to pay up part of his contract so it doesn’t really free up a big wage. 

Given we already had Sidibeh, Clark and Kimpioka - May could have been used as a more than useful option alongside those three until his contract was up next summer while other more pressing areas of the squad could have been strengthened. Instead Levein has signed another two strikers and left himself short of budget for other areas while also filling the squad up with unnecessary signings that won’t improve the squad or team. 

Yeah I fully agree Levein has made an absolute meal out of it this summer, and this move (bombing out a club legend so you can sign at least one more competent CM/CB/winger/LB/GK) is a symptom of that. 

I HOPE that he wouldn’t let May go if it didn’t at least free up some money as that would make literally no sense. 

13 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Yeah I fully agree Levein has made an absolute meal out of it this summer, and this move (bombing out a club legend so you can sign at least one more competent CM/CB/winger/LB/GK) is a symptom of that. 

I HOPE that he wouldn’t let May go if it didn’t at least free up some money as that would make literally no sense. 

It will free up whatever proportion of his current wages the next team that sign him are willing to take on then Saints will make up the difference I imagine. Given. he’s likely to move sideways or down a level, I would think it’s quite unlikely his next club would pay even 75% of what he’s on at the moment but that’s just a guess. 

Paying a player like May to leave while making the signings we have just makes no sense when he definitely could have been a useful squad player this year. 

41 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

This.

It may transpire that we pass the bold Stevie on the way down at the end of the season but it definitely is the right time for him to move on from St Johnstone. His top wage can be used on someone who'll actually make the squad.

I understand this point but would you trust the man who has signed Connor Smith, McPake etc to spend any money wisely?

As others are alluding to, it's not Mays departure as such but rather the timing of it. We're stacked in the striker department because we've signed the coaches son and an ex player of Leviens in the area that required the least strengthening over the summer. I also doubt Uche was one of the cheap punts that Levein was hinting at in his interview. 

Aside from that, May finished last season playing left wing; ahead of Connor Smith. We've signed McPake too. May's not the player he was but he's streets better than those two and has a much better attitude than the first. 

56 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

This.

Only if May goes without taking a penny, through any "loyalty bonus" clauses, or through needing to help his new club top up his wage regardless of its a loan or permanent. 

Swapping him for Kirk, even if you're looking at May being on £3k a week and Kirk costing £50k and £900pw, is around a £1k a week, at best, saving. That being slashed in the realistic situation where we don't have May but still have to pay £1k a week of his wages to help him out the door.

So to me we've swapped May for Kirk and saved virtually nothing because I think...

May - £3k a week - £152k a year

Kirk - £800 a week - £41.6k a year

Kirk fee - £50k

May compensation to leave - £1k a week - £52k a year 

Overall savings - £200pw - £10.4k a year

... a realistic outcome and saves us nothing while giving us less "proven" players?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only if May goes without taking a penny, through any "loyalty bonus" clauses, or through needing to help his new club top up his wage regardless of its a loan or permanent. 

Swapping him for Kirk, even if you're looking at May being on £3k a week and Kirk costing £50k and £900pw, is around a £1k a week, at best, saving. That being slashed in the realistic situation where we don't have May but still have to pay £1k a week of his wages to help him out the door.

So to me we've swapped May for Kirk and saved virtually nothing because I think...

May - £3k a week - £152k a year

Kirk - £800 a week - £41.6k a year

Kirk fee - £50k

May compensation to leave - £1k a week - £52k a year 

Overall savings - £200pw - £10.4k a year

... a realistic outcome and saves us nothing while giving us less "proven" players?

Supposition.

YOU don't know, neither do I.

Just now, tree house tam said:

Supposition.

YOU don't know, neither do I.

You were telling me exactly what May was on the other week, Tam.

He might walk away for nothing and accept a huge pay cut to play somewhere else, which changes the whole dynamic of this, but I can't see why he would.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

You were telling me exactly what May was on the other week, Tam.

He might walk away for nothing and accept a huge pay cut to play somewhere else, which changes the whole dynamic of this, but I can't see why he would.

The post you quoted is where I say his wage can be used for someone who can actually make a squad. That's already happening in Kirk. If it allows any free money to be added to what's already there then that is a bonus, mainly because Stevie Mays wage was a dead wage. One that was wasted by someone who potentially would be sitting in the stand for a year.

Stevie is doing the right thing and moving on, compare that to Ali Crawford....

15 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

I understand this point but would you trust the man who has signed Connor Smith, McPake etc to spend any money wisely?

Exactly this. If it was a competent manager we were talking about, then there would be an understanding by supporters in terms of transfer / budget strategy regards May.

However, Levein's initial positive transfer business (Sidibeh, Kimpioka and Kentjens) has now spiralled downwards to the utter dross, coupled with the insult of paying out transfer fees.

If a competent manager was identifying necessary and required quality signings with May's wages, then fair enough, but that is not going to happen.  Levein is the managerial equivalent of Flaherty when it comes to decisions and money (i.e not to be trusted and should be struck off from working with money).

The fact Levein is ousting one of the last experienced voices in the changing room is telling - demonstrates further being a dinosaur manager, not utilising experience in the dressing room but instead alienanting this and just being left to him and Kirk to run amock with their own irrational views and tactics and silencing the squad - recipe for disaster.

I would not normally say this of players, but I would be ok with May sitting this situation out in the hope of Levein being punted and May being brought back into the squad and treated with respect. Carbon copy of previous McGowan situation and look how that worked out.

Perhaps some communications to Mr Webb and Stan Harris from supporters are required before this situation gets any worse.

Wanting to keep Stevie May isn't as much a reflection on his current powers as a player but more the inadequacies of others in the squad.

Stevie May isn't a better centre forward option than the others we have but he would offer more to the team than several of the attacking midfield options, including Nicky Clark in the ten role, simply but virtue of the fact he works hard and moves intelligently.

There is never a world when Connor Smith or Josh McPake offer more to a St Johnstone team than Stevie May.

And 100% yes to Jason Holt.

37 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The post you quoted is where I say his wage can be used for someone who can actually make a squad. That's already happening in Kirk. If it allows any free money to be added to what's already there then that is a bonus, mainly because Stevie Mays wage was a dead wage. One that was wasted by someone who potentially would be sitting in the stand for a year.

Yeah but that's the problem really, he shouldn't be a "dead wage" really.

But the decisions been made so there's no point moaning, I guess.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Hmm, can’t be a coincidence most of the probably locker room leaders have been moved on one way or another this window. 

Clears it up for Captain Coward and Nepo Kirk to lead us into the championship. 

Locker room 🤣🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Can't wait to see his 'experienced' replacement (s), no doubt a midfield general and a nippy wee winger.

No chance.

f**k off Levein!

Lewis Neilson on loan, it seems like.